ROM's to phones other than Droid?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by SteveC, Aug 3, 2010.

1. SteveC

SteveC New Member

It seems that with the original developers deream, the original Droid, on its end of life phase, coupled with the fact that Motorola seems intent on locking the bootloader on the Droid X and Droid 2, that the developers may start seeking other phones to work with. One example would be the Samsung Galaxy variants which as far as I know are already rooted. I know there are ROM's out there for phones other than the Droid. Also I see the Nexus 1 is now EOL as well.

So I suppose this is a question for any of the developers in the Custom ROM section. What is the chance that any of your current ROM work and new development might be made available for other phones, whether Samsung, HTC, or whatever? It seems like the hardest part is already done and there seems like just a few lines of code someplace to adapt a ROM for the Droid to an Incredible or a Galaxy.

I've been considering the upcoming Verizon Samsung Fascinate. It would be nice if some of the old famaliarity of Droid development could see some of those ROM's available for alternative to the new lockdown idiocy from Motorola.

I would hope that the crack the bootloader effort will continue, but in the meantime...? So just what does it take to modify a current Android ROM to phones other than the Droid anyway? Now that the Droid going away is the locked bootlaoder issue suffucient motivation, or will the effort concentrate on breaking the bootlaoder?
  2. Zandar

Zandar New Member

+1 for the Samsung. I'm seriously considering their 10" Galaxy tablet when it comes out, and I'd love the customisability I've heretofore enjoyed for my Droid.

As an aside: great work by all the devs! Without you all, the Droid would only be a lot better than the iphone instead of immeasurably better.