Root and warrenty?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by mha, Jul 31, 2010.

1. mha

mha New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know if I brick my droid xwarrenty will not cover it but say I brick it and then happen to drop it in the toilet will warrenty cover it? Will they know it had ben bricked before and not cover it and later charge me for it? I sask because I want to root my droid x but am scared of whut can happen and later not have a phone with a 2 year verizon contact

Ps I have like 2 wreeks to decide if I wasn't to get the warrenty so please let me know?

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Nope, if you drop it in the toilet your stuck unless you have insurance. That's warranty repair.

Unless they've come up with a way to remove the root I wouldn't do it until they do.

3. mkthnx001

mkthnx001 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You most likely will not brick your device if you have the least bit of common sense.

There are two methods to rooting the Droid X as of yet; manually with adb, etc., or using a user-created Windows program.

Windows program:
    Code:
    http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=553
    It's kind of funny how much people are praising that guy for this program. It's not that hard to make using Visual C++, etc. :p

4. hookbill

Ratings:
    +7
    lol, maybe easy for you to say but to a lot of us that's rocket scientist stuff.:)

5. Humpa

Humpa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Aside from obvious physical abuse/damage, water damage is the only other thing Verizon will ever refuse a warranty exchange. Though technically rooting my void the warranty, I've never heard of that actually happening (ie, someone being billed for the retail value of their phone because a warranty exchanged phone was found to have been rooted - this doesnt happen). Not that I'm promoting anything ... ;)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  6. hookbill

Ratings:
    +7
    Well, I've heard of Verizon Stores checking and finding out, but I don't know of a single case of it being caught being done by phone.

Still, if there isn't a way to remove the root (and there may be for all I know) I don't recommend it.

7. Humpa

Humpa Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The one-click root method program for Windows works great for rooting and unrooting.
    Also, unrooting can be done by applying any OTA, so long as you haven't renamed/removed certain thngs in the /system folder.

8. bigd73

bigd73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are many ways to get a warranty replacement if they refuse to take a rooted phone. But seriously, you can just unroot your phone and delete all the files you put on it to root it and no Verizon rep is going to know the difference.

By the way, there are three methods for rooting your phone. Mr. 1 click C++ special, ADB, and on the phone in a terminal without using ADB. Just look under the Droid X Hacks section and you'll find them.:)

9. DebianDog

DebianDog Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0

LOL they're not DOLTS!!! Heck, it was my rep that TOLD me about rooting the phone after I balked at the cost of tethering. She looked both ways and whispered, "You can get it for free. But you did not hear it from me"

10. mkthnx001

mkthnx001 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't matter; they're still most likely not going to know you ever rooted your device if you take the proper steps to clean up after yourself.

EDIT: Cheers at using Debian.

11. DebianDog

DebianDog Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +0

I 100% agree but they are not all morons (my point). As long as it does not effect their bottom line I doubt they have a reason to care.

12. bigd73

bigd73 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly! I couldn't have said it better.

Search tags for this page

i am afraid to loose my warranty after rooting

verizon warranty root