Root on the newest 2.2.1 update

lloyd2398

Reaction score
Hey I am not sure if something is wrong , but I lost root after the update. I am using the z4root app and it seems not wanting to root, Has anyone else having this issue? If there is a root way can you post and let me know? I have the sbf of the MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf will this brick my phone if I use this?

***********PLEASE DONT MOVE THIS THREAD AGAIN TO THE DROID 2 SECTION THIS IS A OG DROID AND CLEARLY STATES IN THE FILE ABOVE MODEL A855.************​

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
So, you missed any one of about a thousand warnings that every OTA update breaks root? I can see why you're worried. FRG83 was designed to plug every hole possible in the OS, and the D on the end stands for Droid.

However, you can still freely root using that SBF and the update.zip from Moto's thread.

OP
lloyd2398

lloyd2398

Reaction score
can you give me the thread that the update.zip is under? I knew that it was going to break root but I wanted to update also. I was under assumption that the madden was going to be installed but I guess its only for the DX, Bummer.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
That was discussed in the news thread on the front page either yesterday or the day before. The only way to get that app would be to rip it out of the update for the X. Should sideload alright. :)

The link in my signature will take you to the thread you want. metiCkone released a rooted FRG83D ROM today not that long ago, but that doesn't help you without SPRecovery installed. :(

OP
lloyd2398

lloyd2398

Reaction score
Okay so I have had the file to root with moto way I was able to root again using this way. However the z4root app will not root with the 2.2.1 update. I was just afraid of using this method of moto way until confromation that indeed wont brick my phone. Well confermed it works still.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Good. :) I wouldn't have suggested it with such confidence if it hadn't been tested and proven to work.

The z4root dev should be on top of things and have a working app again soon.

OP
lloyd2398

lloyd2398

Reaction score
I just wanted to thank you again, Im glad we all have people on this site as yourself that can assure us all to do the right steps before we end up bricking our phones. Again thanks and keep up the great work!

h8louzn

Reaction score
Too late for me as well Guess it's back to the drawing board.. I didn't want the damn update but it would not go away..

chadillac707

Reaction score
I was able to reroot using z4root after update. No problem, I just made sure to unroot before installing.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Too late for me as well Guess it's back to the drawing board.. I didn't want the damn update but it would not go away..

Follow the link in my sig. It works.

I was able to reroot using z4root after update. No problem, I just made sure to unroot before installing.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

You have an X. We're talking the Droid 1. You also didn't just get FRG83D.

350zstylin

Reaction score
i just recently got interested in doing this to my phone. so since i authorized my phone to do the update to 2.2.1 before i got interested in doing this, am i going to have to wait for another program to root my phone before i can do this. bc ive tried everything that the internet has offered so far for my level of experience(which is none)

350zstylin

Reaction score
i am interested, i appreciate the walk through but yes i am a mister nissan driver

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
I had a hunch but I didn't want to assume external plumbing and be mistaken. :)

Before we begin, do you own a PC, Mac, or Linux box?

Also, would you rather do everything from your phone and what are you most interested in getting from root? Because your answer here will determine which method I go for.