Root permission problems

Yankees1

Reaction score
HELP... New to rooting. I used Easy Root yesterday to root. Worked like a charm. Downloaded Titanium backup and batch backed up apps and system settings. Installed CyanogenMod RC2 (plus Google Apps). Lost some apps (MLB at Bat, for one) and phone was very slow and buggy for hours. Things are pretty unstable and it appears that there is a problem with my root privileges. Titanium backup indicates that it can't gain root access. I have clicked the problems button and installed the most recent version of busybox about 20 times without luck. Each time I do this, Titanium appears to gain root access ("Titanium Backup has been given super user permissions"), but Titanium Backup in the notification bar states "Failed! See web page for troubleshooting". Using Connectbot, $su and #whoami return "permission denied", indicating a problem with my root privileges. I have read lots of posts but am going around in circles trying to out what to do next. Honestly I wish that I didn't install the custom ROM. Was happy to be rooted at 2.1.

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
HELP... New to rooting. I used Easy Root yesterday to root. Worked like a charm. Downloaded Titanium backup and batch backed up apps and system settings. Installed CyanogenMod RC2 (plus Google Apps). Lost some apps (MLB at Bat, for one) and phone was very slow and buggy for hours. Things are pretty unstable and it appears that there is a problem with my root privileges. Titanium backup indicates that it can't gain root access. I have clicked the problems button and installed the most recent version of busybox about 20 times without luck. Each time I do this, Titanium appears to gain root access ("Titanium Backup has been given super user permissions"), but Titanium Backup in the notification bar states "Failed! See web page for troubleshooting". Using Connectbot, $su and #whoami return "permission denied", indicating a problem with my root privileges. I have read lots of posts but am going around in circles trying to out what to do next. Honestly I wish that I didn't install the custom ROM. Was happy to be rooted at 2.1.

Did you make a backup prior to installing the ROM? If so, you could always flash back to that.
I think (and I stress THINK) that this Easy Root App may be (no pun intended) the root of all the problems. I have seen several people that rooted this way having issues.
You may want to look into the possibility of unrooting and trying again without east root.

OP
Y

Yankees1

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.

I used ROM Manager to download and flash the CM ROM and did a backup as a part of that process. I also downloaded Titanium backup and created file and system backups. I am not sure what the process is flash back using a prior backup or if my current su permission problems will cause the restore to fail (or brick my phone, which I definitely can't afford to happen).

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Thanks for the quick response.

I used ROM Manager to download and flash the CM ROM and did a backup as a part of that process. I also downloaded Titanium backup and created file and system backups. I am not sure what the process is flash back using a prior backup or if my current su permission problems will cause the restore to fail (or brick my phone, which I definitely can't afford to happen).

OK - when you downloaded and installed CM through ROM Manager, did you check the box that says "Wipe data/cache"?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Yes, wiped data/cache on install.

Here's what you could do:
Try an older version of ClockworkMod Recovery. This is a pretty common RM issue. To do this open RM and scroll all the way to the bottom and select "All ClockworkMod Recoveries". Then select an older version (2.0.1.3 always seems to work for me). Do this three times, the "Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery" box should pop up relatively quick (less than 30 secs). After that try to download the ROM again and wipe/data cache again (I know it sucks) but DO NOT use Titanium Backup to restore you app data! That could be the cause of the corruption.

Let me know how you make out. If this doesn't solve the issue then I'd recommend trying to install SPRecovery, but we'll get into that after you try this.

OP
Y

Yankees1

Reaction score
Changed the ClockworkMod Recovery as stated. Quick question...should I choose to download and install the same CM ROM, or I can I choose a different one? If a different one, any suggestions as to one that should be stable?

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Changed the ClockworkMod Recovery as stated. Quick question...should I choose to download and install the same CM ROM, or I can I choose a different one? If a different one, any suggestions as to one that should be stable?

Sure, you could try a different one; right now I am running Sapphire 1.0 (listed under cvpcs in RM) and it is one of the most stable ROMs I have run to date. If you do decide to go with this ROM, be sure when prompted to select the Google apps box (otherwise you'll be missing all google apps). Also, ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning ROMs have treated me well.

As a rule of thumb I always download the stock ROM first (no theme), this way you can run it stock a few days to get a feel for it. Then if you add a theme or change a kernel you'll have a baseline if things start acting crazy.

OP
Y

Yankees1

Reaction score
YankInDaSouth -thanks so much for your help. Did as you suggested and am now running Sapphire 1.0 and everything is working great. Smooth and fast. In addition, apps that were missing when the CM app was loaded are now back.

Thanks again

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
YankInDaSouth -thanks so much for your help. Did as you suggested and am now running Sapphire 1.0 and everything is working great. Smooth and fast. In addition, apps that were missing when the CM app was loaded are now back.

Thanks again

EXCELLENT!! Glad you got everything running! Welcome to a great ROM!!! Check out there section here on DF if you want to theme or just see what others are saying about the ROM cvpcs - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

rjax

Reaction score
Interesting, I'm having pretty much the exact same problems as the OP. EasyRooted, RMed to CM6 RC2, and everything was fine for a few days (I did make a backup immediately after installing CM, so I theoretically have a pristinely-functioning ROM to go back to). Now I'm having the same symptoms with Titanium Backup, as well as SetCPU, which won't even start up properly.

One other weird thing is that my Wi-Fi still sees networks, but when I try to connect to networks that worked since I flashed CM2, they're not working anymore. I think I messed it all up when I tried to install the latest BusyBox from the Market's BusyBox installer (or maybe by moving a few apps to my SD card). But I'll mess around a little more before re-wiping and re-flashing.

I wanted CM because I had heard the colored notification LED would work even with the screen off. Looks like that's (temporarily) not the case. Can either of you tell me if Sapphire lets me have this?

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Interesting, I'm having pretty much the exact same problems as the OP. EasyRooted, RMed to CM6 RC2, and everything was fine for a few days (I did make a backup immediately after installing CM, so I theoretically have a pristinely-functioning ROM to go back to). Now I'm having the same symptoms with Titanium Backup, as well as SetCPU, which won't even start up properly.

One other weird thing is that my Wi-Fi still sees networks, but when I try to connect to networks that worked since I flashed CM2, they're not working anymore. I think I messed it all up when I tried to install the latest BusyBox from the Market's BusyBox installer (or maybe by moving a few apps to my SD card). But I'll mess around a little more before re-wiping and re-flashing.

I wanted CM because I had heard the colored notification LED would work even with the screen off. Looks like that's (temporarily) not the case. Can either of you tell me if Sapphire lets me have this?

Not too sure what you mean about the LED, but I don't think Sapphire has a setting to change the LED color though - I could be wrong.

brando56894

Reaction score
I tried CM RC1 and 2 and they both seemed to be unstable and slow for me, RC1 FC'd constantly, RC2 was more stable but still slow. My friend has the same problems with the incredible version. I switched to Sapphire v0.8.4 and loved it and then upgraded to v1 and I absolutely love it. The only problem that ive had with it is 928droid black glass theme slows down LP a lot, im trying it on ADW to see if it works any better.

rjax

Reaction score

Not too sure what you mean about the LED, but I don't think Sapphire has a setting to change the LED color though - I could be wrong.

Well, I installed Sapphire because even though I still had the Superuser app in CM6RC2, and the Superuser app indicated a bunch of apps that should have had SU status, I was still getting permission problems with them. Very happy with Sapphire so far, and was particularly happy to see that the GEM settings had the very LED feature I was looking for -- it's the "LED while screen on" option. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!