Root, Bootlogo, etc

|DX^GUY|

Reaction score
What my title states is,

1. I want to root my phone. (I've read so many procedures and they confuse me enough that I'm starting this thread for questions)

2. I want to add a bootlogo that someone created for me. (I have RSDlite, the phone connects, I upload the *.sdf file, I click start, and it says "Failed Flashing process. Unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file. (0x7029); phone connected")

I've searched everywhere for an easy Walk-through for a Droid X 2.2 root. I want to learn this stuff because I wanna open this thing wide open so I can get everything I can out of it.

I drive for a living, so I want the tethering app instead of forking 20 bucks for VZW.

I love personalizing myself and I've learned that ROMs are my best friend. So I as well want to learn about those.

I know this is alot and might just throw some hands up, but being guided in a precise path, i'll be able to do this stuff in my sleep.

Thanks Guys, MUCH APPRECIATED

DarkJeckyll

Reaction score
Easy root

Droid X

Thats the easiest one ive found it takes a total of 3 clicks and your rooted. You never have to type any commands or anything thats what i used my first time. Good luck

Right under the picture ull see "Instructions for Official 2.2 OTA ONLY"

And right under that ull see those 6 steps are the steps for root.

OP
D

|DX^GUY|

Reaction score

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no you werent supposed to extract the rage file

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
just enter the blue lines of code in ur terminal on ur phone and let it do the rest

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ohhh sorry i wasnt thinking straight. christim made 1 file that had rage in it along with su, superuser and busybox.

yes take the .zip and put it into your /sdcard/download/ folder and extract into that directory. then follow the code

OP
D

|DX^GUY|

Reaction score
so proceed with copying all 4 to the /tmp folder?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no what ur reading is just him explaining what each of the steps are. the code will move around what needs to be. type this in word for word in the terminal

Okay, let's do it - type the blue parts in Terminal Emulator
  1. cd /tmp
  2. cp /sdcard/download/rage*.bin /tmp/
  3. chmod 777 rage*.bin
  4. ./rage*.bin
    This will take some time, just wait for the $ to show up so you know it is done.
  5. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Terminal Emulator > and Force Stop the application
  6. Sanity check - Go into Terminal Emulator again and make sure you have a # symbol as a prompt. If so you are ready to proceed.
  7. mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  8. cp /sdcard/download/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
  9. cp /sdcard/download/su /system/bin/su
  10. cp /sdcard/download/busybox /system/bin/busybox
  11. chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
  12. chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
  13. mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  14. exit

OP
D

|DX^GUY|

Reaction score
no what ur reading is just him explaining what each of the steps are. the code will move around what needs to be. type this in word for word in the terminal

Okay, let's do it - type the blue parts in Terminal Emulator
  1. cd /tmp
  2. cp /sdcard/download/rage*.bin /tmp/
  3. chmod 777 rage*.bin
  4. ./rage*.bin
    This will take some time, just wait for the $ to show up so you know it is done.
  5. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Terminal Emulator > and Force Stop the application
  6. Sanity check - Go into Terminal Emulator again and make sure you have a # symbol as a prompt. If so you are ready to proceed.
  7. mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  8. cp /sdcard/download/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
  9. cp /sdcard/download/su /system/bin/su
  10. cp /sdcard/download/busybox /system/bin/busybox
  11. chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
  12. chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
  13. mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  14. exit

cannot find abd..... what did i do wrong?

Saaggs

Reaction score
Me too

K I'm new as well and need some clarification on a few things if possible. I have a droid x and wanted to use Root Explorer to change the Unlock.ogg. to something other than the little sound. I have converted an MP3 file to .ogg and got it to sound great and it is currently named Unlock.ogg and is on my sdcard.

While trying to rename the original Unlock.ogg in SYSTEM/MEDIA/AUDIO/UI it tells me that the file is read only. I go back to reading forums . . .

. . . I come back under the impression that I now need to root my phone to continue. I see a file in Root Explorer called root and it says that my phone doesn't seem to be rooted. I learn about a program called DroidXRoot that has two buttons one to root one to unroot. After a little struggle I finally get the program to tell me that my phone has been successfully rooted.

I reboot and open Root Explorer only to get told the same thing -- the Unlock.ogg file in the UI is still saying read only and when I clicked on the root file it said that my phone doesn't appear to be rooted.

Taking a step back, I remember reading about an app called Superuser that I'm supposed to have, I check my apps and no Superuser so I check the market and find a free one.

I should note here that my antivirus flagged the Superuser I downloaded, I picked the one with the most good reviews so I tend to think its no big deal, but still. When I open Superuser it tells me I need to update the su binary and to click OK to automatically update. The update falis and tells me su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip has been placed on my sdcard please reboot into recovery mode and flash it to update my su binary. I don't know how to do that.

This is where I'm at right now wondering if I'm close to the end result and if I'm missing something so far that might make this all make more sense. I also don't know if I'm on the righht track or if I should unroot through the program I rooted through and start over or what. Help Please. I don't know if the previous guides are even for my phone. I have read most of them and am still unsure what if anything I'm leaving out or 100 percent on what I should do next. Anyone have any Ideas?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
its adb maybe thats y?

and saaggs, please make your own thread, thread-jacking is frowned upon here :)

Saaggs

Reaction score
Oopps

Sure thing, I'm new to forums as well, please accept my appology.