[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

tktouch12

Reaction score
sorry if i missed this, but will a simple rsd flash back to a 2.0.1 sbf completely undo this and put my phone back to stock?

greeknasty

Reaction score
When I try to run RSD Lite as an administrator the box is unchecked and grayed out and uncheckable. Is there something I'm doing wrong.

Are you following the entire step from the OP?

[...]remember to run RSD Lite as administrator by right clicking its menu choice and choosing "Run as Administrator". If you don't have such an option, you may be able to right click on the shortcut, choose "properties", and check "Run this program as Administrator" [pic].
I don't have a Win 7 box so that tip came from someone who does that piloted the process and had the same problem as you.

hey may be talking about the actual box in properties being grayed out..
but coming from microsoft's forums:
Code:
"Do you have administrator rights to the computer?  Are you currently login with the administrator account?
Do you have the User Account Control disable by any chance? Reenable UAC will give you the Run as Administrator back."

enableing UAC should work

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
hey may be talking about the actual box in properties being grayed out..
but coming from microsoft's forums:
Code:
"Do you have administrator rights to the computer?  Are you currently login with the administrator account?
Do you have the User Account Control disable by any chance? Reenable UAC will give you the Run as Administrator back."
enableing UAC should work
Good work. I skipped Vista because of the horror stories, but I probably need to set up a Windows 7 box as I hear it's pretty decent. I should at least make a VMware virtual one or something just to play with it...

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Win 7 is still bloated, overpriced, crap.

Of course, the same is doubly true of Vista now and ever shall be, and of XP to a lesser extent when it first hit -- Microsoft finally got THAT one right, so hopefully 7 will shape up as well. :)

(FYI, Microsoft just recently extended XP support for another 10 years. What does that tell you?)

Back on topic here -- I've heard a few back-channel reports that this is working better than the original SPRecovery SBF did for some people who tried it when they were running 2.1. VERY good job, MotoCache!

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I've heard a few back-channel reports that this is working better than the original SPRecovery SBF did for some people who tried it when they were running 2.1. VERY good job, MotoCache!
Cool! The one thing that I really like about it is that, on my machine, it takes like 15 seconds from the time I press "Start" to the time the phone reboots. Man, you gotta be ready for that... :)

Reaction score
So I am using XP and when I run RSDLite it can never find my phone even after setting it to first come first serve setting. What am I doing wrong?

edit: figured it out, I am a moron and never installed the drivers....

Last edited:

ShowTime

Reaction score
Nice work Moto! Now comes the challenge of not getting fired at work tomorrow when I spend the entire day messing around with roms and themes and and and..... :icon_ lala:

kcallis

Reaction score
I have gone through every write-up that I have run across and and still running into the same issue. Prior to the Verizon attempt at upgrading to 2.2, I was happily running BB 0.4 ROM with no issues. I even upgraded the ROM a couple of times to later versions.

Although I would occasionally get the message for the 2.2 upgrade, I would ignore it. Recently, I decided I wanted to change my ROM to Frozen Yogurt, and started attempted to get into the bootloader menu re-powering while pressing X. All that did we constantly keep displaying the M logo, but would not boot. Once I let go of X, then it booted just fine into BB 0.4

I then decided to do the SPRecover mode using the files that I listed on the first page of this thread. I am running Windows 7 virtualized under Virtualbox. I have checked to make sure that RSD has administrative rights. Everytime I attempt to load SPRecover, it seem to start correctly, until it is time to do the re-enumeration at which point it fails.

I am not a Windows person, so maybe I don't have the admin rights set correctly? Cuold someone give me a pointer on what I might be doing wrong? Just trying to get to another ROM before the turn of the year.

Thanks

G

gavron

Flash SPrecovery from console.

Flash a real ROM (not any VZW OTA ROM).

Enjoy.

E

crspang

Reaction score
So I am using XP and when I run RSDLite it can never find my phone even after setting it to first come first serve setting. What am I doing wrong?

edit: figured it out, I am a moron and never installed the drivers....

HaHa I did the exact same thing! I was dumbfounded for an hour while I searched for a solution, then I went back and read the directions line by line. Doh!

kcallis

Reaction score
I am not sure if that message was to me, but now time for an update. There is a reason why one virtualizes Windows. It is because no one should waste a decent machine on a problem OS.

Switching over to my handy ubuntu box, in a matter of seconds, SPRecovery was loaded on my phone. The issue came up with I attempted to load MotoCache's update.zip. It failed saying I was blocked from updating. When I REBOOTED, I was back to a very vanilla Bugless Beast 0.4. Keep in mind that I wiped user and cache data. Tried this several time and realized I am stuck with BB 0.4. Thank goodness for a nandroid backup.

So how does one do an update without being blocked? Afterall, FY or Chevy is calling my name!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I am not sure if that message was to me, but now time for an update. There is a reason why one virtualizes Windows. It is because no one should waste a decent machine on a problem OS.

Switching over to my handy ubuntu box, in a matter of seconds, SPRecovery was loaded on my phone. The issue came up with I attempted to load MotoCache's update.zip. It failed saying I was blocked from updating. When I REBOOTED, I was back to a very vanilla Bugless Beast 0.4. Keep in mind that I wiped user and cache data. Tried this several time and realized I am stuck with BB 0.4. Thank goodness for a nandroid backup.

So how does one do an update without being blocked? Afterall, FY or Chevy is calling my name!
Fortunately, you are quite close and it sounds like you're just missing a simple step.

But, before I tell you what to do, did you use sbf_flash on your Ubuntu box? Just curious as I've not used it yet and if that's what you used, it's good to know it actually works. :)

The only "blocked" I can think of that you'd get in SPRecovery would be if you skipped this step:
15. Now highlight "Allow update.zip Installation" and choose it. [It will appear to do nothing -- that's normal. If you're unsure if you clicked it or not, choose it twice, it won't hurt.]

As far as what you had after rebooting, if all you did was flash SPRecovery, and your rooting install didn't go, then nothing else changed on your phone that would affect your BB.

Let me know (on both counts -- if the above fixes you and if you used sbf_flash).

G

gavron

sbf_flash doesn't work on my 64-bit Ubuntu box. It "error 16"s twice and fails to detect the phone.

I don't have any 32-bit installations to test with...

E

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
sbf_flash doesn't work on my 64-bit Ubuntu box. It "error 16"s twice and fails to detect the phone.

I don't have any 32-bit installations to test with...
You guys are just going to make me get off my butt and build a Ubuntu VM to play with aren't you? :) I need to do it anyway so I have a place to run the ARM cross compiler to compile kernels and such. Sigh.