Root problem

daunting

Reaction score
Hello i am new to this forum so im not sure if this is the right place to post this. I have a Samsung Galaxy s3 with a problem. When i go to star the phone up it says something about failing to root and then i get no in or out phone signal nor can i make or receive call or txts. If anyone could help me on what to download or put in the phone to make it work again would be great. I saw something about Radio Rom but wasnt sure. Cheers guys.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
here is a guide for you.

Pre-requisites

1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 http://www.mediafire.com/?t3w1d8yvdhwju3w to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.

2) As the tutorial might wipe all data of the phone, create a backup for the same. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed, then backup data using the recovery.

3) Verify that the battery of Galaxy S3 should have above 80% of charge.

4) The stock official firmwares are compatible only with Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 . Flashing this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About Device>> Model number.

Steps to unroot Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 to stock official firmware

Step-1: Download Firmware archive | Samsung Updates for Samsung Galaxy S3 to the computer

Step-2:
Extract the downloaded zip to get a file with .tar. md5 extension along with some other files

Step-3:
Download Odin http://www.mediafire.com/download/ksxw43u5to27tkx/Odin3-v1.85.rar which will help to install the Jelly Bean firmware. Extract the zip to get Odin3 v1.85.exe file with few others

Step-4:
Now place the Galaxy S3 in the Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Power and Home buttons together for about 10 seconds. A warning screen will appear. Then press the Volume Up button to continue to enter Download Mode

Step-5: Run Odin3 v1.85.exe as an Administrator (right click the Odin file and choose "run as administrator"

Step-6:
Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable while the phone is in the Download Mode. Wait until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn yellow with the COM port number. Also, the successful connection will be indicated by an Added message in Odin.
If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the one located at the back side of the computer. If that does not work too then re-install USB Driver

Step-7:
Now select these files that are extracted from the stock firmware folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the file with .tar.md5 extension
b) Click the Phone button and select the file with Modem in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select the file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file (pit file is also in the Odin directory if you need it)
Note: Ignore the steps b, c and d if such files are not found.

Step-8:
Ensure that Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time check boxes are selected in Odin. But uncheck the Re-Partition option. Click it only if a .pit file is being used

Step-9:
Finally hit the Start button in Odin. The installation should begin now and would take some time to complete

Step-10:
Upon the completion of the installation process a Pass message will appear under Odin. The phone will then restart automatically. Once the home screen appears, unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer

Step-11:
Once the phone is up, head over to Settings>> About Device>> Status and check the status. If it says NORMAL means the device is unrooted. If the status says MODIFIED then do the following

Step-12:
Reboot the phone into Recovery mode by holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung Galaxy S3 displays on the screen

Step-13:
Perform a factory wipe then select wipe cache partition

Step-14:
After the action is completed, return to the main recovery menu and select reboot system now to reboot the phone

The Samsung Galaxy S3 is now unrooted successfully and running stock official firmware.

Thanks for this tutorial i modified goes to,
Latest UK News | Breaking News | Business News | Sport, Politics, Economy, Market News - International Business Times UK
Ashwin123 at XDA [Tut] Unroot the Galaxy SIII (for stock updates/warranty) - xda-developers (with videos if that helps)

ponchonutty

Reaction score

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
On this step 3 I assume I can use the Odin program I have now? This link didn't show anything in it to download. Also, what does it mean "extract the zip.........exe file with few others". What's the "few others"?

i fixed the link, sorry
the pit file is in there which you may or may not need.

you can try your version of odin, if you have problems, try mine and the pit file as described below.

ponchonutty

Reaction score
OK thanks. I am going to just download your file. Like I said, I know enough to be dangerous with this sort of stuff lol! Now, do I have to reset my counter and if so, how do I do that? Only things that I need to keep on my phone are the contacts which I've already backed up. Anything else I should be aware of?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
OK thanks. I am going to just download your file. Like I said, I know enough to be dangerous with this sort of stuff lol! Now, do I have to reset my counter and if so, how do I do that? Only things that I need to keep on my phone are the contacts which I've already backed up. Anything else I should be aware of?

you dont have to reset the counter unless you want to, there is no benefit unless its still under warranty. i think its done with an app, but sorry im not sure about that.

once you set it up and hit start, it should run itself all the way until your phone is flashed and booted (if all goes well).
just make sure you do not unplug your phone from the pc for any reason until its done or fails. shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes.

Good luck :)

ponchonutty

Reaction score
I'm scared! I hope it works. Not sure if it's under warranty anymore. I got it last December.

ponchonutty

Reaction score
I don't have this option in step 5 to run as an administrator. Step-5: Run Odin3 v1.85.exe as an Administrator (right click the Odin file and choose "run as administrator"

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I don't have this option in step 5 to run as an administrator. Step-5: Run Odin3 v1.85.exe as an Administrator (right click the Odin file and choose "run as administrator"

ok, then do this:
right click on the Odin.exe, choose "properties" at the bottom, choose "compatibility" at the top, and near the bottom there should be a box to check "run as an administrator"

that should get you fixed up :)

ponchonutty

Reaction score
ok, then do this:
right click on the Odin.exe, choose "properties" at the bottom, choose "compatibility" at the top, and near the bottom there should be a box to check "run as an administrator"

that should get you fixed up :)

Ok. Thanks a bunch. I got it all back to normal now. Only problem is that I still can not update anything still. I can not download any apps still either. Everything else seems ok though

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Ok. Thanks a bunch. I got it all back to normal now. Only problem is that I still can not update anything still. I can not download any apps still either. Everything else seems ok though

did you try a factory reset after you flashed?
everything should be working now that the software is back to factory. the last variable would be any data that didnt get wiped by the flash.
after the flash, then wipe, the phone should be like new.

ponchonutty

Reaction score
Yes, I selected the "clear partition" and it did it but nothing else seemed to change. All of my loaded apps and such were all still there. Should I press "data/factory reset" instead?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Yes, I selected the "clear partition" and it did it but nothing else seemed to change. All of my loaded apps and such were all still there. Should I press "data/factory reset" instead?

yes.

ponchonutty

Reaction score
Good. It seems to be back to normal. Do you also know how to reset the counter too?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Good. It seems to be back to normal. Do you also know how to reset the counter too?

no, i dont.
i think its an app from the market that does it, but im not sure, or know what its called.