Root and Linux

Hawaiian1der

Reaction score
Here's praying that someone in the world will answer to this thread...

I am about to go crazy. I decided today that I liked the Droid X more then the Samsung Fascinate (Yes, I am aware, someone out there would like to kill me after seeing that statement). I think the truth boils down to, that I wanted the name of Motorola... Anyways, I cant find anywhere on the net about how to root the DX on Linux! I found on thread on the XDA forums, but it wouldn't work. I even broke down and used the worst OS in the world, Windoze, and even there I couldn't do it. For anyone who could possibly help, I have the Droid X OTA 2.2.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
check out ROOTED in my sig for a way to root on any OS.

kdkinc

Reaction score

I am about to go crazy. I decided today that I liked the Droid X more then the Samsung Fascinate (Yes, I am aware, someone out there would like to kill me after seeing that statement). I think the truth boils down to, that I wanted the name of Motorola... Anyways, I cant find anywhere on the net about how to root the DX on Linux! I found on thread on the XDA forums, but it wouldn't work. I even broke down and used the worst OS in the world, Windoze, and even there I couldn't do it. For anyone who could possibly help, I have the Droid X OTA 2.2.

rooting with Linux is a breeze,Rootzwiki link
Droid X
:icon_eek::icon_eek:

TuxDude

Reaction score

rooting with Linux is a breeze,Rootzwiki link
Droid X
:icon_eek::icon_eek:

This does not seem to be working with my 2.2.1 OTA at least :( Would love to have such a simple working solution on Linux for 2.2.1 too :)

liferefugee

Reaction score
For 2.2.1 download z4root. Worked for me first try.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rwaustin

Reaction score
Z4root did it for me and there was an update that made it look better. Then I used Barnacal and it is working like a charm.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

TuxDude

Reaction score
I'm not attempting to try z4root because the steps performed by that too is not quite so clear.... I saw many people having problems with having two versions of SuperUser.apk getting created, failure to remove or re-root the device after the update and many other cases.... I know z4root provides the unroot option, but still many had issues in doing a fresh rooting after this as well....

In the above series of steps or doroot.sh, it is quit clear what is going on and in case if I need to bring back the phone to the clean state, I can easily do it instead of relying on the tool.....

I'm sure z4root does something similar may be performs some extra step, it would be good to know what it is....

maderschramm

Reaction score
z4 uses the droid x/2 root method rageagiantthecage. Google 'rageagainstthecage droid x root' and get the steps and do the steps yourself from the terminal. That's how I root

TuxDude

Reaction score
Thanks - I aready knew the steps but didnt work the way it was supposed to the first time and figured tht when I followed the steps directly on the phone terminal instead of from PC's ADB which worked....

rwaustin

Reaction score
Just got the OS update and had to use z4root to re-root without any problem. Did have to shut down and restart but working well.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App