[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Very Nice! Thank You very much!

I have ONE question... Is says "any OS". I want to get the official FRG22B update that is rolling now, should I wait until it rolls to my phone since I assume SPR will block the OTA.
I am already rooted (have SU access) with Busy Box, Ti Backup, etc. using Easy Root because I lost root doing a manual update of 2.2 (FRG01B) and using the wrong (official) file and decided to try the easy way to root.

Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Pretty much if it is a Linux based operating system, it should work. There's nothing OS version specific in either of my files. So it works even for for OS versions that haven't been released yet. :)

Thanks... I'll be the first test to see if this is true. I un-rooted and will wait for 22D and try your files then report back unless someone else confirms it works on the 22D OTA first.

G

gavron

Very Nice! Thank You very much!

I have ONE question... Is says "any OS". I want to get the official FRG22B update that is rolling now, should I wait until it rolls to my phone since I assume SPR will block the OTA.
I am already rooted (have SU access) with Busy Box, Ti Backup, etc. using Easy Root because I lost root doing a manual update of 2.2 (FRG01B) and using the wrong (official) file and decided to try the easy way to root.

Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

FRG22B vs FRG01B has been covered by (I think) the Sapphire developer (cvsps?). No major changes.

If you're happy with what you are running, stick with it. "Newest" doesn't mean "best". A lot of times what VZW thinks is "best" we (you and I) may not.

FRG01B is fine... the custom ROMs based on it and its predecessor are great.

E

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
Pretty much if it is a Linux based operating system, it should work. There's nothing OS version specific in either of my files. So it works even for for OS versions that haven't been released yet. :)

Thanks... I'll be the first test to see if this is true. I un-rooted and will wait for 22D and try your files then report back unless someone else confirms it works on the 22D OTA first.
I keep hoping someone will "capture" a 22D push and save off the .zip so I can take a look at it. If anybody gets the push and is running a custom recovery which blocks the install, you can grab the file from /cache if you ADB to the phone while SPRecovery is still open. After you reboot out of SPRecovery the file will be gone.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Awesome writeup. I'm so glad to finally know why rsdlite always failed and never completed. Even though I never had any issues, the anal side of me was always bothered just a little bit by that. Now we can finally get it to "pass"... It's the little things. :)

jerroedr

Reaction score
NOOB fo sho!

OK,

I followed all the steps, and I think I did everything right. How do I tell? Should I make backups? What next?

Sorry and thanks!

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
OK,

I followed all the steps, and I think I did everything right. How do I tell? Should I make backups? What next?

Sorry and thanks!
Try to reboot into recovery. If you get SPRecovery instead of the stock triangle with the ! you're good. For a further test, download a terminal emulator from the market, open it, and type SU. The prompt should change to #. If not, you don't have Super User permissions and will need to install them.

As for "what's next?", how about now what? Check the link in my sig.

skylordusa1

Reaction score
MOTOCACHE1 Is The Man

All I gotta say is you rock Motocache. Just a few days ago I was stuck with the OTA 2.2 which slowed down my droid to the point of lag that was driving me crazy. Then I come on to this forum to look for help on how to root. And find a Genius tagged Motocache1 hahahahahha. Not only does he try to help he goes above and beyond by investigating on his own time. Writing up a step by step guide that even an idiot noob like me can follow. And boom here I am running a liquid custom rom with a watermark theme and an awesome custom recovery that works perfectly. And now my droid is running like a new machine. I feel like I bought a new phone. Its so smooth and fast. I just want to say thank you again Motocache for putting up with all my dumb questions and helping everyone out that was having trouble by providing your step by step guide that you spent alot of time on. Thanks again man.

Motocache1 for President. hahahahahhahaa.

Now I just need to figure out how to put this guide in my sig. hahahahhahaha Maybe one day I will not be such a noober.

skylordusa1

Reaction score
Yeah boyyyyy I figured out how to add the thread to my sig. Score one for this nooooob hahahahhahahaha.

jfreckles

Reaction score
Can't Run as administrator.

When I try to run RSD Lite as an administrator the box is unchecked and grayed out and uncheckable. Is there something I'm doing wrong.

jerroedr

Reaction score
so i got the wifi tethering from the google link but i am having trouble getting my computer to connect to it. Any ideas?

tktouch12

Reaction score
very good job. nice work
i feel pretty cool cuz i just read the first set of instructions and knew what to do.. lol

but really, great job

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
When I try to run RSD Lite as an administrator the box is unchecked and grayed out and uncheckable. Is there something I'm doing wrong.
Are you already logged in with an account with Administrator privileges? If you are, don't worry about it.

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score

Are you following the entire step from the OP?

[...]remember to run RSD Lite as administrator by right clicking its menu choice and choosing "Run as Administrator". If you don't have such an option, you may be able to right click on the shortcut, choose "properties", and check "Run this program as Administrator" [pic].

I don't have a Win 7 box so that tip came from someone who does that piloted the process and had the same problem as you.