Root The Google Chromecast With HubCap Root!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Google Chromecast is once again rootable. If you remember the Google Chromcast could be rooted out of the box when it first came out, but Google quickly released an update which patched the root exploit. The device would also auto apply the update as soon as you plugged in the device, which made your Google Chromecast unrootable. After much research and development Team-Eureka, GTVHacker, and failOverflow have released an all new root method. This will work on the updated version (17977). The method does require that you have some special hardware on hand. You will need either a Teensy 2 or a Teensy 2++, and the loader app for porgraming the device. If root is this important to you on the Chromecast you may want to head to the source link below for all the information and download links needed. You will want to hurry and get your Chromecast rooted before Google sends out another update.

Via XDA

D

Divergent

I'm still wondering what i can do with a rooted chromecast.

Sent from my SM-T320, Note 1 or S2 using Tapatalk 4

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB

Perhaps flash a custom ROM. Download Apps that are only available in the US etc...

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

thus is why i haven't tried to root my chromecast yet. unless i can put stiff like Plex or Popcorntime directly on my CC, i have no use since I'm in the US and haven't encountered any restrictions.