Root Newbie

SupremePeter

Reaction score
I've been getting bored with my bionic and I finally decided to root it! I'm completely new to rooting and I've already installed safe strap 2.0, any tips or things I should know about rooting?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

marleyinoc

Reaction score
You probably want the latest safestrap. 2.11 I think. (It will allow future kexec roms...) For more info you can check @hashcode0f's twitter or blog. Also had full instructions there.

Probably the biggest thing I'd recommend is to read a ton. There's old info that's still useful but things have changed a lot too.

One major thing would be to not flash any ICS leaks beyond .232 until you've read Samuri's HoB thread and understand the repercussions of going past that build.

-I haz Bionic

OP
S

SupremePeter

Reaction score
You probably want the latest safestrap. 2.11 I think. (It will allow future kexec roms...) For more info you can check @hashcode0f's twitter or blog. Also had full instructions there.

Probably the biggest thing I'd recommend is to read a ton. There's old info that's still useful but things have changed a lot too.

One major thing would be to not flash any ICS leaks beyond .232 until you've read Samuri's HoB thread and understand the repercussions of going past that build.

-I haz Bionic

Yeah I've read up on house of bionic, i don't trust myself to try using house of bionic to update to. 232 and I personally would rather stay on the. 2233 build so I'll be able to move around from ICS to Gingerbread. I'll install safestrap 2.11 in a bit but i'm wondering on how to install a custom rom? I want to try out cyanogenmod 9 for the droid bionic and I was wondering if anyone could give me the link to it or explain how to install it

pbcarch

Reaction score
Same boat here. I finally gave in and rooted last night via the motofail method. Question though, before flashing 232 I did a backup thru titanium pro....what does safe strap do?? Total n00b here?

OP
S

SupremePeter

Reaction score
Safe Strap allows you to run custom roms for the bionic. It'll let you keep the rom you're running now (the ics leak) and let you run another rom on the side and you would be able to move back and forth between them.

So say you wanted to use Cyanogenmod 10 rom on the bionic, you would run and install it while you're on safe mode in Safestrap recovery. So when you reboot the phone on safe mode you'll be using the new rom. But if you wanted to go back to the original ics leak you would turn off safe mode and reboot the phone.

This isn't a very good explanation and I don't want you to brick your phone or something so I suggest looking up DroidModd3erX on YouTube, his videos explain everything perfectly.

deduct

Reaction score
SupremePeter said:
Yeah I've read up on house of bionic, i don't trust myself to try using house of bionic to update to. 232 and I personally would rather stay on the. 2233 build so I'll be able to move around from ICS to Gingerbread. I'll install safestrap 2.11 in a bit but i'm wondering on how to install a custom rom? I want to try out cyanogenmod 9 for the droid bionic and I was wondering if anyone could give me the link to it or explain how to install it

You can still revert back to gb if u are on 232. And I prefer blur based roms myself. I am currently running rag3 rom and getting great battery life. Even though it overclocked me to 1.25. Send me a pm if u need any help flashing roms.