Root using Linux?

LittleLebowski

Reaction score
I've had nothing but failure and frustration using OS X and a Windows VM. Can I just root this thing using Linux?

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Ya, it would work, but you'd still have to use adb from a terminal.

What methods have you tried? I suggest the original method posted at Android police. There is a video at the end of the post that gives you a speedy preview of how to do it. If you start that video you'll see it link you to two other video tutorials. Adb setup, and steps 2-9. Watch the videos and follow along with your virtual Windows box and you'll be fine. The only thing I ran into was my phone not connecting to adb whenever I'd reboot. All you have to do for that is unchecked usb debugging and check it again.

If you do it this way you know where you're having issues should you have them. It took me an hour...

Good luck!

sent via rooted THUNDERBOLT using Tapatalk

OP
L

LittleLebowski

Reaction score
I've tried the 3 step root for OS X on a Mac and the manual method on a Mac. Now my Windows VM is not finding the phone before and after installing the HTC sync software.

On the Mac, either method lost the phone after one reboot of the phone. I manually killed adb and started it again but the phone still shows up as offline every time. Extremely frustrating.

I got the FryeTech Mac method to go all the way through twice but no root at the end. The third time, it failed to find the phone after the first reboot. Maddening.

Last edited:

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Go watch the videos I was talking about, they'll help...

OP
L

LittleLebowski

Reaction score
I watched the videos. How exactly are they going to solve the problem of my phone not showing up via adb devices on OS X or Windows?

sgtguthrie

Reaction score
Install the drivers for Windows like in the adb setup video.