Root Access without Unlocking Bootloader/Wiping Data?

Tegamal

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm just over looking it, but is it possible?

My wife doesn't get anywhere near as strong of a signal as I do with my .223 flashed Bionic. She will have maybe 1/2 signal on 3G where I am running strong 4GLTE. This is her second Nexus & had this issue on the last one too, but at least this one doesn't reboot on her several times a day & drop signal completely.

I heard that the Jelly Bean radios could solve this issue for her. She doesn't want a new ROM or anything fancy, just a better signal. She also doesn't want to wipe & start over from scratch. I was looking into Wug's Toolkit & I saw where it lists just rooting (not unlocking the bootloader), but it doesn't mention wiping data one way or the other.

Can anyone answer this for me? Thanks in advance!

tl;dr If I just want to gain root access to flash new radios, do I have to wipe the data? If not, how?

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Root access won't give you the ability to flash radios. The bootloader must be unlocked. You CAN get root access with a locked bootloader, but you will not be able to flash anything.

OP
Tegamal

Tegamal

Reaction score
OK, I read that it was possible, but it didn't sound right to me. Thanks for clearing that up.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, I read that it was possible, but it didn't sound right to me. Thanks for clearing that up.

If you get root access. You can download Ezekeel's Control App called "Glados Control". And you should be able to unlock the bootloader from the app without wiping data on the SD card.