root eris 1.5 to 2.1 rooted

fingaz

Reaction score
yeah... this was like the easiest thing EVER!!! great program. got stuck on the recovery.img thing.. Used this program and it did everything I needed it to do. Works great.

If anyone wants to root/upgrade their phone, this is the simplest, easiest way.

good looks evilways.. thanks

OP
E

EvilWays

yeah, i tried the other way with adb and couldnt get it working (im not great with adb...aparently not even kinda good) and this way rocked my girls eris no problem. didnt see it up here so i figured id share the love. glad it worked for you.

buschbarber

Reaction score
1,5 to 2.1 Droid Eris

I installed the PB001mg on my first Droid Eris. Everything worked fine except for a few Force Quits now and then. I was able to run apps that would not run under 1.5, such as Google Goggles, Google Maps Voice Turn by Turn directions, Thickbuttons, etc. I did notice that in the Market, there were many newer apps, many of the same apps, and missing some of the apps in the Market that came with 1.5.

After a couple of weeks, I started having problems with scrolling Right to Left and Left to Right. Enlarged web pages would move to the Right, like they were being pulled by a spring, and I could only see the Left hand side of the page. If I had the Home Screen displayed, it would suddenly scroll to the last screen to the Left, and I could not move back to the Home Screen at all. This effect would come and go through out the day, at random. When this happened, I could not press on the Home button, Menu button, Phone button, etc.. If I tried to scroll to the Home Screen, it would just spring back to the screen furthest left. If I was typing in a Text Field, the Cursor would move left, in front of the first character and I could not use the Trackball to move it back Right, to enter more text.

Could this be related to the 2.1 firmware or was this a defect in the phone? I returned it under warranty and was sent another phone, which is of course, still with 1.5 firmware.

I am leary of doing this again unless I know it is not related to the 2.1 firmware.

When I upgraded to 2.1, I just put the pb00img.zip file in the root directory of the SD card and followed the directions to boot the phone.

fingaz

Reaction score
ok.. first.. there are a few different versions of the software floating around out there. I know i flashed 2.1 on my Eris and it had a lot of bugs. Apparently there is an upgrade from that. I believe the issues you had were with the firmware.. software.. 2.1 upgrade.. whatever... but I think you installed an older version.

Try using this program. I have had very few problems with the software that I got from it.

Also, some 1.5 apps are out of date and do not work with 2.1, so there is def a good chance that some apps you had on 1.5 are not out there anymore.

peterjariel

Reaction score
I wanna do this for my wifes phone but she's only goin to let me if I can go back to stock in case there's any problem. R u able to go back with this program?

buschbarber

Reaction score
1.5 to 2.1

Where do I find the Android SDK kit?
What is the link to the file I need to download to install it?
What is the procedure to install it?

I am running Windows 7 64bit and Ubuntu Ultimate Edition 2.5 64 bit, in a dual boot. Is there an Android SDK for both OS's and is it possible to Tether the Droid Eris to either UE or Windows 7?

Is Tethering software included with this 2.1 Install? Can I access https// sites?

I have been using Easy Tether Lite, Free, but since I had to replace my Eris and install it again, it will not let me access Gmail or my Bank, now, for example. It did on the other phone and I did not have the Pay version.

buschbarber

Reaction score
1.5-2.1

I was able to find the Android SDK Installer on my Windows 7 64 bit Downloads directory. I ran the Setup program, but I do not know where it installed the program so that I can find the Tools directory and Extract the files into it that I need to install on the phone.

Does it install the SDK in the Program Files directory or or is it installed in the same directory where the Setup program resides?

Do I open a Windows Explorer window and run the Install.bat programs from there or do I have to launch the SDK and run it from there?

There are no shortcuts for the SDK in the Start Menu. Where are they located?

I do not want to screw this up.

I assume that I connect the Eris to the PC with the USB Cable and then run the two Install bat files.

buschbarber

Reaction score
1.5 to 2.1

I was successful in running both batch files and installing everything, including the extras.

I left the USB Connection choice at Charge Only and turned on USB Debugging, before running the scripts. I did see what looked like error messages along the way, but in general, everything installed in order and completed.

When I boot the phone, I am given a choice of Home, HTC, and Nexas Launcher. Could you explain the differences and why I would want one over the other?

How do I activate Live Wallpaper? I did not see a Live Wallpaper app. I downloaded several Live Wallpapers via the Market, but I do not know what to do with them.

buschbarber

Reaction score
1.5 to 2.1

Did everyone just give up on this thread? I was hoping to get at least one reply to my latest questions.

I am new to this phone and rather cautious as I do not want to turn it into a Brick, yet, I find that 2.1 allow me to use apps that would be very useful. Before this upgrade, I was thinking of returning the Eris and spending the extra $200 for the Incredible, which comes out next week. It is a bit faster, with a better camera, slightly larger, and it will come with 2.xx.

I see that there are three Home Screens; Home, HTC Sense, and Nexus Launcher. Home and Nexus Launcher look very similar, except for the button that brings up all the Apps.

I had to install a Live Wallpaper Patch in order to get Live Wallpaper to work. I had downloaded several Live Wallpapers, but the only ones that did not Crash or turn the screen Black were the Cube and Maps. Is there anywhere else I can get compatible Live Wallpapers? I do not know why Maps is considered Live unless the Map changes as I change locations. There is no way to Zoom in as with Google Maps.

The Widget list for Nexus Launcher and Home is significantly smaller than for HTC Sense. I am not sure why. I installed Home Changer, which lets me Change Home Screens without rebooting.

Reaction score
Patience dude, you only asked a few hours ago, no need to get upset because no one has answered your questions yet.

Id suggest trying the xda forums cause this is primarily a moto droid forum so not a whole lot of people can answer your questions on the eris. So if you want answers from here just be patient.

buschbarber

Reaction score
Sorry to be so impatient. I spend quite a bit of time on forums related to all of my hobbies. In this case, I need the Eris for my job, so it is important that I get it working properly ASAP.

I have already posted the same message on the XDA forum, because as you said, they are the source of these scripts.

Thanks for the reply.