Root is causing TONS of problems. HELP!

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
If you're on 2.3.15, that's Froyo 2.2, the update which is 2.3.20 is still Froyo 2.2 the numbers I'm referring to (in bold) are the system version. If you update to the new leak, you will still be on Froyo 2.2, but it will list it on your phone as 2.2.1 which is the Android version and the System version will change to 2.3.320.

If you have a problem on 2.3.15 yes you can flash the 2.2 sbf. However if you try to update to the new leak if it takes or not, you can't use the 2.2 sbf because the leak installs a newer version of the bootloader.

I have a copy of the system only sbf for the new leak if you need it, let me know if you do.

OP
B

budmonster

If you're on 2.3.15, that's Froyo 2.2, the update which is 2.3.20 is still Froyo 2.2 the numbers I'm referring to (in bold) are the system version. If you update to the new leak, you will still be on Froyo 2.2, but it will list it on your phone as 2.2.1 which is the Android version and the System version will change to 2.3.320.

If you have a problem on 2.3.15 yes you can flash the 2.2 sbf. However if you try to update to the new leak if it takes or not, you can't use the 2.2 sbf because the leak installs a newer version of the bootloader.

I have a copy of the system only sbf for the new leak if you need it, let me know if you do.

ok i thought 2.3.20 was the motorla blur version #

OP
B

budmonster

I have a few questions before I try to root. First, I'm going to try this method. I'm assuming this method of root is the same as the others just that I have to use ADB?

Step 2 - Option C
Multiple phones - Root them, unroot them - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Setup:
- Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
- Download Droid2Root.rar
- Extract to a directory, I used c:\Droid2Root
- Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
- Change connection to PC Mode

Process:
- Open command prompt
- cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
- adb devices (to verify the connection)
- cd c:/Droid2Root
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
- adb push su /sdcard/su
- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox
- adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- adb shell
- cd data/local/tmp
- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- let the process run until it returns you to c:/Droid2Root (be patient, but may need to reboot the phone)
- cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
- adb devices (to verify the connection)
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit
1. In the Droid2Root.rar it has two files, Superuser.apk & busybox. How can I make sure these are the latest versions? Is their somewhere I can d/l the latest version of Superuser & BusyBox and just replace the ones I have now?

2. If I need to unroot, how would I go about it since I'm using ADB? What files do I need to delete to get rid of root and go back to stock. I know their is way of doing this without having to flash the 2.2 SBF file.

3. When I click on "USB Connection" in the status bar on my DX, it gives me 4 options: PC Mode, Windows Media Sync, USB Mass Storage and Charge Only. What does each option actually do? Obviously "Charge Only" mean just to charge my DX.

4. 2.3.15 and 2.3.20 are just BLUR updates, correct. 2.3.20 is just the latest Motorola BLUR update?

5. The latest ClockwordMod Recovery is 2.5.0.7 but whenever I booted into ClockworkMod through the Bootstrap, it said my recovery was 2.5.0.6? How is that I flashed CW 2.5.0.7 but it shows up as 2.5.0.6 whenever I boot into recovery?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
1. You'll have to do some research on Superuser, but trust me when I say whatever version you have will work fine. Busybox installer is your friend, however. Just get those on there before you worry about installing anything else.

2. Out of my scope, but our avian friend in need of an asylum would probably be able to help you out.

3. Mass Storage lets you access your SD card for file transfers, Media Sync should be self-explanatory, and PC Mode is like USB Debugging mode on the D1.

4. No idea.

5. As long as it works I wouldn't worry about it. :)

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
Make it easy on yourself and stop thinking so much....use z4root available in the market for free, one click root, one click unroot.... this covers 1-2-3

4. Yes they are Blur, if you want Blurless try RubiX Focused or Apex. Tranquility has a reasonable mix of Blur and Blurless.

5. If you have the most recent version of Clockwork Receovery it is indeed 2.5.0.6

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
While we're on the z4root subject...if I rooted via 1-click rootmyx2 method will z4root unroot it the same as if I used the app? Not planning on unrooting, I'm happy, just curious.

Thanks!

