Root/overclock/wifi tether question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by 2001400ex, Aug 21, 2010.

1. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Okay, I am roughly a noob, in that I had been rooted and overclocked before but went back to stock, and now in stock 2.2 on my original Droid. So, I need to root, and I know about easy root. I do NOT want a custom rom, I really just want wifi tether and to overclock. I already have setcpu.

So, I have this:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html
    and this:
    P3Droid Kernels

And I know barnacle is the wifi tether app.

My questions are, can I just root with easy root (or equivalent), then load one of those kernals from the p3 website for the overclock? I just want the 800/250 low voltage. If I do that, do I load the kernal by clockwork recovery or sprecovery instructions?

And do I need to do anything further before I install barnacle?

Also, my only internet access currently is through pdanet and my phone.

Please let me know if I am on the right track.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

2. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Either.

No.

Sorry to hear that.

Yes you are.

1. ROOT. (EasyRoot sounds fine. AndroidRoot also.)

2. Install an alternate recovery (I prefer SPR but some like CWR)

3. Flash the kernel that supports tethering. P3DROIDs is fine.

4. Market install Barnacle ... or download WiFi-tether from the google project repository.

E

3. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the info!!! I used Androot, was stupid simple. Weird thing, I did that, installed wifi tether, and checked set cpu. I already had access to 800mhz with setcpu, no need to install kernal. So, would I benefit from installing a kernal, or just run as is? 800 is all I really care to go anyways.

Again, thanks!!

4. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Depends which kernel the OTA 2.2 ships with. I don't know anybody who runs it, so I don't know what it is, but obviously it includes time settings for 800MHz.

Well you could see if WiFi tether works. If it does, you don't need a new kernel. There are two theories here and you can help prove/disprove:

1. WiFi tether won't work because VZW didn't build the necessary modules into the kernel.

2. WiFi tether WILL work because VZW put the modules in to support their paid-for tethering -- UNLIKELY.

Either way, why don't you test it and see.

Anytime,

E

5. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, am typing this on a laptop using wireless tether from the market. Works great, though I tried access rights and it won't let the laptop work, even though it sees it and I check it, next to the MAC address. Other than that, perfect!

So, was stock 2.2, rooted with androot, installed wireless tether, and opened setcpu. All worked. Stupidly simple. LOL

6. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Access controls are a known issue.

WEP/WPA seems to work.

Good news that you just confirmed the VZW OTA 2.2 supports 800MHz and WiFi tether!

Thanks!

E

7. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

Ratings:
    +4
    No prob! Thx for your help! And good to know access controls is a known issue. I wasn't sure if that was because of the lack of rom/kernal.

8. redman333

redman333 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having a problem with my wifi tether. I have the droid 2.2 and I just rooted using easy root and then installed barnacle tether and started it and it says it running and then try to see the network but can't seem to find anything.

9. 2001400ex

2001400ex Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Try wireless tether, it is free in the market.

10. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    +1 PP.

Wireless tether is great. It works. It's free. It creates an ad-hoc network which you can connect to, and share (NAT) the Droid's access.

There are a variety of reasons to root. For me WiFi-tether is 100% of them.

E

Search tags for this page

droid x2 overclock and tether kernel

easy tether overclock

overclock wifi