1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Rom Versus Theme

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Chris0311, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Chris0311

Chris0311 New Member

Can someone please explain the difference between a rom and a theme? I thought the rom was supposed to be the core OS whereas the theme was basically the the program which sets the look of the phone and all the systems. I justed rooted my 2.1 in the last few days and wanted to change the look on my phone. Should I be installing a custom rom or theme? Can anyone recommend a good rom or theme also?

Thanks,

Chris
  2. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

A ROM is the whole package that your phone is running on. When you're stock, you're running on the stock ROM that Moto/Google put together. When you install a custom ROM, you are using a ROM that developers have made modifications to the stock ROM, or the developers built off the source code from the stock rom. A theme is just modifications made to the framework (images). As far as which one you should get, choose any Froyo rom from the Custom Roms section. They are all good.
  3. Chris0311

Chris0311 New Member

Thanks Titans.

Are there any instructions how to install these custom roms? Do I simply download the roms to my desktop and drag them into the root of my sd card?
  4. titans

Yes if it's in nandroid format you restore it as a backup, if its in update.zip format, place it on the root of your sd card.
  5. Chris0311

Chris0311 New Member

So I just put RedRum on my root of my sd card, went into recovery and clicked install, allow update.zip, and install sdcard update zip and rebooted and it still looks the same. Do you know the heck I'm missing here. I'm not doing something right obviously.

Thanks again.

Chris
  6. titans

You probably installed the Red Rum Rom not theme.
  7. Chris0311

Chris0311 New Member

So it downloaded and metamorph says its not a valid file. What am i missing here. Can someone post a link to download the offical redrum theme and instructions for installing it?

Thanks again,

Chris
  8. drivinfocused

drivinfocused New Member

9. Chris0311

Chris0311 New Member

after i extracted all files in metamorph and the phone reboots, everything still looks the same. total soup sandwich here. can someone walk me through this please. sorry guys.

chris
  10. titans

He gave you the wrong this. I'm not sure where to get Red Rum Chaos rom themes, pm bgill55
  11. Chris0311

Chris0311 New Member

I did yesterday. Hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Ok, thanks for all the help.

Chris
  12. lilcdroid

lilcdroid New Member

Chris0311, first off, this is the link to the main team-chaos forum on Droidforums.
    Team Chaos - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Second, I would wait a bit for Bian (Bgill55) to release his updated themes, he's working on a fix for the 2.2 being picky with them. RedRum, Black Ice, Clean Black, are all wonderful themes that go well with the Main ROM of Chaos. Otherwise the 2.1 themes (NON Froyo - make sure to check) are flawless. IMO.

2.1 ROM - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-chaos/47424-rom-redrum-chaos-1-3-sp1.html

2.2 ROM - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-chaos/50766-team-chaos-froyo-rom.html

Hope this suits your needs.
Search tags for this page
phlena855com
www phlena855 co.com

www. phlena 855 .com