Root possible

n0m0n

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a Droid Razr Maxx HD with Android 4.1.1.
I have noticed while searching that my device can be rooted and then again I've noticed that it can't.
I am hoping to find out if my device can and what the correct process is to do so.
When I originally purchased my device I don't think it was on 4.1.1 but after the OTA it was.

I am hoping there is a way to root without loosing EVERYTHING in respect to my data, settings ect.

Thanks

OP
n0m0n

n0m0n

Reaction score
OK, stupid question.... What is rooting???

When you root your android device it allows you to make system changes from tweaks to removal of unwanted files apps.
It allows you to flash rom's change fonts, the overall appearance of your system.
Some devices allow you to install kernels which allow you to over / underclock your device as well.

Pretty basic explanation.

Thanks

pblakk

Reaction score
Check over on rootzwiki there's plenty about rooting the RAZR HD. Simply rooting will not delete your data. Once rooted you can use an app like Titanium backup to backup your data, apps, etc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Droid Forums

KaChow

Reaction score
I am hoping there is a way to root without loosing EVERYTHING in respect to my data, settings ect.

Thanks

Didn't see a response to this YES, you can root. With respect to rooting think of it as performing a “hard reset”, everything is going to be cleaned. Make sure that your Google account contains your important information, the email for me is not as important, but the calendar is and tasks. Most anything stored in Google and your SD card is safe.

Take these two backup apps (they can be used now without root,I believe) if you don’t have them already sms backup and call log backup, make sure to back up THIS WILL SAVE FILES to your EXTERNAL memory and then AFTER ROOT SWITCH over to the INTERNAL sd card.

OP
n0m0n

n0m0n

Reaction score
Didn't see a response to this YES, you can root. With respect to rooting think of it as performing a “hard reset”, everything is going to be cleaned. Make sure that your Google account contains your important information, the email for me is not as important, but the calendar is and tasks. Most anything stored in Google and your SD card is safe.

Take these two backup apps (they can be used now without root,I believe) if you don’t have them already sms backup and call log backup, make sure to back up THIS WILL SAVE FILES to your EXTERNAL memory and then AFTER ROOT SWITCH over to the INTERNAL sd card.

Thank you for replying can you direct me as to what where I can find the root process for my Droid Razr HD on 4.1.1?

Thank you

KaChow

Reaction score
Thank you for replying can you direct me as to what where I can find the root process for my Droid Razr HD on 4.1.1?

Thank you

Begin here, take MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR UTILITY and download it. For best result extract it to your desktop. Make sure usb debugging is enabled on your phone and open the DROID RAZR UTILITY and double click on the DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility. Let the program open. Your going to start by selecting the (1st) option, this will take you back to ICS 4.0.4, follow the instructions clearly. The end you will be instructed to take the update 0.7.2 (I think) and your phone will be starting completely over. Enter your gmail/Google info it is safe to start it up, once comfortable and most of the apps are downloading, go into > about phone> System Updates and accept the upgrade. It is okay if other apps are downloading or you play around with the phone while taking upgrade as downloads. Once this has been completed, go back to MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR HD UTILITY and double click on DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility, this time you are going to select (2.) follow the instructions correctly this will produce SuperUser and Root your phone, to be safe open superuser and update the Binaries, also go into the Market and download SuperSU and update the binaries. As an added I ad BusyBox as keeps a strong root. Next go back into DROID RAZR HD UTILITY and select option (3.) this will install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. IMPORTANT download Root Checker to make sure your phone has Root, select Verify Root should be Green. With Root go to Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and press should be one button that will create copy of SuperUser , there will then be two buttons select (Temp. Un-Root- keeps backup). Once this has been done check Root Checker to verify Root should be RED. Now, is the main step go to Settings>About Phone> and take the update for JB. After phone has completed, wait for phone go to Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and Restore root. Optional to install Safestrap from DROID RAZR HD Utility option 4. That’s it.

Last edited:

djspy

Reaction score
Begin here, take MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR UTILITY and download it. For best result extract it to your desktop. Make sure usb debugging is enabled on your phone and open the DROID RAZR UTILITY and double click on the DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility. Let the program open. Your going to start by selecting the (1st) option, this will take you back to ICS 4.0.4, follow the instructions clearly. The end you will be instructed to take the update 0.7.2 (I think) and your phone will be starting completely over. Enter your gmail/Google info it is safe to start it up, once comfortable and most of the apps are downloading, go into > about phone> System Updates and accept the upgrade. It is okay if other apps are downloading or you play around with the phone while taking upgrade as downloads. Once this has been completed, go back to MattLGroff’s DROID RAZR HD UTILITY and double click on DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility, this time you are going to select (2.) follow the instructions correctly this will produce SuperUser and Root your phone, to be safe open superuser and update the Binaries, also go into the Market and download SuperSU and update the binaries. As an added I ad BusyBox as keeps a strong root. Next go back into DROID RAZR HD UTILITY and select option (3.) this will install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper. IMPORTANT download Root Checker to make sure your phone has Root, select Verify Root should be Green. With Root go to Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and press should be one button that will create copy of SuperUser , there will then be two buttons select (Temp. Un-Root- keeps backup). Once this has been done check Root Checker to verify Root should be RED. Now, is the main step go to Settings>About Phone> and take the update for JB. After phone has completed, wait for phone go to Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and Restore root. Optional to install Safestrap from DROID RAZR HD Utility option 4. That’s it.

I thought you couldn't go back to ICS using the utility if you updated to Jellybean via Over The Air Update?

KaChow

Reaction score
I thought you couldn't go back to ICS using the utility if you updated to Jellybean via Over The Air Update?

The DROID RAZR UTILITY returns the phone back to stock 4.0.4. The phone is completely functional at 4.0.4, which considering JB some may want to go back for all the missed features.

pblakk

Reaction score
The DROID RAZR UTILITY returns the phone back to stock 4.0.4. The phone is completely functional at 4.0.4, which considering JB some may want to go back for all the missed features.

And also less lag!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Droid Forums

cwassman

Reaction score
I have tried the MattLGroff Utility method multiple times. Each time I become stuck at stock 4.0.4 ics. My maxx hd will take the ota 7.x.x update but then the ota jb update fails each time.

Rooting works, but i cant get back to jb. I have followed instructions about using voodoo, so I am not sure what the issue is!

Any other suggestions on how to root and still get jb?

KaChow

Reaction score
I have tried the MattLGroff Utility method multiple times. Each time I become stuck at stock 4.0.4 ics. My maxx hd will take the ota 7.x.x update but then the ota jb update fails each time.

Rooting works, but i cant get back to jb. I have followed instructions about using voodoo, so I am not sure what the issue is!

Any other suggestions on how to root and still get jb?

Couple of things, let's troubleshoot just to double-check. Step 1 is complete back to ICS, then push the download and install of the ota update 7.x.x. system resets, Stop here, go back into and run the utility Step 2 Root, follow all instructions make a successful BugReport and follow all steps, Root is successful. Go back into phone open SuperUser and update binaries, download SuperSU update binaries, (I do download BusyBox install), then install Root Checker should have Green lights on SuperUser, SuperSU and Busy Box. Go into Utility and run Voodoo, and create the SuperUser backup, go into Root Checker and verify root SuperUser and SuperSU will be red, Busy Box will be green. Go into the phone settings and push the JB update. This ICS to Root to JB does work, if the JB OTA is still not going through. May want to startover, this process is successful.

cwassman

Reaction score
I have been using another post's instructions....and have been essentially running all 4 of the utility steps in order...THEN trying to temp-unroot and take JB update. Also, I have never updated binaries or installed BusyBox. THESE THINGS may be the problem I am guessing. I am trying what you have suggested in this post today.....and will report back later. Thanks much!

cwassman

Reaction score
Ok.... I have successfully followed the steps, and successfully installed the JB update.

NOW, I am unable to restore root. Using Voodoo, I click on the Restore Root button, and it just sits there. HELLP ??!!

This is what I have done:
1. Run 1.1 utility, selection 1 to restore to ics 4.0.4
2. After phone reboots into ics, accept and install the 0.7 OTA update.
3. Run 1.1 utility, selection 2 to root. As far as I know the bug report was generated.
4. After reboot:
a. Update SU binaries
b. Install SuperSU (prompted/accepted binaries update when program runs the first time)
c. Install BusyBox via Normal installation choice
5. Run 1.1 utility, selection 3 to install Voodoo OTA rootkeeper
6. Install Root Checker from market (status shows as green--rooted)
7. Open OTA Rootkeeper and click Temp-unroot
8. Open RootKeeper and check root status (shows as red--not rooted)
9. Install OTA JB update on phone.
10. After reboot, Open OTA Rootkeeper and click Restore Root.

Last edited: