Root Question

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ya that's true. One of those "cross that bridge when you come to it" things.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

sjsharks84

Reaction score
You shouldn't need to SBF if you just accidentally uninstalled APKs. All the stock APKs are in this forum.

I'd suggest purchasing Root Explorer - this will make it much easier to change read/write permissions to the /data/app folder to place your APKs from your SDcard. The alternative would be to adb via terminal, which some folks aren't very comfortable with.

Also, I find it a heck of a lot easier to simply rename the .APK files to .BAK or some other extension. The programs will not show up in you apps list, yet they will be easily accessible when you want to un-root your phone.

BRKDR08

Reaction score
Dumb question im nly rooting to be able to use wifitether so if i root and get update then un root update should go in as long as i dont delet any stock apps doesnt bother me them being there

OP
C

cropcirclejerk

Reaction score
I am also interested in the above question. So, for future reference, how do I do this sbf thing, it will replace all my bloatware flawlessly? Or will I still need to find it somewhere to throw it in before doing sbf. Thanks!

-Chris

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I am also interested in the above question. So, for future reference, how do I do this sbf thing, it will replace all my bloatware flawlessly? Or will I still need to find it somewhere to throw it in before doing sbf. Thanks!

-Chris

When you flash the sbf, you falsh your phone back to the way it was the day you got it. So yes, it will perform flawlessly as far as getting all the original apps back on your phone.
Here is a link on how to flash the sbf.
Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers

If you use this method, I recommend that you read a huge portion of the replies to gain knowledge of stumbling blocks and mistakes others have made while following the instructions. It did not work for me the first time, nor for many others, because we did not pay attention to the directions.

I am sure if you look on this forum you will find similar instructions, this is what I used back when and I have it bookmarked.

Now, once you get back to stock, here is what I suggest you do.

1. Re-root.

2. Purchase Droid 2 bootstrapper.

3. Use Droid bootstrapper to back up your setup. Rename this back up "Stock" or something like that.

4. Use Titanium (you will have to get the paid version) and "freeze" your bloat. You could uninstall them if you do not want to pay the 5 bucks for Titanium license, BUT if you uninstall something you will need, you will have to restore to get it back. Example: I deleted messaging apks because I use Handcent. Then I discovered I could not do MMS without the original messaging apk's.

Then you can do anything you want with the phone until an update comes out, at which time, you simply restore the phone back to "stock" with Droid 2 bootstrapper using your "Stock" backup file.

You just repeat the steps and back up the new version of stock and carry on. I did not delete my original back up just in case the update does not work or eliminates a feature I want. After time, if I am satisfied with the update, I will delete the original.

OP
C

cropcirclejerk

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you for the detailed response. I will do just that :)

-Chris

Jeeper8889

Reaction score

-Chris

When you flash the sbf, you falsh your phone back to the way it was the day you got it. So yes, it will perform flawlessly as far as getting all the original apps back on your phone.
Tutorial/Walkthrough for flashing an .sbf to Droid 2 (unrooting/factory restore) - xda-developers

If you use this method, I recommend that you read a huge portion of the replies to gain knowledge of stumbling blocks and mistakes others have made while following the instructions. It did not work for me the first time, nor for many others, because we did not pay attention to the directions.

I am sure if you look on this forum you will find similar instructions, this is what I used back when and I have it bookmarked.

1. Re-root.

3. Use Droid bootstrapper to back up your setup. Rename this back up "Stock" or something like that.

4. Use Titanium (you will have to get the paid version) and "freeze" your bloat. You could uninstall them if you do not want to pay the 5 bucks for Titanium license, BUT if you uninstall something you will need, you will have to restore to get it back. Example: I deleted messaging apks because I use Handcent. Then I discovered I could not do MMS without the original messaging apk's.

Then you can do anything you want with the phone until an update comes out, at which time, you simply restore the phone back to "stock" with Droid 2 bootstrapper using your "Stock" backup file.

You just repeat the steps and back up the new version of stock and carry on. I did not delete my original back up just in case the update does not work or eliminates a feature I want. After time, if I am satisfied with the update, I will delete the original.

Hi, I'm on step 3 of your directions and I am not sure how to use bootsrapper to backup the stock. I am new to all this rooting stuff so most of this stuff is going over my head. I did search and have been reading several topics for a few hours now and I think I will be able to figure all this out; my main goal is getting rid of the bloatware. I'm stuck on step 3 though, I have the phone rooted and have droid2 bootstrapper installed. Not sure how to make a back up though.

detox

Reaction score

-Chris

1. Re-root.

Hi, I'm on step 3 of your directions and I am not sure how to use bootsrapper to backup the stock. I am new to all this rooting stuff so most of this stuff is going over my head. I did search and have been reading several topics for a few hours now and I think I will be able to figure all this out; my main goal is getting rid of the bloatware. I'm stuck on step 3 though, I have the phone rooted and have droid2 bootstrapper installed. Not sure how to make a back up though.

Click bootstrap recovery. Then click reboot recovery. It will send you to clockwork recovery. You can create a backup there. Choose backup and restore. Then choose backup and wait. Your backup is complete. Now reboot. After you do that, if you have rom manager installed, i would go there and rename your backup so you don't get them confused. In rom manager, go to manage and restore backups. press the backup you just created and choose rename.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Jeeper8889

Reaction score
Hmm ok I tried that and when I hit reboot recovery the phone just turned off and then restarted like normal, I didn't see anything about clockwork recovery or anything. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

detox

Reaction score
Hit bootstrap recovery first. It should say success. Click ok. Then click reboot recovery

Jeeper8889

Reaction score
Hit bootstrap recovery first. It should say success. Click ok. Then click reboot recovery

Ohhhh ok I got it now thank you for your help, I am a noob at this stuff :(