root or not to root

antman24

Reaction score
What exactly does it mean to have a rooted Droid? What r the advantages? Cause I hear if u do this then your phone isn't covered by Verizon if it crashes

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I decided against rooting because it seems like once you get started, you never stop. There's always updates, always other things you want to try. I'll overclock my graphics card and my CPU but my phone is something I need working reliably without problems (no matter how small). I just saw how many updates they had to do after releasing an update to fix small bug after small bug and that turned me off.

To each his own tho, if I had $500+ laying around for another Droid, I'd probably root a lot more comfortably.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
While I haven't rooted yet, I may in the future. Overclocking it about all I want to do at the moment.

nateccnn

Reaction score
Rooting is simply changing the attributes of the root directory of the phone to allow you to modify, delete or copy files...including system files. Once you have those attributes to read and write you can put custom ROMs or over clock kernels on the phone. ROMs are mostly eye candy menu systems with more home screens or fancy colors. Some come with pre-ported apps that would not have been available on your phone when you bought it, but you don't need the ROM to get those ported apps. It simply puts in all in one box to make things simpler. Before 2.1 was released a lot of people wanted multi touch and the new picture gallery we would eventually get with 2.1 so the custom roms added those apps.

Root access allows you to also run apps like wifi tether so you don't have to download an app from the market to tether the phone to your computer and share internet access. With the WiFi tether apps we can create a hot spot where multiple laptops can log into your phone's internet access as an ad hoc network. Can't do that without root access.

If you root, it is up to you to be careful and not delete any neccesary system files. That is why Vz voids your warranty. They are not going to be held responsible for you screwing up the operating system. The good news is we can do the needed repairs ourselves once we are rooted. Vz just won't hold your hand. To date I have not seen a single phone discussed that the Rescue Squad (Look in the Hacks forum) can't help you fix.

I paid extra for the extra warranty and I kind of wish I did not now that I know how durrable and easy to fix these phone are. But at the end of the day....if I need that warranty I can always put this thing back to factory specs in about 20 minutes and get it taken care of. I don't know if Vz cares so much that I rooted...they just don't want it back in their hands if it is still rooted. If I unroot and it is still broke then it is a problem with the phone...not something I caused by rooting. Since the law says that warranties can't be voided simply because someone installed an aftermarket part, they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure...I feel perfectly comfortable challenging them in court. That of course assumes that what we think is a safe process turns out to be safe. These phones are so new no one can say for sure rooting is safe and does not cause long term damage. So you will see all the disclaimers on the developers posts...not responsible if you brick your phone. And I am certianly not telling you you should root. I am simply answering your question so you can do your own research and decide for yourself.

Good luck

Nate

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Rooting is simply changing the attributes of the root directory of the phone to allow you to modify, delete or copy files...including system files. Once you have those attributes to read and write you can put custom ROMs or over clock kernels on the phone. ROMs are mostly eye candy menu systems with more home screens or fancy colors. Some come with pre-ported apps that would not have been available on your phone when you bought it, but you don't need the ROM to get those ported apps. It simply puts in all in one box to make things simpler. Before 2.1 was released a lot of people wanted multi touch and the new picture gallery we would eventually get with 2.1 so the custom roms added those apps.

Root access allows you to also run apps like wifi tether so you don't have to download an app from the market to tether the phone to your computer and share internet access. With the WiFi tether apps we can create a hot spot where multiple laptops can log into your phone's internet access as an ad hoc network. Can't do that without root access.

If you root, it is up to you to be careful and not delete any neccesary system files. That is why Vz voids your warranty. They are not going to be held responsible for you screwing up the operating system. The good news is we can do the needed repairs ourselves once we are rooted. Vz just won't hold your hand. To date I have not seen a single phone discussed that the Rescue Squad (Look in the Hacks forum) can't help you fix.

I paid extra for the extra warranty and I kind of wish I did not now that I know how durrable and easy to fix these phone are. But at the end of the day....if I need that warranty I can always put this thing back to factory specs in about 20 minutes and get it taken care of. I don't know if Vz cares so much that I rooted...they just don't want it back in their hands if it is still rooted. If I unroot and it is still broke then it is a problem with the phone...not something I caused by rooting. Since the law says that warranties can't be voided simply because someone installed an aftermarket part, they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure...I feel perfectly comfortable challenging them in court. That of course assumes that what we think is a safe process turns out to be safe. These phones are so new no one can say for sure rooting is safe and does not cause long term damage. So you will see all the disclaimers on the developers posts...not responsible if you brick your phone. And I am certianly not telling you you should root. I am simply answering your question so you can do your own research and decide for yourself.

Good luck

Nate

Good explanation

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
As it has been said over and over, rooting is not for everyone. If you are considering rooting then go to the Hacks section and read everything you can. Once you are done reading, read again. Read everyone's opinions on rooting and why the did or didn't root. Even read the threads that discuss unrooting and why they did it.

I contemplated rooting for 3 months. I got my Droid a couple of days after release and it was great. I had it set up sweet with home replacements the whole nine yards. I loved it. Then the 2.1 update came out and my phone started to suck. I had force closes all the time, poor call quality, the screen didn't respond right, etc. The list goes on. Needless to say, I was about to go back to my BB. I then thought what the heck, it can't get any worse, so I took the plunge. Again, I had read everything I could and re-read stuff for 3 months before. I finally rooted and I could not be happier. My phone runs better than I ever dreamed it could.

I guess the point I am trying to make is do your homework. Yes it voids the warranty from VZ but that is only for the first year. (sometimes only 90 days). Weigh the pros and cons that you read about and make sure its for you. If you decide to root, there are plenty of people here on the forums that will help you and walk you through the process if you want.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rooting is not for everyone. If, however, you decide to root, then there are certain advantages (read the threads already posted).

Admittedly, if you get carried away, you could damage your phone. I've not read any threads or articles that mention someone's phone exploding due to rooting. I have read articles that phone have exploded while charging.

Once you are rooted, there are lots of roms to choose from. The developers do seem to release updates on a regular basis. That does not mean that you need to install the new updated rom.

It took me several months of reading and waffling before I rooted. I'm very glad that I did.
My phone works very well.

Mike