Root original droid and remove phone

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dwschoon, Mar 6, 2011.

1. dwschoon

dwschoon New Member

I have a motorola droid that no longer has connectivity. The power button no longer works reliably, so my wife upgraded to the verizon iPhone. I have rooted this device before, but was unable to activate it properly without taking it to a store. It was originally an alltel device, and after rooting, it would only connect to us cellular towers. I would like to root it to use as a wifi only tablet and remove the cellular apps. I would also like to know if there is a way to put it to sleep without the power button. Where is the best place to start. It has 2.2.1 on it.
  2. foxky

foxky New Member

Im not sure how to root it because I have a Droid x, but you can change the screen timeout option in settings > display

tapped on my LibX 1.5
  3. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

4. dwschoon

dwschoon New Member

Thanks for the info. I actually was able to fix the power button. The button itself was not damaged, but the metal bracket it was mounted to was sunk in a little. This prevented the plastic piece from contacting the button properly. I bent out the bracket and all is well again. I would still like to make the phone think it is only a wifi device. Is this possible? It always asks to activate. Will rooting it fix this?
  5. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

You don't have to root it to bypass activation. Tip: How to Bypass Android Activation Screen on Motorola Droid - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog
  6. Fuchueson

Fuchueson Member

I don't know if verizon does or not but it probably wouldnt be worth it. And I know there is an app that you can use the search key to turn the screen off.
  7. crazyjoker2

crazyjoker2 New Member

several roms have a settings bar under widgets, disable 2g and 3g. maybe use launcher pro to hide the phone. or even make a nandroid, use root explorer and delete the things you dont want to see if the results are desirable. if not do a restore to the first method above.
Search tags for this page
how to disable motorola droid activation request?
how to remove activation of android phone
original droid srceen hack
remove verizon activation screen

root android remove activation