Root Droid Incredible?

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Okay before you hate for this being ALL OVER the internet,

There doesn't seem to be a way to root a Droid Incredible running Android 2.2 with HTC's latest update while still leaving the factory reset in-tact.

Unrevoked screws up (replaces) my factory "image" if you will.

And as far as I can tell, everything else is for Android 2.1

I really don't care about having to do a lot of steps, I know my way around the HBOOT menu, Windows' command prompt, things like that. Just as long as I can root without losing my factory reset image, without screwing up my phone pretty much lol

Also, I tried unrevoked3, I had superuser, but none of the root-required apps would work. Perhaps it was that HTC update?

And if anyone out there does have an option for me (other than live with no root!) would you be able to provide details as to how the root will react with future OTA updates?

Thanks in advance!

Oh and for those of you who know I bricked my last Incredible, yes I got a new one (CPO.....) but it works flawlessly! :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well you could root with unrevoked and then flash the stock recovery through hboot. Then you would have a stock rooted system and no custom recovery.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
There's an idea.

Would I have to re-root for Android 2.3 or something like a 2.2.1?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Oh by the way, Unrevoked wouldn't work, that was with my SLCD Inredible, I THINK I have an AMOLED now, at least from what I can tell.

No idea what happened, but I would really prefer to not use Unrevoked....

No one has like a manual method for Android 2.2?

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Oh by the way, Unrevoked wouldn't work, that was with my SLCD Inredible, I THINK I have an AMOLED now, at least from what I can tell.

How in the world did you go from a SLCD Incredible (the later model) to an AMOLED screen Incredible (the earlier model)? Did you buy the AMOLED phone new, from Verizon?

-Mike

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Unrevoked works on both. Its the recovery that does not work on both. Seeing as you won't be using it thats a none issue.

On a side note 2.3 is a long ways away from coming to the Incredible. HTC needs to code in sense before it will ever be released. That said if you are rooted and keep ClockWork recovery you will have version available way before VZW and HTC release one.

I am still on clear as to why you want to keep the stock recovery but its your phone and if thats what you want I will help you.

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Verizon, despite my phone being within a month old, refused to replace it with another new Incredible. So I got a CPO. I didn't fight it because I got the phone for free anyway, so.

As for unrevoled not working on my SLCD, god knows what went wrong, like I said, I had superuser, but wireless tethering apps like Barnacle wouldn't work. I could connect via Wi-Fi to my phone, but no internet access...

Perhaps some HTC update? I did install an update prior to rooting.

Anyway, if you have a manual method, that would be great! If not, don't stress yourself looking, but wow it was A LOT easier to root my Droid X...

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
So um... Anyone there?

Can someone confirm unrevoked doesn't work with the latest OTA update (3.21 or something like that?)?

And is there a manual way to root, I feel like it is impossible to root this thing....

Finally, how does installing an OTA work with a rooted Dinc?

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Okay thanks, and if I want OTA updates? Don't I have to flash back to stock?
And does the same thing apply with the Droid X, I don't remember having to worry about all this lol

OP
jimmyco2008

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
And on an unrelated matter, where do I get the Droid Incredible 2.2 RUU? Can't find it ANYWHERE.

I was thinking like Doug suggested above, I just root and then re-flash stock recovery. RUU would do this, right? Please?....

Corlissimo

Reaction score
Okay thanks, and if I want OTA updates? Don't I have to flash back to stock?
And does the same thing apply with the Droid X, I don't remember having to worry about all this lol

I'm a relative noob at Android stuff but rooting my DX (with z4root) was cake. Since I also use Titanium Backup to freeze all the VZW bloatware, rather than renaming/removing the files, applying the new OTA update that came out lst week was simply a matter of

1. performing backup
2. defrosting bloatware
3. one-click unroot with z4root
4. apply OTA update
5. Run z4root again
6. Freeze bloatware

The whole process took this nubbie about 15 minutes total. :icon_ banana:

Conversely, I'm on this forum looking for a simple one-click root/unroot for my wife's DInc. Doesn't look like there is one. Even the latest UnrEVOked method has my using my PC, installing drivers, rooting, flashing ROMs. Ans unrooting looks even more complex. Guess she's just gonna keep running a stock DInc, and I'm gonna have to keep hearing about her horrible battery life. :palm:

Corlissimo

Reaction score
enlightened-

Thanks for the links. I had already read those posts which is the main reason I reached the conclusion I did.

I guess after rooting my DX with z4root, I got spoiled a bit since it roots/unroots with just one button click. Other than transferring the file to my phone via USB, everything was local to the phone. No Windows drivers to install, no flashing files, etc.

If I'm smoking crack & missing something in the rooting post that makes it simpler than it looks, please tell me. I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

enlightened

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Colissimo-

It can all be summed up as 1) install drivers, 2) run the executable file from unrevoked, 3) do your first backup. The most difficult part is installing the drivers, and if you use a Mac you don't need to install them at all. It sounds much more difficult than it is. Most people root and do a double take because it's so much easier than they expected.

If you follow the tutorial exactly you should have no problems.