Romplicated decisions....

butnmshr

Reaction score
Alright. Sorry if this is going in the wrong forum, but its sort of a conversational question. I may have already posted this at droidrzr.com but it was being *****y so I'm not sure.

Razr maxx, 6.16.211. Three days ago, I'm all "What hell! Safestrap and rom time! Why not?" Started off with Eclipse, then tried the beloved Liquid that I remembered so fondly from my D2G days. Ikream, BW, Koa and Full Throttle, both AOKP and CM9, Arctic, and Gummy in that time have also seen at least five minutes on my phone.

The connundrum: Eclipse thus far is my favorite. Of the Blur roms it is the least Verizony, frigging loooove swype (for some reason...) and next to the AOKPs is the most efficient one I've tried. Only thing I really wish that there was is a few more settings, and an option in double tap home launch for messaging. Its one of the only rooms with a double tap home option anyway, and Im super used to having that work like that.... and I notice on the Eclipse features, dude mentions the from specific launcher settings and that there' Will theres not much there yet. Will there be more there at some point? Because if Eclipse had maybe the ability for me to customize the power widget or other things that I'm enamored with in the other AOSP, AOKP, and CM9 rooms, it would be stupendous. Is this simply not possible with a Blur rom?

Not absolutely the biggest fan concerning the AOKPs jittery setup and certain instabilities. The resolution issue when switching from landscape to portrait drives me batty. I know it shouldn't, but it does. The camera, albeit strangely, almost unbelievably fast, just feels weird. And also, I'm sorta a huge fan of web top. A frigging phone that turns into a usable desktop computer? Seriously bad ass.

So here's my thing... should I stick with Eclipse and wait for more tweakability, or should I stick with Koa (my personal favorite AOKP) and wait for more fluidity? Perhaps someone knows of some mods or scripts that I can just fix this stuff myself? Or do I just suck it up and deal with it? Opinions appreciated.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Alright. Sorry if this is going in the wrong forum, but its sort of a conversational question. I may have already posted this at droidrzr.com but it was being *****y so I'm not sure.

Razr maxx, 6.16.211. Three days ago, I'm all "What hell! Safestrap and rom time! Why not?" Started off with Eclipse, then tried the beloved Liquid that I remembered so fondly from my D2G days. Ikream, BW, Koa and Full Throttle, both AOKP and CM9, Arctic, and Gummy in that time have also seen at least five minutes on my phone.

The connundrum: Eclipse thus far is my favorite. Of the Blur roms it is the least Verizony, frigging loooove swype (for some reason...) and next to the AOKPs is the most efficient one I've tried. Only thing I really wish that there was is a few more settings, and an option in double tap home launch for messaging. Its one of the only rooms with a double tap home option anyway, and Im super used to having that work like that.... and I notice on the Eclipse features, dude mentions the from specific launcher settings and that there' Will theres not much there yet. Will there be more there at some point? Because if Eclipse had maybe the ability for me to customize the power widget or other things that I'm enamored with in the other AOSP, AOKP, and CM9 rooms, it would be stupendous. Is this simply not possible with a Blur rom?

Not absolutely the biggest fan concerning the AOKPs jittery setup and certain instabilities. The resolution issue when switching from landscape to portrait drives me batty. I know it shouldn't, but it does. The camera, albeit strangely, almost unbelievably fast, just feels weird. And also, I'm sorta a huge fan of web top. A frigging phone that turns into a usable desktop computer? Seriously bad ass.

So here's my thing... should I stick with Eclipse and wait for more tweakability, or should I stick with Koa (my personal favorite AOKP) and wait for more fluidity? Perhaps someone knows of some mods or scripts that I can just fix this stuff myself? Or do I just suck it up and deal with it? Opinions appreciated.
Wow...you've tried them all...or pretty much all of them. My opinion...I personally would stick with Eclipse. I've tried Eclipse and it is a very stable ROM. For me stability and continued development are important. That's not to say the the other ROMs aren't supported, I just know Eclipse has been around since GB and continues to be supported under ICS. It appears that the Eclipse developer continuously upgrades and makes improvements, maybe not always fulfilling everyone's desire...but it is updated. I've never tried Koa...but again, it goes back to stability and continued support by the developer for me.

OP
B

butnmshr

Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely got a ROM bug up my bum... I've reflashed like four times today.... Just went back to Eclipse from Liquid, before that CM9 Koa, before that AOKP Koa. Which is still my favorite..... If Eclipse had anywhere near the adjustable settings that these other ones have, but still had this frigging smooth awesomeness to it, things would be dandy. But I'm guessing that's the rub... Just need to wait for final builds and be grateful that there's so much community development for a locked device.

SirApropos

Reaction score
Just because you have the Eclipse ROM doesn't mean you're forced to use the Eclipse launcher. I use the Apex launcher, but there are quite a few other launchers out there as well. Eclipse is still the best ROM that I've tried, though, and it's what I'm currently using.

And for what it's worth, the Apex launcher allows you to assign any arbitrary app to the home key, as well as on several gestures.

OP
B

butnmshr

Reaction score
You started an account just to say that?

Adjectives are awesome.

SirApropos

Reaction score
Apparently I'm still subscribed to this. Presumably you're talking to me. Does it bother you enough for some reason you decided to dredge up a thread from months ago just to ask me that?

You complained about lack of customizability with the launcher. I suggested using a different launcher while sticking with the eclipse rom, since the eclipse launcher is pretty lacking and most AOSP Roms are completely broken. There are some promising kexec builds that finally have reliable data, but they still have other issues (mainly the camera, now). Any stock-based AOSP build seems to act like trash.

OP
B

butnmshr

Reaction score
Nooooooooooooooooooo! I appreciate your input. I am currently ALL OVER Apex. There was a troll. Someone started an account and posted once then disappeared. It was weird. And now my reply looks extra weird. I'm sorry.