[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

aristoid

Reaction score
Thanks ! ! ! to the patience...

MotoCache1, furbearingmammal,
Thank you for your information and patience. I have been lurking for a few months and appreciate your information as well as tolerance to folks like me looking for the answers we need to get done what we want to do.

Moto...your guide got me rooted. I love the link added to your sig about 'how to ask questions the smart way' ... I'm not a hacker, mebbe a power user at best. But I did learn over a decade ago how to work within those that have the knowledge, and this is a great reminder.

Both of you have saved me personal and public embarrassment with your posts, and more than a couple of handfuls of hair...

Again,

Thank you, dancedroid:lifting::beer2::yahoo::yahoo::i-m_so_happy:

hockeykid949

Reaction score
hey I have been doing everything right except when i get to the RSD lite...it will not pick up my device at all....any advice i would greatly appreciate

thanks

EDIT : silly me i forgot the drivers :)

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So you got it taken care of?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hockeykid949

Reaction score
So you got it taken care of?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

yes thanks to your brilliant post...

only problem i have is when i downloaded this theme from :

REVOlution DROID 1.2r1

the "REVOlution_all_sense" download and i put it as"update.zip" on the root of my phone and i boot my phone into the bootloader and i tell it to get the rom from the sd it says E: no tar file found. And then i try to install it it always aborts....

is there any way you can help me with that

thanks

jeffe65

Reaction score
hockeykid949 - I haven't installed any ROM's yet, but if you're trying to install an update.zip file shouldn't you be doing it from SPRecovery and not the bootloader?

(Or ClockworkRecovery if that's what you're using)

omnomnom

Reaction score
I just followed your proceedure and it worked perfectly. I had the OTA FRG22 update with no root, and now I'm rooted again! BTW, my PC has Win 7 64-bit, and I ran into NONE of the potential problems you mention.
Now, do I flash Cyanogenmod? or wait. Hmmmm.
Thanks again.
:welcome: to the forums!

Wait or not, it's up to you, but consider the fact that the sooner you try it the sooner you can say "I can't believe I waited so long!" ;)

Thanks for the welcome!

Well, I waited, but only a day. Now rocking CyanogenMod 6.0, and loving it.
I had previously run CM 5.0.8, but got impatient at some point and flashed a leaked, rooted FroYo ROM. Shortly after, I got the OTA FRG22 update, and lost root. I've been been missing my root and CM ever since.

hockeykid949

Reaction score
hockeykid949 - I haven't installed any ROM's yet, but if you're trying to install an update.zip file shouldn't you be doing it from SPRecovery and not the bootloader?

(Or ClockworkRecovery if that's what you're using)

how do i get to the spr recovery?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to do some more reading my friend. It is in the guide on the first page. X+power button.

-Droid Does

hockeykid949

Reaction score
You need to do some more reading my friend. It is in the guide on the first page. X+power button.

-Droid Does

thats what i do and i get the error....I downloaded Rom Manager and its backing up my old rom and installing the new one

EDIT. After doing that my phone rebooted and is stuck on reloading the "DROID" writing in white..it keeps retrying to load it and thats it...WHAT do u think i should do know

EDIT2: I erased all the cache from the partition and the user data now its on a black screen....

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are you using clockwork to do this? Or sprecovery? If its asking for a tar file I believe that's clockwork.
I haven't used clockwork.
You flashed using motocache's guide correct? If so you over wrote sprecovery. Someone else may be able to chime in.
Did you make a nandroid backup when you flashed sprecovery?

-Droid Does

hockeykid949

Reaction score
Are you using clockwork to do this? Or sprecovery? If its asking for a tar file I believe that's clockwork.
I haven't used clockwork.
You flashed using motocache's guide correct? If so you over wrote sprecovery. Someone else may be able to chime in.
Did you make a nandroid backup when you flashed sprecovery?

-Droid Does

i used clock work and I used a theme from the site that I put in my earlier post . It did ask me to either make a backup or not and I said yes. Right now im running the nandroid and its "restoring data"

any clue as to whether the theme .zip i downloaded could be to blame or clockwork?

EDIT: IT JUST FININSHED AND IM BACK AT HOME.....whew i almost **** my pants there

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could be either. My money is on ROM manager. Everyone on here has seen both ends of the spectrum. Either it works wonders or it totally screws the phone.

-Droid Does

hockeykid949

Reaction score
Could be either. My money is on ROM manager. Everyone on here has seen both ends of the spectrum. Either it works wonders or it totally screws the phone.

-Droid Does

I used sprecovery first and i keep getting the E:no tar archives found when i try to install the update.zip

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could have been the downloaded file then.

-Droid Does

fetchman

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you are taking the "install ROM from SD card" option in SPRecovery. Don't. Just "allow" and then "install".