[HACKS] Root Droid 1 - regardless of OS version

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
All my computers are Windows 7 64-bit. What does "probably be OK" mean?
It means you probably won't have any trouble, but if you do, I wouldn't spend too terribly much time trying to figure it out before you try to lay your fingers on an XP machine. Plenty of folks use Windows 7 64-bit with no trouble at all. In fact, one of my proof testers did.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Nice work Moto. As soon as I'm home and can get in front of my computer tomorrow night, it's finally root time. Thanks for all the hard work and hours put in.

G

gavron

Please advise when there's a method which works on linux.
OK, I've updated the procedure to work on Linux as well. Please see the revised item #1 under "things you're going to need". If you do it and it works, please let me know and I'll update the OP.

You did... and I thank you for it.

Unfortunately that particular program, sbf_flash, doesn't work on many machines, always displaying the same errors and never detecting the phone. The author has not responded to requests for either fixes or to provide the source.

Still great writeup :)

Ehud

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score
Very Nice! Thank You very much!

I have ONE question... Is says "any OS". I want to get the official FRG22B update that is rolling now, should I wait until it rolls to my phone since I assume SPR will block the OTA.
I am already rooted (have SU access) with Busy Box, Ti Backup, etc. using Easy Root because I lost root doing a manual update of 2.2 (FRG01B) and using the wrong (official) file and decided to try the easy way to root.

Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

amotamatapia

Reaction score
I just have one question as well. I lost root when I accidentally applied an update.zip (superuser is unresponsive now). I rooted when I was on 2.0.1. Should this method be fine with 2.0.1?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I have ONE question... Is says "any OS". I want to get the official FRG22B update that is rolling now, should I wait until it rolls to my phone since I assume SPR will block the OTA.
I am already rooted (have SU access) with Busy Box, Ti Backup, etc. using Easy Root because I lost root doing a manual update of 2.2 (FRG01B) and using the wrong (official) file and decided to try the easy way to root.

Probably just a typo, it's FRG22D. To the best of my knowledge FRG22D doesn't have a rooted version out, like FRG01B did. And I'm not sure somebody is going to have a signed version of it available.

The C&D that was put out on the leak may make this difficult to get a copy for someone to work with. So I would root and use the signed version of FRG01B and just download Flash manually from another web site. If you want to install a custom ROM then do so.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score

Probably just a typo, it's FRG22D. To the best of my knowledge FRG22D doesn't have a rooted version out, like FRG01B did. And I'm not sure somebody is going to have a signed version of it available.

The C&D that was put out on the leak may make this difficult to get a copy for someone to work with. So I would root and use the signed version of FRG01B and just download Flash manually from another web site. If you want to install a custom ROM then do so.

Yep Typo...

I'm just trying to find out if "ANY" OS means any including FRG22D. I know there is no way of telling until someone with OTA 22D actually tries this but I'll tell you something... I just "Unrooted" using Easy root and the phone is flying right now, NO lag, No screen redraws, etc. Everything is right there when I make a selection or swipe screens... Even Gallery loads about twice as fast as it was yesterday.

Last edited:
OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score

Pretty much if it is a Linux based operating system, it should work. There's nothing OS version specific in either of my files. So it works even for for OS versions that haven't been released yet. :)

fetchman

Reaction score
First off, Thanks Moto. This has has ended my 2 1/2 week long frustration with the "FRS". I just completed your process and everything worked as advertised - I think. Just one question. Should I be seeing BusyBox in my applications list? I see superuser permissions (and have used it for Drocap2) but do not see Busybox. Should it be showing?

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
First off, Thanks Moto. This has has ended my 2 1/2 week long frustration with the "FRS". I just completed your process and everything worked as advertised - I think. Just one question. Should I be seeing BusyBox in my applications list? I see superuser permissions (and have used it for Drocap2) but do not see Busybox. Should it be showing?
Nope. There's no .apk component to busybox. It's strictly a toolbox that is needed by many "requires root" type apps.

Last edited:

amotamatapia

Reaction score
I just have one question as well. I lost root when I accidentally applied an update.zip (superuser is unresponsive now). I rooted when I was on 2.0.1. Should this method be fine with 2.0.1?

Any idea on this? I just do not want to mess my phone up if this method works with 2.1, 2.2 only. Thanks

OP
MotoCache1

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score

Any idea on this? I just do not want to mess my phone up if this method works with 2.1, 2.2 only. Thanks
Any OS.

That said, if all that's wrong is that su isn't happy, but you still have your custom recovery, etc., then you don't need to do all this. Just reinstall su.

amotamatapia

Reaction score

Any OS.

That said, if all that's wrong is that su isn't happy, but you still have your custom recovery, etc., then you don't need to do all this. Just reinstall su.

ok, great! I will try that and see how it goes. Much thanks!