root droid x with mac

brmk226

Reaction score
Ive had the droid x for about two months and love but now I want to root it. I never rooted and just want to be 100% sure to not screw it up. The one thing is I got only a macbook to root it through please help thanx :)

OP
B

brmk226

Reaction score
Thank you so much an my phone is finally rooted!! one other question i figured out the droid has a radio is there anyway to play that on the speaker out loud not just through the headphones jack?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe you have to have headphones jacked to use.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I thought there was a hack out there for that

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
B

brmk226

Reaction score
there's ab option to just pkay it out loud but you have headphones plugged in

DerekFlint

Reaction score
My guess is that the headphone cable doubles as an FM antenna. Suppose you might be able to use a 3.5mm extension cable instead.

DerekFlint

Reaction score
:welcome:

check this out to root
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

and if you have any questions, feel free to ask :)
A couple of questions.

The first instructions in Section 2 option A are

• Visit the market and get the free Android Terminal Emulator installed.
  • Visit the market and make sure you have Astro installed.
  • Grab rageagainsthecage.zip with your phone
  • Use Astro to navigate to the /sdcard/download folder
  • Long press on the rageagainstthecage.zip file and "extract to this directory"
  • The 4 files, from the zip file should now be in the /sdcard/download folder (rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin, su, superuser.apk and busybox.)
1) I did not know how to grab rage.zip with my phone, and downloaded and unzipped it on my Mac instead, and dragged it into the download folder. What is the correct procedure be to do this in my DX? I am using Dolphin, if that is useful information.

2) I previously set up ADB on my Mac by following the instructions here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-faq/74089-how-setting-up-adb-mac-osx-your-droid-x.html Does this mean I can use terminal on my computer instead of Android Terminal Emulator? If so, do I need to first enter some additional commands to communicate with my DX before I continue with the rest of the steps listed in the rooting instructions?

Thanks.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ima make it easier for you

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;SuaXu8kusvA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuaXu8kusvA&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - How To - Root Your Android Phone (SuperOneClick Method) - www.TheUnlockr.com[/video]

DerekFlint

Reaction score
Mac is not supported yet.

"v1.5.1
Untested Mac and Linux support (you need Mono)"

Mono is not a GUI Mac app but instead something that runs in terminal and the instructions at xda-developers included this, which was a far cry from one click:

For you linux users:
To get ADB working:
Install these libraries:
apt-get install lib32ncurses5
apt-get install lib32stdc++

Install Mono
apt-get install mono

Install WinForms 2.0 for Mono
apt-get install libmono-winforms2.0-cil

Mark adblinux as executable
chmod 755 adblinux

Open application with mono:
For v1.5.1, it has to be launched from the same working directory as adblinux, so open terminal, browse to the folder and type
sudo mono SuperOneClick.exe

Finally rooted using the terminal emulator in the phone.