Root has arrived for US Galaxy S phones!

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-captivate-root.jpg

Well that didn't take long. Shortly after its international launch, the Samsung Galaxy S has fallen victim to the development community! Thanks to some usual culprits, the Galaxy S has been successfully hacked and root was attained. Leshack, of SamDroid, was the originator of the international Galaxy S hack, and the XDA community has ported his hack to the US versions. Currently tested to work on the AT&T Captivate and T-Mobile Vibrant, those at XDA believe that a few small modifications to the script will allow it to work on the Sprint Epic 4G and Verizon Fascinate as well.

Paul O'Brien, of Modaco.com, has already created a custom ROM and ROM kitchen for the international Galaxy S, but will likely need to be modified to work on the US versions.

How to get your phone rooted? All it takes is to flash an update.zip, which will give you su permissions, busybox, and Superuser.apk. Download the Vibrant update.zip here. The Captivate update.zip can be found here. People have had success with these update.zips, but I would be careful what I flash on my phone without double- and triple-checking. Follow the XDA thread for updates and support.

This is certainly exciting news for anyone interested in purchasing a Galaxy S Series phone. So, how long before we see some FroYo on a US Galaxy S?

via AndroidandMe
source SamDroid, Modaco, XDA

Thanks to Darkseider for the tip!

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
Awesome! I swear I read that somewhere else on this forum...

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
This makes me want one now! It has everything i wanted, except a slower processor, but this could help me wait it out till LTE phones start rolling. Seriously considering this one...

Darkseider

Reaction score
This makes me want one now! It has everything i wanted, except a slower processor, but this could help me wait it out till LTE phones start rolling. Seriously considering this one...

Slower processor? The Hummingbird SoC in the Galaxy S phones are all clocked at 1 Ghz and have a better GPU, PowerVR SGX 540 vs. the PowerVR SGX 530 in the Droid X.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Slower processor? The Hummingbird SoC in the Galaxy S phones are all clocked at 1 Ghz and have a better GPU, PowerVR SGX 540 vs. the PowerVR SGX 530 in the Droid X.

I said I wouldn't upgrade until a 2Ghz/Dual core processor phone came out, so this is slower than i was going for :)

Darkseider

Reaction score

I said I wouldn't upgrade until a 2Ghz/Dual core processor phone came out, so this is slower than i was going for :)

Ah OK. I am in the same boat you are. I am waiting for Cortex A-9 based units to come out before I consider upgrading. Before I even get a Cortex A-9 based handset it will have to be rooted as well. Otherwise I won't touch it. Seems that the Galaxy S line of phones with their easy root will fast become the new favorite. Especially considering they will be available across all national carriers and even some smaller regional carriers.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

Ah OK. I am in the same boat you are. I am waiting for Cortex A-9 based units to come out before I consider upgrading. Before I even get a Cortex A-9 based handset it will have to be rooted as well. Otherwise I won't touch it. Seems that the Galaxy S line of phones with their easy root will fast become the new favorite. Especially considering they will be available across all national carriers and even some smaller regional carriers.

My next phone was a 3.7-4 inch screen, with a dual core processor (2ghz anyone?), and no keyboard. This has everything I want, minus the processor, so it could help me old off until the LTE capable phones are release.

_BoneZ_

Reaction score
But the processor in the Galaxy S won't run as efficiently and will use more power than the X due to the fabricating process. And I'd also lay money that the Galaxy will run slower than the X in benchmarks.

Besides, the Galaxy S has a smaller screen, smaller camera, no camera flash. Better GPU is the only thing the Galaxy S has over the X. Everything else is sub-par when the Galaxy S is compared to the X.

Chris-pee

Reaction score
This may have changed my mind on the x! The pics have to be better than the Droid anyway!

Darkseider

Reaction score
But the processor in the Galaxy S won't run as efficiently and will use more power than the X due to the fabricating process. And I'd also lay money that the Galaxy will run slower than the X in benchmarks.

Besides, the Galaxy S has a smaller screen, smaller camera, no camera flash. Better GPU is the only thing the Galaxy S has over the X. Everything else is sub-par when the Galaxy S is compared to the X.

The ones that don't are the Vibrant and the Captivate. The Fascinate and Epic both have a camera flash. As for GPU benchmarks they have been done and they smoke the Droid X:

Galaxy S lineup leads the pack in Android GPU benchmarks – Android and Me

Processor benchmarks like Quadrant show the Droid X slightly ahead but it is not that great a gap. The processor may not be as power efficient but the Super AMOLED screen will skew that a bit as well as it is more power efficient and .3" smaller than the LCD in the Droid X.

Reaction score
You could go back and forth about the performance of these 2 phones all day and not get anywhere. Droid X has a slightly better processor, Fascinate has a slightly better GPU. The camera has 3 less MP, but that really doesnt mean much. Samsung phones that I'm familiar with have had excellent cameras regardless of the MP rating. The screen size difference really isnt that much in my opinion, and in the trade off for the smaller screen you get SAMOLED.

I think the big 3 differences are:
case construction (Droid X: metal vs. Samsung: Plastic)

root and ROMs (Droid X: encrypted bootloader vs. Samsung: already rooted and custom ROM's already being made) This is the BIG one imo

Storage Capacity: (Droid X 8GB internal 16GB SD included vs. Samsung 2GB internal 16GB SD included)