1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Roms

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by drmcstford, Jan 28, 2010.

1. drmcstford

drmcstford New Member

There Needs to be a thread with all the words being used so people like me who are trying to soak up as much as I can to root my droid like Roms, root, and recover, etc., I'm already going to start tonight, I understand rooting but what are roms? I want to root with this guide http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...p-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge-15.html but whats the Rom for ? What are the differences in Roms? I searched and found no info on what roms are. Sorry for starting a new thread for this if there is one already .
  2. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

If you are going to make the jump, I suggest going with the Bugless one. either bugless beauty or bugless beast (runs at 800mhz). Sholes is very nice and he does great work, but many, including myself, had some bugs causing reboots and force closings. Bugless not having those issues at all.

Rom is read only memory. Basically a file of data. Someone can get more elaborate if they like, but if you read what is included in the sholes and bugless ones you will see what I mean.

Recovery is just that, Recovery. Should something get out of whack, you just want to change back or something else, recovery comes into play. You will read about sprecovery which is needed for most items.

A lot of talented people put this stuff together and do an outstanding job at it. There are a lot of good posts on how to install this stuff and of course, a lot of help in the forums. I needed it just the other day when rooting, but many helped me and I am glad they did. The step by step guides you will find are amazing.

Here is one that someone sent me to basically get sprecovery on my phone.

Custom Recovery Image - Root Your Droid
  3. drmcstford

drmcstford New Member

Sweet, my only question I understand root, so a rom is what can be used when the droid is root? And in a sence the bugless is a rom that can be used the droid when it has been rooted? Is that right ? Sorry, If so what are the spoils (or rewards) from installing a Rom like bugless? One more question do you have a guide to installing bugless ? Thanks guys and sorry for all the questions. LOL I love these forums.