1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Roms voiding warranty?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by skatingrocker17, May 24, 2010.

1. skatingrocker17

skatingrocker17 New Member

The lock/power button on my Droid sticks and I have to take it to the Verizon Wireless store so they can look at it but if they see I have Bugless Beast on my phone is that going to be a problem? I just want them to give me a new phone because the key sticking is really annoying.
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

Your warranty is void while rooted and/or running a custom ROM, and they do not have to help you. Most VZW techs are smart enough to see this, and will decline service.
  3. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

You should unroot your phone first.
  4. skatingrocker17

Gah.... if I download the unrooted Version of 2.0.1 from Rom Manager do you think that would be good enough?
  5. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I wouldnt risk it. A tech may try and update your phone for you, at which point SPRecovery or CMR would give away that you've modded your phone. Keep in mind that plenty of techs know how to root, and are bound to follow company policy to keep their jobs.
  6. skatingrocker17

This might be a stupid question but I've never even thought about taking my phone all the way back to stock. How to I get the stock recovery back on?
  7. LtKen

LtKen New Member

A 2.0.1 SBF flash and accept the 2.1 OTA update
  8. shooter_454

shooter_454 New Member

No the one in rom manager doesn't work or aleast in didn't for me.You will have to find the thread how to unroot your phone its easy.Btw i only tried the one in rom manager for the fun of it to see if it worked.
  9. skatingrocker17

This almost makes me not even want to take them the phone at all. Going to the trouble to figure out how to unroot my phone then to reroot it once I get a new one that will have 2.1 installed on it. I payed $250 for the phone and I'm having a physical problem with the phone I should be able to get a new one. Anyways thanks for the help guys.
  10. shooter_454

shooter_454 New Member

11. skatingrocker17

12. shooter_454

shooter_454 New Member

I have no idea about that one...I know that the link i posted for you will take you back to stock without the techs knowing you was ever rooted.

Also if you get a new phone you will lose all your apps,so mount your droid and drag all your folders to your desk top,that way when you get your new phone you can put them back on your new sdcard.

Hope this helps
  13. 0r!0n R364rd13$$

0r!0n R364rd13$$ New Member

I say go for it! It's something new to learn. *says the man who can't even get his SDK to work yet lol.* Go for it non the less!
  14. Kmart95

Kmart95 New Member

Seriously? Are you telling him to do something that could get him in trouble with verizon when there are many ways to avoid doing this? Anyways, (dont take my word for this cuz im not completly sure it will work) but i dont see why just finding the update.zip for the 2.1 ota and installing it wouldnt work. Just make sure you make a backup and wipe data/cache first.
  15. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

What's the worst they can say to you if they suspect that you've rooted and then returned to stock??... say No?...
    Then you're exactly where you're at now... so nothing to lose Bro...
  16. LtKen

LtKen New Member

I told you exactly how to solve your problem.....
  17. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

the OTA update will not remove/replace SPRecovery (or Clockwork whatever he's using) so if/when the tech try's to run an update or just does a factory reset they will see the phone has been modified

On the contrary there have been several reports that VZW new 'official' policy with rooted Droids is to note your account and (at the CS managers discretion) void your contract. At the very least he will loose ALL future repair service including the possibly loosing his insurance coverage (i.e. he will be stuck with the phone with NO way to get a new one).

OP, Just take your time with any of the walk-troughs using .sbf and you should be fine.
  18. skatingrocker17

And that's exactly what I plan on doing. I was just wondering about the alternative method. When (or if) they decide to give me a new phone will they either mail it to me or give me a new one right then? I hope I get a new phone that day so I don't have to go home and root my phone again so I can enjoy it until I get another phone then root that one.

And thanks for all your help everyone.
  19. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Yes, he should follow the suggestion to unroot back to stock... but he was sounding skiddish of even trying and was thinking of staying with the semi-functional Droid ...
    that's why I mentioned that he'd be right where he was at currently even if they detected it if he didn't unroot correctly back to stock.. sorta see what I was saying?
    As for them voiding the contract or noting such in our accounts... they'd be morons to drop your $$$'s and they won't. Worst they'd do is make him keep his Droid, which is exactly where he was at....
    But yeah... if he takes his time and follows directions properly he'd be good to go...
  20. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Worse he can do is brick the phone which would actually be the 'best thing' for him. If he takes a bricked phone in he gets a new phone no-questions askeddancedroid and there is NO way for VZW to determine he was 'at fault' and deny him a replacement. lol, really no downside to him trying.