[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

rlfitz

Reaction score
thanks go to motocache and furbearingmammal for their help!!! I am a total noob and followed this guide. It worked perfectly on my windows7 64bit. now have sprecovery and root. I had been lurking here reading this over and over again. somehow expecting it to be harder than this. the only thing i was confused about it exactly when to press the up button to catch the reboot. Got it first try.
Thanks to everybody that contributed to this.

Also used motocache's dropbox link to set up a dropbox of my own. I had no idea what it is or what it does. But now that i did some reading about it, I found out it is a very cool thing to have.
Many thanks

Last edited:

hockeykid949

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you are taking the "install ROM from SD card" option in SPRecovery. Don't. Just "allow" and then "install".

i did the allow and the intall..

what happens is that it starts to install the update but then it aborts..

Funny thing is that the progress bar in the background starts after it aborts and increases little by little

zero7ven

Reaction score
WOW! Thanks for the easy to follow guide. After waiting 6 months with a stock Droid 1, i finally decided to hop the fence to the greener side. Now I am running Cyanogen 6 and eagerly wanting to tweak it some more.

bubbawv

Reaction score
I've read a few previous posts on this thread from former easyroot customers that lost root access due to the FRG22D OTA, but regained root by following the directions in this thread. Did anyone of you experience any issues since the thread clearly states you need to start with an unrooted phone? Did you do anything different from the instructions for this same reason? I would like some foresight before going through the steps to return root access to my Droid 1.

Well I did my droid rooting tonight! Everything went great! Thanks to everyone on droidforums.net that helped make this so easy!

MNull

Reaction score
Have to say thanks as well....used this guide to root my droid 3 weeks ago. VERY HELPFUL!!! dancedroid

Would you know if you can root a iM7-Android 2.1??? Just bought one and was wondering.

drpaul07

Reaction score
Ok i have a question that has probably been answered somewhere in this thread, but really there are just too many pages to go through. I know it is not answered in the OP, so i'll just ask and someone can give me a quick 'yes' or 'no' answer:

My brother used Easy Root to root his Droid when he had FRG01b build. He updated to FRG22D and he lost root, which was fine cuz i told him that would happen and he was cool with it. But now he'd like to root again mainly for the wifi tether and so i was going to use this method to root, which i know how to do and all, but i just want to make sure of one thing. He still has the easy root app, superuser ninja, and a couple root apps installed. So would i just uninstall all those and then use this method to root? And everything will proceed normally? Thank you.

Casey407

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I looked around all morning and couldn't find a similar post, so time to ask!

I was trying to root my phone using this guide and now my phone isn't working. I'm not sure if I didn't copy the update.zip file right or what, but I'm stuck in boot loop most of the time and the LED light is red. When the phone makes it out of boot loop, it opens up the activation screen only to force close a few seconds after it gets there.

I cannot mount the phone to access my SD card.

When I tried to install update.zip from sd card using sbf recovery, It would go about half way and then I would get an error but now its just saying that it can't mount the SD card (sorry, I cannot get the error message it was giving me earlier)

I do have SBF recovery installed on my phone and that is the only thing I can access. I have wiped data and cashe (as someone requested I try).

What do I do? Thank you very much for your help.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What step were you at when this happened?
What charge level did your phone have when you started this?

I would let the phone charge untouched (off) for a while. Before you start any update or rooting procedure you should have at LEAST 60% battery.
I would also reseat the sdcard once you have a charge on it if you are still getting an error from sprecovery.

Also, verify the update.zip isn't update.zip.zip and the like.

-Droid Does

Casey407

Reaction score
What step were you at when this happened?
What charge level did your phone have when you started this?

I would let the phone charge untouched (off) for a while. Before you start any update or rooting procedure you should have at LEAST 60% battery.
I would also reseat the sdcard once you have a charge on it if you are still getting an error from sprecovery.

Also, verify the update.zip isn't update.zip.zip and the like.

-Droid Does

I started having problems when I tried to do update.zip. from sprecovery. My battery was at 100%. I did this last night and just left the phone alone on the charger until this morning. I cannot verify the update.zip isn't .zip.zip because I cannot get into the sd card. When I plug the phone in via USB, the computer can't open the sd card.

Thanks for getting back to me. Any other suggestions?