1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Root + verizon = outages?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by z662, Jan 19, 2010.

1. z662

z662 New Member

Hello all,

I currently have a droid rooted but I wanted to post here to clarify something that I have been hearing as of late. Apparently iphone users experienced a black listing of devices when an update was released (silently perhaps...not sure about how it was installed) but regardless, I guess the MAC addresses were banned from the network due to the jailbroken/rooted iphones. I just wanted to know if anyone on here knew of verizon's policy on rooted hardware, and if this is something I should be concerned about. I am not worried about having to unroot and reroot if needed, but being blacklisted from the network would certainly be sub-optimal. Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Verizon couldn't care less about Rooted Droids (except when it comes to warranties; they'll take the excuse to deny replacing your phone for free) as long as you don't abuse their network (tethering and torrenting for months on end). Just be smart with your Data and revert back to stock if you need to turn your Droid in. Otherwise, it's pretty safe.
  3. z662

z662 New Member

That does seem to be true (from the brief amount of research that I did before posting) however I couldnt find any articles where they quoted this etc. or stated it in a policy. Do you know of instances when they have been lenient on issues regarding this or have any hard evidence? Not that I dont believe you...just always like to play it safe :) But I do agree they seem to be much more "as long as you pay your bill and dont try to get free stuff we dont care what you do" ( I had a hacked chocolate with free 1x modem internet service and they never seemed to care) That reminds me of another question I have been trying to find the answer to...If you DID have a problem that needed to be fixed with your phone and it was rooted, can they easily tell or did they need a terminal app to verify? If so, would it be better to just 'lose your phone' and activate your insurance for a new replacement? Thanks for the response btw!
  4. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

If anything was in writing, it would state that a modified device would terminate all warranties and services. But in actuality, they are pretty lenient. I'm only going off stories other users have shared.

One user in particular took it to a Verizon store and they told him they would not service it because it had unauthorized software loaded, but they would not do anything about it. He took it to another Verizon store and they serviced it no problem.
  5. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Look at all the modded BB's on the VZW network.....I personally doubt they would start blacklisting devices....
  6. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

they never said anything about my bb.. I don't think they really care.
  7. Topsy

Topsy New Member

Really makes no sense from a business standpoint to lock rooted droids out.
    They'll make more money over a 2 year contract if they continue to let us do our thing.
    As Big Lou stated, tethering is where they can get nasty, keep data usage sensible and you should be fine, they're already heading towards a pay per usage business model anyhow with the 4G network.
  8. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

Theres a huge difference between the iphone and the droid. the Iphone is apples baby, they do NOT LIKE at all people tinkering with their stuff and like to maintain total control over their operating system on that device, which is probably why they would black list people like that, I mean just look at how they rule over the iphone app store.

The droid on the other hand is an open source phone which benefits greatly from people making changes and optimizations for the community. I'm sure there are some things verizon would not like and using things like rooted phones to pirate apps is prob something that you shouldn't do and should be discouraged, but unless you do something that abuses the verizon network I really don't think they care, or should. The only problems I can see are just potential warranty issues.

The droid and android phones in general were made to be modded out in my opinion. Just be aware that you won't get support if you break your phone doing that though, not from verizon at least.

It's like a windows vs linux mentality.microsoft would break you like a twig if they caught you hacking mods into their os. linux on the other hand would greet you with open arms.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  9. z662

z662 New Member

Ok thank you very much for answering both my questions
  10. Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr New Member

Couldn't have been said better, and you are absolutely right
  11. zathus

zathus New Member

VZ has no clue as far as i can tell if your rooted or not. I had my droid rooted, used ever feature posable for a rooted phone. to the point were I think I over did it lol cuz it started rebooting on me at random times all the time. so I unrooted it, called up VZW. told them it was acting funny, took it in to my closest VZW store and they gave me a new one no questions asked. if your smart about it, rooting shouldnt effect your warrenty at all.

its those ppl that call up the VZ suport and ask, Hey I rooted my phone but now my GPS doesnt work, what do i do! lolz
  12. papy72

papy72 New Member

How is APPLE blacklisting anyone from a network they don't own/operate?
  13. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Apply and AT&T work closely together. This is why Apple has been so hesitant about working with Verizon; the big red doesn't need Apple and thus they won't get bullied.
  14. Topsy

Topsy New Member

AT&T was saved by Apple's Iphone, without it Verizon has them beat hands down on service and network coverage.

But hey, without the At&t and Apple union, who knows if Android would've ever happened.
    Personally I'm grateful :)
Search tags for this page

how to take verizon phone off blacklist

verizon ban rooting