[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

miucci

Reaction score
Hello,

You're intrusions worked great and I rooted just fine, but now I can't get a single wifi tether to work. No error messages, but barnacle isn't even being picked up by either of my computers and wireless tether connects but never loads anything. Please please help?! It's the whole reason I rooted.

I had to enable USB debugging to get it to work, even though I was using WiFi. It's under Settings > Applications > Development. Beyond that, someone else here may be able to help.

I found the solution, just in case anyone else is having the same problem.. The wifi tether app in the market wouldn't work but if you download the latest experimental Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code it worked like a charm.

aryanjr

Reaction score
I loaded the spr as instructed above, when I try to install update.zip I get a message:
E:can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(No such file or directory)
E:can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted

The phone (droid 1) will not boot beyond the round Moto Logo

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to probe this thread a bit more. Its either a mount issue with your sdcard (are you still attached to the computer when you install update.zip?) Or a problem with the sdcard itself. Try pulling the battery and reseating the sdcard. If not, try cleaning the contacts with a pencil eraser, or try another sdcard.

aryanjr

Reaction score
Ok, changed cards, loaded a new one with an update.zip file IT WORKED!

Thanks a bunch!

Ossian

Reaction score
This rooting process shouldn't affect any of your current applications. All it does is install a different recovery (SPRecovery) than the stock one, BusyBox, and gives you SuperUser access to everything in your phone. If you root it this way and do nothing else after that, you probably wouldn't notice any difference in how your phone operates.

SPRecovery, incidentally, gives you the ability to run nandroid backups, which allow you to backup your phone and its settings any time you want to make changes.

This was all the reassurance I needed.
Went ahead and followed the procedure, and everything "just worked" (using Win7 64-bit, incidentally)

Thank you!!!

I :heart: :greendroid:
dancedroid

dehartenator

Reaction score
i have already posted tis on a different thread by someone who had the same problem as me. but i followed these steps step by step. and when my phone restarted the first time it told me i had a dead battery and tried to activate itself but it never could open it. and i turned it off and tried the boot loader and it wont work and now nothing works. just the little light where its plugged in at. please help

dehartenator

Reaction score
i got it to come back on but im still having the low batt and no service problem. its plugged in but doesnt show it is. and it restarts back at the eye every few minutes.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
You said it had booted up but it was giving you battery issues.

Download the ROM, rename it update.zip, boot your phone into recovery, mount the SD card, copy it from the PC to the root of the SD card, dismount the SD card, wipe system and data caches 3x each, then install the update.zip and reboot. See if it'll load.

dehartenator

Reaction score
i can try but ive only gotten it to start up twice since i asked the question origionally. then its just the light on the charger and nothing. and ive been unsuccessful with booting it to the recovery menu

dehartenator

Reaction score
i finally go it to boot to recovery. i went to mount options, mount sd card and in the command line i says mounted /sdcard. but it doesnt show up in my computer