OP
B

budmonster

AGAIN, my DX doesn't work. I can't access the Market, Internet, Facebook, Maps, etc. It says I have "no connection" or "cant fetch data" and so on. This happened to me when I rooted using the "Z4Root" method. When that happened I used RSDLite and flashed the Stock 2.2. SBF file back to stock, so I could start fresh and root again. Roooler from DF helped me root again using the "RootMyX2" method. Everything went fine, I was able to root, overclock, remove apps, etc. I made a backup before I did anything. Tonight, all of a sudden Google Voice wouldn't work for me, every time I pressed the button it said "no audio" when I tried to talk. I figured what the hell, I would just restore my backup, haven't tried it yet to see if it works, the restore went fine. When I got my phone up and running the SAME PROBLEMS started again. I can't use the Internet, Gmail and Market says "no connection", etc. I made sure GPS and DATA are on in the Power Widget.

I really need to figure out why this keeps happening. This is the second root method I've tried and still get these problems. I need someone, anyone to HELP! LOL, this is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: I tried re-activated my phone, no luck. I did a FACTORY RESET and now everything seems to be working fine and I still have the SU app in my launcher, so I'm assuming root is still there. i still need to figure out what happened though, because I can't keep doing this over and over. If anyone can help me figure out what the hell happened, I'll donate to you LOL!

mkcm97

Reaction score
AGAIN, my DX doesn't work. I can't access the Market, Internet, Facebook, Maps, etc. It says I have "no connection" or "cant fetch data" and so on. This happened to me when I rooted using the "Z4Root" method. When that happened I used RSDLite and flashed the Stock 2.2. SBF file back to stock, so I could start fresh and root again. Roooler from DF helped me root again using the "RootMyX2" method. Everything went fine, I was able to root, overclock, remove apps, etc. I made a backup before I did anything. Tonight, all of a sudden Google Voice wouldn't work for me, every time I pressed the button it said "no audio" when I tried to talk. I figured what the hell, I would just restore my backup, haven't tried it yet to see if it works, the restore went fine. When I got my phone up and running the SAME PROBLEMS started again. I can't use the Internet, Gmail and Market says "no connection", etc. I made sure GPS and DATA are on in the Power Widget.

I really need to figure out why this keeps happening. This is the second root method I've tried and still get these problems. I need someone, anyone to HELP! LOL, this is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: I tried re-activated my phone, no luck. I did a FACTORY RESET and now everything seems to be working fine and I still have the SU app in my launcher, so I'm assuming root is still there. i still need to figure out what happened though, because I can't keep doing this over and over. If anyone can help me figure out what the hell happened, I'll donate to you LOL!

Maybe your phone just doesn't like to be rooted:icon_rolleyes:

OP
B

budmonster

LOL, no there is something missing, a step went wrong, etc.

OP
B

budmonster

i just flashed clockwork, now my market isnt working again, internet isnt, gmail, etc. its doing this again. i clicked both buttons in bootstrapper, rebooted my phone now nothing works?

OP
B

budmonster

this is the 3rd time after rooting this has happend. as soon i used bootstrapper/rom manager things dont work. when i was just rooted it was fine. it seems that when i boot into recovery and clicked the reboot option it messed something up.

below are screenshots of the problems im getting. the 2nd to last one, is network settings, it seems like everything is missing? whats going on.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
[/IMG]
5.jpg
[/IMG]
6.jpg
[/IMG]
7.jpg

CAP201011272042.jpg
CAP201011272043.jpg
CAP201011272045.jpg
CAP201011272044.jpg
CAP2010112720431.jpg
CAP201011272048.jpg
CAP201011272046.jpg

OP
B

budmonster

I did a Factory Reset again and now everything works! It wierd, but for some reason CW Recovery still works? I don't even have Bootstrapper installed? I installed Rom Manager and clicked "reboot to recovery". My phone restarts, the green android guy comes up with /!\ symbol for a second, turns off again and reboots into CW Recovery. I was able to make backups too? How is is this possible with Bootstrapper not installed?

Is my phone back to normal now? I'm afraid to even install Bootstrapper again. I don't even think I need anymore? Does anyone know whats going on?

EDIT: I want to try and install http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/d...ike-theres-no-blur-insane-blurry-1-5-2-a.html but the directions tell me to use Bootstrapper, but like I said above I dont need Bootstrapper to boot into CW Recovery. What do I do, this is so strange.

EDIT2: I just flashed the ROM above successfully with no Bootstrapper involved. I just booted into Recovery using Rom Manager, the green android guy showed up w/ the /!\ symbol again then the M logo showed, rebooted into Recovery. I just did a wipe and flashed the Rom and it worked.

EDIT3: After I flashed the ROM, CW Recovery is now gone. I had to installed Boostrapper and press those 2 buttons for CW to install. I clicked both and CW is on my phone again. What the hell is going on?