Root on Mac

Discussion in 'Casio G'zOne Commando' started by JhankG, Dec 9, 2009.

1. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have now run the root file that was renamed to update.zip twice now, and when i open the terminal and enter 'sudo', it says I do not have permission. I am taking this to mean that my phone is still not rooted. Both times that I ran the droid root update file, it said 'root successful'. Any suggestions or help out there?

2. continentalg5

continentalg5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem, until I switched to my windows 7 boot camp partition, then it worked just fine. I think its OS X that gives it a hard time.

3. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried running it on Windows 7 in Parallels. Open terminal, typed in sudo, and still get permission denied. Anyone?

4. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Someone out there has a Mac and a rooted Droid. Has no one else had problems rooting on their Mac?

5. qoncept

qoncept Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "Run" ? What instructions are you following? Once you concatenate the files (cat), all you need to do is put it on your SD card and restart the phone.

6. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I was following the instructions from this forum. I was downloading the files that the one of the root threads linked to. I then changed one of files name to update.zip, put it on my SD card, restarted holding power and X, waited until the exclamation mark on the screen came up, held down volume+ and camera button at the same time, chose the update.zip file, it ran and then said the rote was completed, and then I chose restart.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. qoncept

qoncept Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, that's not the right way to be doing it. Try these instructions instead:
    AllDroid.org - View topic - How to Root your Droid

Basically (they're kind of goofy) --
    1. Download both of the files -- one is the official 2.0.1 image from google, the other is the exploit

2. Do this: cat signed-voles-ESD56-from-ESD20.84263456.zip droid-superuser.zip > update.zip

This is combining the 2 files and creating a third called update.zip.

3. Copy it to the SD card and restart while holding x

4. Once you see the exclamation point icon, press volume up + camera button. Follow the instructions on screen from there.

Edit: Before you copy update.zip to the SD card, I strongly suggest checking the md5 checksum. This will tell you that the file you have is exactly what is known to work.

You can get an md5 app here: Download MD5 2.6 - MD5 - Calculate & compare MD5 checksums - Softpedia

Then (I haven't used this one, just the first I found in google) you'll run it on your update.zip file and ensure the checksum it spits out matches (cf653352967253e99d967498ffd9ce69). If it doesn't, start over.

8. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help! So when you say to combine the two files, do you mean to just create a new folder named update.zip and drop both of those two files into it?

9. qoncept

qoncept Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No no, just open a terminal, go to the directory where those to files are and then paste that command.

cat signed-voles-ESD56-from-ESD20.84263456.zip droid-superuser.zip > update.zip

If you're not familiar with using a terminal window, do this:
    1. Make sure you download both of the files to your desktop
    2. Make sure the file names match. They should be signed-voles-ESD56-from-ESD20.84263456.zip and droid-superuser.zip
    3. Open your terminal window and type cd ~/Desktop
    4. Then copy and paste the command above. You'll find the new update.zip on your desktop where you can copy it to your SD card.

10. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. I get off work in about 30 minutes, so I will run through all of this as soon as I get home.

11. qoncept

qoncept Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No problem. It's not hard, but I haven't seen a well written set of instructions and if you arent familiar with using terminal it could be pretty tricky. If you'd like, I'll be home from work in about an hour and I could walk you through it over AIM or something. It only takes a few minutes.

12. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not familiar at all with using terminal, so that is part of the problem. If you really don't mind walking me through it once you are off work, I would greatly appreciate it. Do you happen to have a gmail account for gchat?

13. qoncept

qoncept Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I sent you a PM

14. ZombieRiot138

ZombieRiot138 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So is there any way to root this phone using Snow Leopard? Not looking for the standard get a pc responses, I'm a designer and switching back to a pc is not going to happen (sorry guys).

I have tried several terminal techniques that were recommended, but none actually rooted the device.

Anyone that has any advice would be great, got to get bing and music player off this so I can actually install some useful software to the memory on the phone.

Search tags for this page
casio commando upload video on a mac
casio g'zone commando on mac
connect casio commando to mac
how to connect casio g zone to mac

how to get a mac to read a casio commando

how to root commando on mac
loading music on a casio commando using a mac
music from mac to gzone android
picture download casio commando gzone to mac
rooting casio commando