Rom Your PC With Jide's Multi Window Android For PC and Mac!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Did you ever want to run full blown Android on your PC? Now you can thanks to Jide's new Multi Window Android for PCs and Macs. This is much more than just Android. It actually has the look and feel of a traditional PC OS, but brings all that you love from Android to the PC including the Google Play Store and Android apps. Remix OS will be a free download and will be released on Jan 12th. The OS runs on Lollipop for now but will soon be updated to Marshmallow.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Unless I had an older pc that couldn't upgrade to Win10, I personally don't see the appeal. We like our smartphones to be like mini pc's, not the other way around. But that's just me.
I guess a dual boot setup might be fun.

S5 tap'n

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen

@Mustang02, if you ever did a review or versus article/blog/vlog. I would be interested in your thoughts. I recently got my daughter a Chromebook for Christmas (made sure to get the Intel version so I could install Ubuntu if I wished), but I feel like the "managed users" are a bit too limited regarding app functionality and had debated installing Chromixium. However, this seems like a great alternative provided I can get it to install.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
The Remix OS is great on the Remix Ultra Tablet that I have. Kinda like a Surface, but with this OS. It makes sense there. I guess I could even see it making sense on the Remix Mini that they've released that's just a little rounded box that plugs in to your TV/Monitor/keyboard/mouse.

I wouldn't run my main PC on the OS, but it could be fun to run it on an older one and breathe new life into it.

Still waiting on the Remix 2.0 update to the Tablet though and I'm doubting that thing will see a Marshmallow based Remix OS update...

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
@Mustang02, if you ever did a review or versus article/blog/vlog. I would be interested in your thoughts. I recently got my daughter a Chromebook for Christmas (made sure to get the Intel version so I could install Ubuntu if I wished), but I feel like the "managed users" are a bit too limited regarding app functionality and had debated installing Chromixium. However, this seems like a great alternative provided I can get it to install.
Your Chromebook should already be what these apps are trying to do, make a windows PC use Android. I don't have much of an online persona so I've never blogged or written articles. I do IT consulting so I use and test a lot of different software/apps for clients. If you want to PM what you're trying to do, I can try to help you. So not to derail this tread. :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Your Chromebook should already be what these apps are trying to do, make a windows PC use Android. I don't have much of an online persona so I've never blogged or written articles. I do IT consulting so I use and test a lot of different software/apps for clients. If you want to PM what you're trying to do, I can try to help you. So not to derail this tread. :)
AFAIK, Remix is an actual OS, not an emulator. I realize you're probably talking about the emulator apps that you listed, but my understanding is that Remix would REPLACE Windows, or at least be in a dual-boot situation.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
AFAIK, Remix is an actual OS, not an emulator. I realize you're probably talking about the emulator apps that you listed, but my understanding is that Remix would REPLACE Windows, or at least be in a dual-boot situation.
Correct but Console OS is a direct OS replacement like Ubuntu. The other two are emulators.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is kinda neat, but as far as "breathing life into an old PC". you are much better off with Linux, IMHO.

I have the Remix Mini, and it is cool for the $40 that I paid for it, but to be honest it is underpowered, a bit clunky and limited.

The OS is not compatible with every app. There are some glitches with trying to take an app designed for a certain resolution and screen size, and just jamming it into an OS that lets you resize them. Some work fine, some don't.

I like the theory behind it, but the reality of the execution is that it is a novelty at best. Kinda cool to tinker around with, but not as powerful or versatile as my phone, my iPad or my PC. It has elements of all of those, but it doesn't excel at any of them, and sorta leaves you scratching your head.

But hey, it is cheap...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll say one thing for Jide, they really are constantly making tweaks and upgrades to the software.

Can't argue with Squire one bit about some apps not working. Can't blame too much of that on the OS though. Apps that work are apps that are fully coded for a larger variety of screen sizes.

I was a little worried when I got in on the Kickstarter for the Remix Ultra Tablet that these guys would disappear quickly, but they've stayed in touch and are very active in communicating with their customers on the Facebook group and their own forum. I've been really impressed with the company so far.

The fact that they've stuck around and announced another physical product and are now releasing their software for free just leads me to believe that they're that much more serious about making this something truly useful than I though watching their initial KS video.

I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with the software and what other hardware they end up releasing, but at the end of the day, they're going to need support from more developers to get third party apps working better in the windowed environment.

Kinda like the reviews for the Pixel C though. Some apps just WON'T do landscape mode based on the way they've been coded. No amount of extra tweaking to the OS will ever REALLY overcome that, IMO.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen

Yes, I know the Chromebook can do these things under my profile without a problem. However, Chrome apps are not available on my daughter's profile because she is a "supervised user." Therein lies my conundrum. Do I wait for Google to update Chrome or try something altogether so that she has more functionality.

Macktion

DF News Team
Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have the Remix Mini, and it is cool for the $40 that I paid for it, but to be honest it is underpowered, a bit clunky and limited.

I have actually been so disinclined toward it that I STILL have not bothered to unwrap the thing. :/

But to be on topic, I have to agree with Jonny, I am quite pleasantly surprised that the company has had this kind of staying power, especially after the initial Kickstarter push, they have kept working with the community around. This could be good. Different, of course, but maybe a good in-between solution.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Good to see this thread is here as I am looking to snag a remix mini from Amazon.