Root question regarding my Galaxy Note

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by enduser2941, Aug 12, 2012.

1. enduser2941

enduser2941 Member

Hey all,

I was looking to Root my Note when Unforgiven replied to me with something that made me have to ask this question before I potentially cause myself some heartaches and headaches.

I was looking at this thread [HOW TO] and some root terminology as it came up when looking up a definition of OTA. (I know that this link talks about the Thunderbolt and Root) According to the link OTA stands for Over The Air, which I can only assume refers to updates pushed out over the air from the manufactures or the provider, however what stopped me in my tracks was that the first thing this link says is "DO NOT ever attempt to accept an OTA while rooted, an official OTA update needs the stock recovery to apply it. attempting to take an OTA without the stock recovery can result in a failed harmless attempt,a fixable bootloop,or even a brick."

Now having read that my questions are, does this statement apply to my Note? If so, does it apply if I am not changing my ROM from the stock ROM? Basically was that my plan was to root in order to allow superuser so that I could have more control over my device. Install apps that require root, remove bloatware and the like, but I had no intention of replacing the stock ROM nor reinstalling the ROM. When rooting do I need to somehow create a recovery ROM? I was going to use the following link and follow the instructions outlined on this page. Root Note [ICS][GingerBread] Also my other assumption is that this link refers to rooting either the ICS or GingerBread versions of the OS?

I would really appreciate some input on these questions, and yes I have read the All things root mega thread.

Thanks! [​IMG]
  2. JSM9872

JSM9872 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Typically when trying to accept an OTA you need to have the stock recovery in place and all system apps need to be there. You should be able to root, download/use root apps, and still be able to accept an OTA providing you did not modify/delete those things.
  3. enduser2941

enduser2941 Member

Hey JSM, so the only things I was really planning on touching was removing some bloatware, and running some apps to control CPU for OC and other things like that. I know that that could potentially change some system configs, but Im not looking to remove any system apps, nor switching the ROM's. That being said if what you said it accurate, I should be ok? I am guessing that there already is some kind of recovery on their as I upgraded from the Factory Froyo, to the OTA version of ICS 4.0.4 from Samsung via Kies. Does this sound correct to you?

Thanks for the reply!
  4. JSM9872

Well if you disable/freeze those bloat apps then you would be OK, you would just need to unfreeze them before accepting the update. And to clarify some terms, bloat apps + system apps, since that's where they normally are contained.

There is always a stock recovery, so yes to the fact there is a recovery. But I am not familiar with your phone or this particular upgrade you performed to be able to weigh in on how it would now react to an OTA update.
  5. enduser2941

enduser2941 Member

Thats OK, this was very helpful! You mentioned to disable/freeze the processes... Is this something only available as superuser? Would you mind advising me as to how you disable or freeze the apps? I am not sure if this is something specific to the device, or if its something available once I enable superuser. Thanks again, I really appreciate you help. I wish there was a way to thank you in the forums, or give you a thumbs up or something :)
  6. JSM9872

There are apps on the market you can use to freeze with, they do require superuser which only needs root and does not mess with recovery or anything. And it is not phone specific. If you search for something like "freezing apps on android" you should get a ton of guides etc to look at, I only know the basics.

And no problem, a simple thank you (like you have done) or hitting the like button is more then enough :)
  7. enduser2941

enduser2941 Member

If I could find the "Like" Button, I'da done it already :) So, I will say thank you again! Thank You! I always find you guys here in this forum, much more pleasant and willing to help then the other forums, and I know that this forum is more directed towards Verizon devices (at least thats the way it seems), yet I don't have a verizon device and everyone here is very welcoming!

When I finally make the move to root my Note, Ill come back to this thread and let you know how I made out. :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. JSM9872

It is for VZW Androids, but we don't let that stop us :)

Definitely let me know. And I will say that rooting is great but definitely make sure you do lots of research and have all your "ducks in a row" before you actually do it. Lots of people run into trouble due to not having all the pieces.

And the "like" button would be on any post, down in the bottom right corner (you just earned your first "like" with that very kind post). You can only see it via browser and not in a mobile app such as Tapatalk.
Search tags for this page
how to update galaxy note without kies

root note 10.1

should i root my galaxy note 2