Root question

veggiop

Reaction score
I am no where near ready for this skill wise but for a layman what does rooting really do? What are some things that I will realy be able to do that I will say "wow"?

cleave

Reaction score
Wireless tethering, overclock (kinda like adjusting how fast your phone runs), load custom roms, etc.
I was just like you about a month ago. I decided to root my D1 and I'm glad I did. My phone was running really slow and constantly freezing up. Rooting eliminated all my problems. Do it...you'll be glad you did.

~Sent using my thumbs~

trucougar

Reaction score
In basic terms what is the best way to root my dx

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
layman's terms for root - administrative privileges on ur device.

KHeeney5

Reaction score
There is a full tutorial linked in my signature. Check it out.

trucougar

Reaction score
I think I am going to root my phone just to see if it is for me. I think I mostly want to do it for faster phone and better battery. Is it a dumb thing to do for someone that is really know nothing about smart phones

jmorton10

Reaction score
I rooted mine as soon as it was possible, but the main (really only) reason I did it was to allow free wireless tethering (which i use all the time)

I have since found a few other things that you needed to be rooted for, but tethering was the main one.

~John

trucougar

Reaction score
This might sound stupid but what does wireless tethering mean

KHeeney5

Reaction score
This might sound stupid but what does wireless tethering mean

It means you can tether your phone's 3g to a laptop or another device without Verizon charging you (if you are rooted)

seanb819

Reaction score
I also was experimenting with rooting even though i havent a clue it just sounds so good. I successfully rooted my droid with Z4root and installed clockworkmod. Can some one tell me where to go from here, cuz i really dont no what im doing?? :-/ :)

Sent from my GT-I5500 using DroidForums App

KHeeney5

Reaction score
I also was experimenting with rooting even though i havent a clue it just sounds so good. I successfully rooted my droid with Z4root and installed clockworkmod. Can some one tell me where to go from here, cuz i really dont no what im doing?? :-/ :)

Well what do you want to do? You can flash ROM's via clockwork, but you don't HAVE to do anything...

Stumpzzz

Reaction score
This was a helpful thread for a newb like me...thnx!

seanb819

Reaction score
Well what do you want to do? You can flash ROM's via clockwork, but you don't HAVE to do anything...

Thanks, im not even guna get into flashing roms i wudn be able for that atall im such a noob..! :pBut it seems like nothing has changed??

KHeeney5

Reaction score
Rooting just gives you administrative access. Then you can tether for free and flash ROM's.

Thanks, im not even guna get into flashing roms i wudn be able for that atall im such a noob..! :pBut it seems like nothing has changed??

Sent from my DROIDX