Root/Update question

razrlen

Reaction score
Hello mates.Yesterday I bought my Moto razr and Im super happy with it.Very fast,thin and nice colors. Im from Bulgaria and my phone shows 651.73.19 version.If im right this version is a bit old.When I check for updates It says its up to date.What can I do ? If I root my device will I be able to get a new update in future or no ?
Thanks
smile.gif

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

Yes, you can root and still take future updates - however, if you root and freeze / rename bloat you will need to thaw / rename the bloat back so that the OTA doesn't fail. If you root, make a stock backup as soon as you root and then you can flash that before taking an update.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
You will want to get the Razr bootstrap APK so that you can access clockwork recovery to make a backup of your system prior to any modifications. You will use this as your stock backup.

~it's not just a phone~

melfunn

Reaction score
Is the "razr bootstrap.apk" the same as "safestrap.apk"? If not, where can I download razr bootstrap?
Thanx

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
R

razrlen

Reaction score
I rooted my device like in the topic,downloaded the bootloader and made full backup of my original system. This is all ?

melfunn

Reaction score
Thanks Smalltowngirl. I always appreciated your input in the DX forums. Great to see you , richmondmike & others over here now. I've only had my Razr for a week but I am very impressed how well it works even without modification. Very responsive and really I haven't had any negative battery issues. Again though, the more I use it the more I miss things like ad removal, full image backups, app backup, etc. I'll probably root in the next week or so. Again, it's comforting to see my "favorites" over here on the Razr forums.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I rooted my device like in the topic,downloaded the bootloader and made full backup of my original system. This is all ?

Yes, now you can research what mods you want to do...I would transfer the copy of your backup to your computer so that you have it just in case anything goes wrong with the SD card...Good luck and happy modding - ask questions if ya have them, we are happy to help out if we can!

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Thanks Smalltowngirl. I always appreciated your input in the DX forums. Great to see you , richmondmike & others over here now. I've only had my Razr for a week but I am very impressed how well it works even without modification. Very responsive and really I haven't had any negative battery issues. Again though, the more I use it the more I miss things like ad removal, full image backups, app backup, etc. I'll probably root in the next week or so. Again, it's comforting to see my "favorites" over here on the Razr forums.

It is hard to not root / not mod if ya have done it once and had fun with it (that includes breaking it and fixing it LOL)...there are alot of great people over here to help / answer questions and just have a great time! The goal is to always make it fun cause if it isn't who would want to do that? LOL

N4UPD

Reaction score
Question with all of these phones getting dropped data when using the hotspot app does wireless tether for root users stop the dropped data on wireless tethering? And also has anyone used easytether in place of hotspot app to see if data quits dropping out? thanks

OP
R

razrlen

Reaction score
Thank you for your help ! I have my backup on my PC :icon_ lala: And again - thanks for everything ,I appreciate your help dancedroid