Root Explorer

jerroedr

Reaction score
I use it ALL the time. Well worth the money I paid for it.

P.S. Thanks for the AppWidget tip! VERY nice app.

what do you do with yours?

I basically use it for all of the file management on my phone. Moving apps from the data partition to the system partition, installing apps, editing text files, etc. I had Astro installed as well, but I ended up uninstalling because it was a lot slower, and it was clunkier with other apps.

text files? like .doc or .docx?

im fairly certain im keeping it, but keep the info coming! very very useful!

meishkov

Reaction score
Root explorer is my number one paid app for sure. Gotta use it all the time to move files around and kernels and ROM updates and boot animations and editing system files. Absolutely love it and how easy it is to use. Definitely well worth the price. Highly recommended. It is like the benchmark of how file management should be.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I use mine to move over mp3 files to my systems ringtones directory all the time

Sent from my Droid

Sort of off topic but... why do this? All you have to do is store them on the SDcard in this folder:

\media\audio\ringtones

and the result is the same.

Anyway...

Another great use of root explorer is when you want to do a tweak/hack on a system file, like for example, modify a value in build.prop. RE lets you open this file in a text editor and make changes. Normally, you see instructions for such a hack as a series of ADB commands, but we have the EASY way to do these things.

Oh and speaking of ringtones... I always use RE to DELETE all the lame built-in ringtones so they don't clutter up my list.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
I use mine to move over mp3 files to my systems ringtones directory all the time

Sent from my Droid

Sort of off topic but... why do this? All you have to do is store them on the SDcard in this folder:

\media\audio\ringtones

Anyway...

Another great use of root explorer is when you want to do a tweak/hack on a system file, like for example, modify a value in build.prop. RE lets you open this file in a text editor and make changes. Normally, you see instructions for such a hack as a series of ADB commands, but we have the EASY way to do these things.

Oh and speaking of ringtones... I always use RE to DELETE all the lame built-in ringtones so they don't clutter up my list.

becuz i use mabilo ringtones to download the mp3s i want (easy browsing, easy downloading) then move them to the system folder becuz it's about the same amount of steps (without hooking my phone up to my laptop to move over mp3s) and a few other situations that probably haven't crossed my mind but still are relevant to using root explorer thanks for playing kthnxbai.

Phreaker47

Reaction score

Sent from my Droid

\media\audio\ringtones

Anyway...

becuz i use mabilo ringtones to download the mp3s i want (easy browsing, easy downloading) then move them to the system folder becuz it's about the same amount of steps (without hooking my phone up to my laptop to move over mp3s) and a few other situations that probably haven't crossed my mind but still are relevant to using root explorer thanks for playing kthnxbai.

RE can also move things to the SDCard :)
But if you want to waste valuable internal memory, be my guest,:icon_ banana:

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to

\media\audio\ringtones

Anyway...

RE can also move things to the SDCard :)
But if you want to waste valuable internal memory, be my guest,:icon_ banana:

i know, it hogs my battery and kills me a little inside each day, kthnxbai

9wire

Reaction score
I make my own boot animations and can change them at will in about 30 seconds with root explorer, also some of the other things posted here. I wouldn't want to do without it.
EDIT: Not fancy boot animations, just converted .gifs to .pngs, all of them of very questionable taste. :)

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
IMO Root Explorer is the End All of file management applications, it is the best few dollars I have spent on an app.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

Sent from my Droid

\media\audio\ringtones

Anyway...

You brought up mabilo ringtones, and there's something I've been curious about for a long time. Where exactly *does* mabilo store the tones you download? When I install a new rom, occasionally I have to wipe data, and when I reinstall mabilo, it's online "Downloads" area is always empty, which forces me to re-download every tune I had before, and re-assign the tunes to the people in my contact list - a *royal* PITA. There HAS to be a better way to do things.

Thanks!

-Mike

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Its an your sdcard. Currently mabilo is called ringlert and the mp3s are on /sdcard/ringlert

Sent from my Droid

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As far as ringtones go. I dont like keeping the apps for ringtones on my phone so I basically do it like this...just to get the ringer and then uninstall the app.

Ive done this with zedge, and mabilo.

1. Download zedge or mabilo on the market.

2. Download ringdroid from the market.

3. Find the ringtone you want want...save it/download it..w/e you wanna call it.

4. Open ringdroid. Locate the mp3 ringer you just dl'd from the app...save it using ringdroid. Name it something different than the original file name (so you can distinguish it as different from the app one)

5. Using root explorer, go to your SD card.. locate that mp3 you created using ring droid. Move it to your /sdcard/media/ringtone or notification *which ever you dl from the zedge or mabilo app.

Then go to your settings and uninstall zedge, mabilo, and ringdroid.

Congrats...you now have the mp3 w/o having to keep the app. Also...just to clean up afterward...go to your SD card and delete the zedge folder and its contents. No need to keep it.

I started doing this because when I used those ringtone apps in the past...and set it to a certain contact...it mysteriously went silent. I would go to my sound settings and pick that ringtone from the list, and it didnt have any sound. I was missing calls from people because the dl'd ringers werent working.

My way ensures they always work, and you arent creating a long list of ringtones in your system sounds.

jerroedr

Reaction score
i found a thread that showed how to improve the snappiness of the phone by changing the dalvic settings usine RE. Dope!

meishkov

Reaction score
i found a thread that showed how to improve the snappiness of the phone by changing the dalvic settings usine RE. Dope!

Do tell please. I'm always looking for tweaks to make to anything that's memory related. Only thing I've done recently is changed that dalvik vm heap size in build.prop from 24m to 30m, but I don't think it's made a single noticeable difference for me. What are you referring to??