ROM to boost data connection??

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So I couldn't really find many ROMs that advertised this feature, or I didn't understand the lingo, but I know ROMs can make the phone faster and I'm pretty sure I've read they can help data speeds as well? Is this accurate?

If so, I need it. My work breakroom gets TERRIBLE reception. It basically cycles between, nothing, one bar of 1g, one bar of 3g, then nothing again. A lot of my coworkers have either a pretty good or decent connection, but mine is worthless. If I walk to the front of the building, it has perfect 4g. So it can't be a signal blocker or the walls in the breakroom causing this problem because other phones, on all networks, work fine. And yes, yes I know Samsung is known for having "weaker" signals, but if I walk 100 feet away it's full 4G everywhere else. I'm pretty sure one coworker uses an S2 and it works fine.

Any thoughts? I'm finally ready to try a ROM, even though I'll still use TSF, but if it helps the connection I'll try anything!

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find a ROM that will help your cell signal strength. That's more of a hardware issue. My S3 doesn't seem to have that problem but I'm not in your environment so I don't have a comparison. It is possible that an app is creating a problem though I have no idea how to tell without starting with a factory reset phone.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
And see the problem isn't necessary cell connection since I can text, make calls, or check voicemail with no problem. Also what's interesting is there are several iPhone users and data connections are just as hit or miss for them. Some peoples work fine, others hardly at all

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a mistake to take the number of bars from one phone to another as an indication that one is getting a stronger signal than another. It's only a relative indicator.

But I'm confused now. Is this a WiFi issue?

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Lol, I didn't say anything about bars. Not to mention how weird it would be if I just went around and unlocked everyone's phone to check their bar reception.

I base my judgement on them using Netflix, playing Words With Friends, and looking up stuff on their browsers, and me not being able to do any of that.

No it's not wifi. I just have crappy reception and not everybody does. So I'm asking if there's a ROM that helps with reception. If not, I guess life goes on :(

PS to leeshor, I'm in Sandy Springs, and everywhere else has perfect 4g but our breakroom...

Sgt Fury

Reaction score
You can turn your data all the way off and still make phone calls and texts. That uses a different antenna and signal.

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Ironically enough it seems to be the older phones that hold the best data connection. A few Iphone 4's and an old Samsung, like original Android smartphone (so it has that "limited" Play store) old, come to mind.