Root question

pepito113

Reaction score
Just have a few quick questions. I have the frg83g 2.2.2 and I want to make sure I have a few things straight. Is it true you CANT root OTA??? You have to download it to a computer and downloaded it to the phone? Is superoneclick the best and easiest option? Phone was never been rooted. I want the easiest possible way...

OP
P

pepito113

Reaction score
Do I need to download it on a computer or can I do it on my phone OTA.

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Yeah sorry about my previous post and how short it was. Every method to root an up to date OG Droid requires a PC.

Super1click and the one I linked earlier both require pretty much the same setup. Download a few files, install drivers and program on PC, setup phone, plug phone into PC and run program (being extremely generic but just saying this is the basic steps for both methods). Super1click roots your phone then you have to install a custom recovery after it is done, while root D1 regardless method installs a custom recovery then you have to root it (the guide goes through the steps on how to do this). Both are arguably equally as easy.

The Root Droid 1 Regardless method has a lot of information that can be very helpful to you later. Super1click there is no detailed explanation as to what is going on, and why. It isn't hard to figure out with a bit of reading or asking. But since they both require the same amount of effort, I am going to recommend the method that is documented better. Plus if you don't plan on installing a custom ROM it gets rid of FRS (explained in that thread).

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score
superoneclick unroot?

I have a kind of odd question... I've got a d1... if I use superoneclick to root, does the "unroot" button restore the phone to it's "original" state... i.e. does it pull EVERYTHING off that the root button put on??

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
I have a kind of odd question... I've got a d1... if I use superoneclick to root, does the "unroot" button restore the phone to it's "original" state... i.e. does it pull EVERYTHING off that the root button put on??

No. It will just unroot it. It should pull off everything the program does (which should be the root files and possibly busybox).

Everything else you have done to the phone, kernels, themes, ROMs, custom recoveries....etc will not be touched. You will need to use an update.zip or flash an .sbf file to get back to stock

DoctorDeDroid

Reaction score

No. It will just unroot it. It should pull off everything the program does (which should be the root files and possibly busybox).

Everything else you have done to the phone, kernels, themes, ROMs, custom recoveries....etc will not be touched. You will need to use an update.zip or flash an .sbf file to get back to stock

Sorry I should have been more specific... I was in fact referring only to the superoneclick root... as if I root then immediately un-root. But that is exactly what I wanted to know. A very big thanks for your response.

droidlady05

Reaction score
Cupfulloflol, will unrooting using superoneclick remove superuser from the app drawer if you need to return to stock? I keep reading that people are unable to get rid of superuser when they need to take their phone in to Big Red.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Cupfulloflol, will unrooting using superoneclick remove superuser from the app drawer if you need to return to stock? I keep reading that people are unable to get rid of superuser when they need to take their phone in to Big Red.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

If you are rooted it should work fine. If you aren't rooted and still have the app in your drawer you need to tackle it a different way(re-rooting or flashing an .sbf would be two ways to solve it).

B-boy™

Team B-boy™/Jedi Counsel
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
When I unrooted my wife's Droid, I forgot to uninstall the su app so I just renamed it and used a different icon....never heard a word.... ;) ... and then downloaded a bunch of apps and filled the desktops with apps.... not that this is the best idea, just saying it worked fine... on my own, I left su and still didn't hear anything.... I don't think they look, or they look for other things to see if the phone was rooted.... but on both cases I flashed a nonrooted stock rom, got the OTA, and had stock recovery too...

Sent from the imagination of Uncle B-boy

Last edited: