Root or maybe not

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Borisfool, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Borisfool

Borisfool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After week of searching off and on and proving that a Droid is almost impossible to "brick" I joined to ask, you the experts, how to solve my issue.

Facts: Droid, rooted with Universal Androot, added ROM Manager and DM Updater. At first, no problem. Started with Droidmod and all was fine.

At some point, I don't know exactly when, but I lost SU and now am stuck. Sure, phone works, text works, alarm works etc., but I can't go anywhere software wise! DM Updater says "you appear to be rooted", but won't take to where I need to check some box. Rom manager will not let me do much of anything, of interest that is! Busybox downloads, says I'm rooted, but ...!

So, my phone works, but I am stuck. I flashed recovery via RSD lite successfully, but no way to run/download that will work. I downloaded a SU from Market and no luck, no log, nothing.

Again, phone works, but I'm stuck between rooted and nonrooted. Programs respond I appear to be rooted, yet don't let me do anything.

When I try to unroot with Universal Androot it does its thing and tells me I'm still rooted.

Maybe there is nothing to do but use as is, cause I can, and throw phone away at upgrade time.

Thanks, in advance.

2. MotoCache1

MotoCache1 Chief Droid Scientist

Ratings:
    +1
    You're probably on FRG22D. Stop using 1-click roots and do it the long way. You'll be glad you did.

3. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    if only everyone would read AND follow these instructions..

4. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    It will take time, but I think eventually the long way will become more dominant. If the one-click guys get their stuff working with FRG22D, then maybe not because who knows how many (if any) more updates there will really be for the Droid 1.

In all honesty, the "long way" really isn't that long unless you are absolutely starting from scratch (have never flashed an SBF before, etc.), and even then it's still not that long and you learn stuff in the process.

I like the long way, but then again I'm a little biased. ;)

5. Borisfool

Borisfool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    no success and actually now worse off

I followed Christim's advice and started over with step on installing SPRecovery which the RSD Lite reported as successful (pass). Rebooted and after Droidmod screen I ended up with a black background, red outlined battery icon, no service message and phone telling me to connect to power and red battery low light on.

So, I booted into recovery and none of the options made a difference to the above situation (ended back at the above described screen)so I cleared and reset to factory settings.

Now I am in an endless process of trying to resetablish Google account but each time I get a "sorry process system not responding" and need to force close. Each time I sign in to Google I get booted back to Droidmod screen and process system not responding.

Any ideas?

6. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not sure if it will help but you need to plug it up with the wall charger and let the phone charge for a few hours. The droids do not like to flash roms or anything with low batteries.

7. Borisfool

Borisfool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It has been plugged in and fully charged during the process, I am letting it sit at the "welcome to Droid" screen and hitting "force close" as the "process system is not responding" message appears. I wonder if it is doing this as it cycles through all my apps and shows this message for each one.

8. Borisfool

Borisfool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I to see if I could reflash without it rebooting into the loop I'm in. so now I'm in the bootloader screen with apparently a successful flash, but am pretty sure once I reboot I'll be right back to where I was.

Suggestions? If not, I'll reboot and see what happens. the problem is getting to be able to flash is difficult because as soon as I put battery back in or plug it in it reboots to Droidmod and the cycle of reboot and not being able to sign into Google.

Anything I can try from the Bootloader screen?

9. Borisfool

Borisfool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Reflash worked on third try. At least I have a phone again, although still stuck in that root - nonroot dimension.

Busybox says I am rooted, but can't find itself (the Busybox program tells me it can't find Busybox). DMUpdater stills say it seems like I'm rooted but haven't given it permission and when I check the box it displays to give it permission it just loops.

I recalled I had a screen pop up yesterday or a day before and stated something about radio or base something. No options, just seemed to flash and do its thing. I will do some research, but could that be a problem. My sense is that something is blocking or interferring with my root. Universal root which I used will not let me unroot, at least it tells me congrats, you are still rooted.

I was updated to 2.2 and running Froyo 1016b or something. I now am running Droidmod, Basebank c_01.43.01P, Kernal 2.6.32.9-gcf024c4, Build droidmod _sholes-userdebug Droidmod OPENMASTER eng.camel.20100721.193755, if that is of any help.

10. MotoCache1

Ratings:
    +1
    Boris, it sounds to me like when you flashed the SBF you used ESE81_SPRecovery (by the problems you encountered). Is this right? If so, give it another go using the link under the word "rooted" in my sig and use the files/instructions there.

11. Borisfool

Borisfool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The link to ChevyNo1 Kernals?

12. Borisfool

Borisfool New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    K, found it.

Search tags for this page

rom factory unroot .torrent