Root and factory reset question, please help

hobby31

Reaction score
I have a moto X, rooted after the .604 update. Recently I installed launcher pro and then paid to get the full version. Anyway, my problem started shortly after I paid for the full version. I decided to go back to the stock UI and all seemed fine but then I noticed my home screen dock was messed up. See Pic:

I uninstalled launcherpro and that didn't fix it. I rebooted and that didn't fix it. I adb pushed a clean framework-res.apk, BlurHome.apk, Sevices.jar, blur-res.apk. First I tried just the framework which didn't help. Then I tried the BlurHome.apk and upon reboot the dock was fixed but all my widgets were gone so I started setting them back up and after a couple widgets they would start messing up, jumping to different screens, become slightly distorted, multipling themselves at which time I would drag and delete them and reboot and the dock would revert to the messed up look. I then tried BlurHome.apk, services.jar, blur-res.apk and all seemed fine like before but applying widgets again would cause the same effect.

I've decided to try a factory reset and start over and reroot and stuff but need a couple questions answered. Can I reset when I'm root? The only "bloat" I removed was cityID which I just renamed to cityID.bak. Do I need to change it back?

Any help would be appreciated especially if you can help without factory rest.

Thanks

oh, in the pic, the dock looks ok except when switching screens. The dots come up then down ok but the white icons stay where they are. The screen shot is when switching screens.

Last edited:

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have a moto X, rooted after the .604 update. Recently I installed launcher pro and then paid to get the full version. Anyway, my problem started shortly after I paid for the full version. I decided to go back to the stock UI and all seemed fine but then I noticed my home screen dock was messed up. See Pic:

I uninstalled launcherpro and that didn't fix it. I rebooted and that didn't fix it. I adb pushed a clean framework-res.apk, BlurHome.apk, Sevices.jar, blur-res.apk. First I tried just the framework which didn't help. Then I tried the BlurHome.apk and upon reboot the dock was fixed but all my widgets were gone so I started setting them back up and after a couple widgets they would start messing up, jumping to different screens, become slightly distorted, multipling themselves at which time I would drag and delete them and reboot and the dock would revert to the messed up look. I then tried BlurHome.apk, services.jar, blur-res.apk and all seemed fine like before but applying widgets again would cause the same effect.

I've decided to try a factory reset and start over and reroot and stuff but need a couple questions answered. Can I reset when I'm root? The only "bloat" I removed was cityID which I just renamed to cityID.bak. Do I need to change it back?

Any help would be appreciated especially if you can help without factory rest.

Thanks

oh, in the pic, the dock looks ok except when switching screens. The dots come up then down ok but the white icons stay where they are. The screen shot is when switching screens.

Don't know about the dock, maybe try reinstalling, "pushing" a clean stock launcher?

As far as the widgets go, delete all the "problem loading widgets" banners off your homescreens before you start putting widgets back on any homescreen.

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
Thanks for replying. I've tried pushing the BlurHome.apk a number of times and the last couple I've actually deleted all widgets prior to pushing it so there would be no prior widgets on reboot. The dock will work fine after the reboot but when I start adding the motorola widgets I start getting problems. i've tried it three times. With the blur home I don't see just a launcher.apk in the system dump I have. I think it is all tied into the blur home. If I could figure out what package deals with the widgets in the system dump I would try just pushing that. Any ideas?

OP
hobby31

hobby31

Reaction score
bump...anyone? If not how about the question of factory reseting while rooted?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
bump...anyone? If not how about the question of factory reseting while rooted?

As far as I know and someone correct me if I am wrong:
The factory reset will not restore files you deleted. There is not a backed up copy sitting on your phone somewhere of the default install. It will remove all your personal settings, installed programs, etc so I am assuming it is wiping all cache and data. You then reactivate the phone.

I've got a droid 1. I've installed a rom on it which replaced the original operating system. The factory reset will not put my phone back to stock.

wayde22

Reaction score
A few seemingly...maybe dumb questions.

1.) Has anyone successfully rooted a Droid X?
2.) If so, how do you do it(without bricking it)?
4.) How does it actually help to "ROOT" your Droid?
3.) How do you get FREE 3G WiFi Hotspot service?

As I am a novice with hacking anything, I appreciate any help that I can get, Thank You!!!

Last edited: