Root or early upgrade offer

ChevyNexus

Reaction score
Ok so i told myself that I would never do a root or not root thread so I apologize to people who are tired seein em I just want some help an I trust the members more on here then on other bords...

Kay so I have had my droid for a little while now an I love it phone does more then I could ask it to do I have a few problems with calls but I think it was my case (I tried usen youtuube with it on wouldn't stream took case off never skipped a beat) which I now only wear the job site.

So now that I have seen that upgrade offer I've come to the choice of .....root or upgrade. Now I see people talkin about how easy it is to root an how hard it is to brick....but then I see people sayin 2.1 is hard too root. So I'm a lil worried to do it then its like oh hey...you messed up now put ur phone in cement an put it into the builing ur worken on(I a carpentors(sp) apprentice but I also do allot of other stuff mostly automotive as that's where I really work) haha. Also the d button on my keyboardd seems to be comin up which pisses me off as I had one with a raised keyboard.

I wanna try out the x but it seems a bit too big an comfy to wear in the frount pocket of my overalls. But it seems it be faster with no risk of bricking...

So I'm really just asken my fellow droiders for a little help in there oppion(sp)

P.s. sorry for spelling mistakes its late xD

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
see my sig.....those basic tips will help you know what you are doing. Its very hard to brick your device. Follow the instructions and you will be fine. I am rooted but tempted to get the droid x. To help with that I installed the droid x bootanimation. I plan on not getting a new android device until my ne2 is up.

Snoking

Reaction score
Well I have had mine for a couple months now and have no big desire to root it, and will just wait for the improvements that 2.2 Froyo will bring to my Moto Droid. I find that of the three keyboards I like the horizonal virual one the best.

Chris

issues636

Reaction score
i've had a droid for a while now, never saw the need to root. never tried, never even read up on it. when the espn scorecenter app came out and i saw how much better it was on my ipod touch, i decided to root in order to tether my touch to my droid.

for a person who never flashed a rom before, a person who never saw someone root a phone, a person who never even read up on it before that day, it took me about 40 minutes to root my phone, plus flash + theme the ROM i wanted. and that's INCLUDING about 15 minutes of problems i ran into trying to flash the ROM. it really is so close to impossible to brick. just make sure the second you get recovery installed, make a backup, before you even root. and then after you root, make another backup.

backup 1 = easy unroot. incase you need to send it in under warranty, send it in for an upgrade, or just don't want it rooted anymore.
backup 2 = for switching around ROMs. so you can go back and flash a new ROM to it, without the need to root again.

xliderider

Reaction score
I'm rooted, running a custom 2.1 rom, overclocked, and trying to resist using my last eligible upgrade on my 4 line family plan on the X. :D

My head tells me my Droid is fine till next year when all the real serious Android phones start hitting Verizon, and then LTE capable phones... but, that 4.3" screen, faster processor, and tablet form factor is calling to me. ;)

Snoking

Reaction score
Not surprisingly this site is very similar to my Dodge diesel site. Most the regular people on the Turbo Diesel Register are running high hp with lots of mods to their trucks. They are polite to new people that show up on the forum looking for answers just like here. However both there and here the regulars are mostly people that have turned their truck or phone into a hobby, and cost and time playing with it are not even on their radar screen. So new people have a basic decision to make. Dive in headfirst, wade in slowly or sit on the beach and watch, while hearing so many voices saying the water is great, come on in and join us.

This is not a flame, it is just pointing out a reality.

Chris

clucernoni

Reaction score
I really think you will regret upgrading to the X in 5 months when the 2GHz or dual core phones start coming out. You haven't even begun to see what the droid can do if you aren't rooted. Plus, if you are going to upgrade anyway, then who cares if you break your phone? lol (You won't break it)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I really think you will regret upgrading to the X in 5 months when the 2GHz or dual core phones start coming out. You haven't even begun to see what the droid can do if you aren't rooted. Plus, if you are going to upgrade anyway, then who cares if you break your phone? lol (You won't break it)

Perfect summary...Nothing to add

nateccnn

Reaction score
If you are the type that sits there wondering if he should upgrade to the X, you're also the type that will never be satisfied. There will always be a new phone coming out after you buy the latest greatest. So some will tell you to wait for that next phone that is better than the X. Problem is...when that phone comes out the advice will be to wait for the next one. Then you will get some who say dive in...get the X. And then the next phone will cojme out and they will say get it. And then a group who says stick with what you have cuz it's a great phone. I'm in the last camp. I was telling my wife last night that a bunch of new phones have recently hit the market...iPhone 4, X, incredible...yada yada. But I have no urge to get one. I'm so freakin happy with the Droid I could just pee my pants right now. But then...what did I have before the Droid? A HTC Touch Pro WinMo. Moving from that crappy device to the Droid was a huge step in the right direction.

So I guess what I am saying is it is all rellevant to your experiences. My experiences are different. My advice...spend as much money as you can possibly spend as quickly as you can spend it so we can jump start this economy. Get the X...then get the Incredible...and pick up an iPhone 4 to compare them to. Get them all so my stocks can come back out of the red....please!

Nate

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the Droid. I'm content to wait for the Pro. Speed is not a concern for me, but I would like more ram as that is a problem and better battery life would be a plus, as well (which I supposed I can alleviate by getting the extended battery). And a better camera. Faster 3G and the switch to LTE/4G would really only matter to me if it becomes a viable alternative (speed and price) to home broadband - and to that point we could see some really interesting things out of Verizon's FIOS.

I think Froyo has "refreshed" my phone like new. So fast and so many features. At this point, it's really more about apps catching up, particularly the home launchers.

I look at specs for the Droid Pro and that could be my phone until it dies (or, perhaps, my PC dies ;) )

Last edited:

shmoo

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I'm rooted runnin froyo but would love to get the X. My thought tho is to wait til the X gets rooted and then upgrade. Cause after owning a rooted phone I don't think I will ever be happy with a stock phone. Who knows tho a rooted dual core phone would be even sweeter. Its a flip flop situation were in here

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
So now that I have seen that upgrade offer I've come to the choice of .....root or upgrade.
They're not mutually exclusive. You can root now and see if you're happy and also try out the Droid X to see if it's better for you (and return if it's not). We can give you countless opinions and still not determine what you prefer which is what matters.

You can also wait for Froyo to get pushed to see if it helps any.

Personally, I'm not looking for an incremental upgrade considering that dual cores, LTE and so on are around the corner. I'm rooted with BB 0.2.1 and a 1.1GHz core which helps. That and I'm not eligible for s subsidized upgrade any time soon anyway. YMMV, of course.

Last edited:

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just so people know...they have nixed the early upgrade offer for the droid X contract upgrade deal. I hope that explains it. But say..my one year early upgrade is avail nov6. since im the main on my fam plan. I asked if I could use that early upgrade to get the droid X on launch day. They said no, the full term of contract must be ending before the end of this year. Looks like everyone with a droid will be paying retail unless they have a one year contract.

Also, the droid X will be rooted on launch day. As it already has been. :)