Root/ROM Questions

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by meishkov, Mar 10, 2010.

1. meishkov

meishkov New Member

OK. So here's the deal. I plan on rooting and putting on a rom. I can just use DroidMod 1.0 to root and to install SPrecovery correct? I want to use Doidmod to do it cuz it seems like it's all an automated process...no adb shell and entering commands and such. Then I want to install the smoked glass 5.0.1 rom using sprecovery from the automated install from droidmod. I hear that the overclocking kernels in smoked glass aren't as good as the ones that Chevy released. So I plan on installing one of those. Anybody see any problems I'd run into thus far??? For the kernels, which ones do I use? I mean there's like 4 different ones, some 5-slot, some 10-slot. And they're like EDE53 or ESE25 or something like that. So like which ones do I have to use? Are they all compatible with all droids?? What's the deal between the EDEs and EREs?? Not sure, someone please respond who has some expertise that can shed some light on these questions. I appreciate it. Thanks a lot.
  2. Kmart95

Kmart95 New Member

First of all its probably a better idea to install a 5 slot kernal not a ten slot because the 10 slots are less stable
  3. Tatootie

Tatootie New Member

I agree . From the reading I have been doing here, the 5 slots are safer.
    So, sounds like you are just going to use droid mod to root, and then you want to install adamz rom after?
    Definately read up. No roms will show up under the droid mod rom menu except for theirs, and to go back to stock.
    There are excellent tutorials here.
  4. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Thanks for the replys. So 5-slot kernel it is then. Well whats the difference between the EDE52 or whatever it is and the ESE25 I think it is? Which one would I need?

And I know I can't install Smoked Glass using DroidMod...I just wanted to use DroidMod to root the phone since it looks to be automatic and to install SPrecovery, then install the rom the way it's written in the Smoked Glass instructions. And you are right, great guides on this site that's for sure.
  5. Kmart95

Kmart95 New Member

All those ede53 and ese25 things that you see are 2.1 roms. Also something that with help you a lot with this whole rooting and flashing roms process is going on YouTube and searching for a guys channel named DroidReview. His videos helped me a TON with rooting and flashing roms. He covers how to root your phone, flash sprecrovery, install custom roms, overclock your phone and unroot your phone. And also I would still really recomend downloading Droid mod, because it provides the easiest way to root and unroot your phone. P.S. if you do decide to use Droidreviews bids, make sure that when you are using Droid root helper to move the get the tools folder to the root of your SD card. Hope this helps!
  6. meishkov

meishkov New Member

Yea I'll probably just go ahead with the Droidmod rom once I root with it just to see how it is, but I'm really liking the look of Smoked Glass, but I can always just flash it in sprecovery after installing Droidmod anyways right?
    I've read that the overclocking kernels included in Smoked Glass 5.0.1 aren't as good as the ones that ChevyNo1 released, and people that were running Smoked Glass were using his overclocking kernels instead. I'm just wondering which ones I would need? Don't know what's the whole deal with EDEs ESEs and such...was hoping I'd be able to find an explanation somehwere but so far nothing. Thanks for your replys though.
  7. Kmart95

Kmart95 New Member

The easiest way to get the smoked glass look with droid mod would be by using metamorph.