[ROM] The Eagle Has Landed!!!! - Liberty 1.0 1/11/11

sephtin

Reaction score
I posted these questions way back on page 23 of this thread and never got a response. So I figured I give it another shot.....

Couple questions for all those who know more than me.
There are a few options in the settings of the liberty tools app that I am unsure of as what is recommended/used by most of the peeps in the know..

ZipAlign system apps currently it is unchecked
ZipAlign data apps currently it is checked
Clear cache(on boot) currently it is unchecked
Restore apps feature is currently checked

What is the benefit(s)/disadvantages of having each item above checked??
Also, what exactly is the restore app feature about? Is it for when the rom has updates in order to restore your apps after a system wipe or something?
Any input is much appreciated.

Nycorduroy

I'll take a swing, if someone wants to fill in more info on this, that'd be great.

To make .apk's more efficient on memory (I believe), there is a tool that comes with the android SDK called zipalign.
.apk's that come in the ROM (/system folder) are already zipaligned. But themes and apps sometimes are not.
(themes are installed to /system, with some components to /data).
So, since the ROM is already zipaligned, /system is off, as it's not needed, but if installing a theme, or modding framework-res, or any other .apk changes to system, it wouldn't hurt to turn ZipAlign system on for a reboot, then turn it back off.
ZipAlign /data is good to have on, as anytime apps change, they will be checked up on the next reboot, and if needed, zipaligned.

The only downside to having these checked, would be a couple extra seconds of boot time. It won't hurt anything to have them on, and may improve performance slightly.

Clear cache shouldn't be necessary, unless there is a reason to clear it (problems with something, it becomes corrupted, etc.)... which is very rare. The only advantage to having this set that I know of, is if you install a theme, sometimes it's advised to clear cache if there are framework changes in the theme.

Restore apps is a feature, that lets you put apps that you want installed (example, coming from another ROM, or apps that you've backed up).. just put the apps in /sdcard/liberty/restore_apps folder, make sure the box is checked, and they'll be installed.

Lemme know if I missed something.

rolandct

Reaction score
Wow

This is the first ROM I've tried where I see a significant performance improvement over stock after loading all my apps. Nicely done and donate to come.

Any way to check resolutions settings on included camera?

sephtin

Reaction score
Download "Tone Picker"

this app will allow you to choose custom ringtones for contacts.

I created a "how to guide" for "Custom Ringtone for individual contacts" using Tone Picker

Followed the guide, but still no joy for me. As with the AOSP contacts, I'm able to select a custom ringtone for each contact, however, the default ringtone still plays when I receive a call from anyone.

I believe it makes a difference if you have a "primary number" set for a contact... and also whether or not they're calling from that primary number or not... The issue seems random sometimes, I believe because it depends on the number they call from.

mtcawirtz

Reaction score

rfranken

Reaction score
Trying it now Kejar... U DA MAN!

Edit: Didn't work... But thanks for trying! :)

Worked just fine for me.... follow the instructions from the "how to guide" and let me know if it works

Kejar.........Followed the directions to a T and still uses default ringtone.

please go back 1 page and try what i recommended

edit. well now i dont know.
it did work. now it doesn't. rebooting doesn't help. setting primary contact has mixed reviews for me. if i set it....the other number works for the custom ringtone and not the primary. friggen weird.

mtcawirtz

Reaction score
Worked just fine for me.... follow the instructions from the "how to guide" and let me know if it works

it did work. now it doesn't. rebooting doesn't help. setting primary contact has mixed reviews for me. if i set it....the other number works for the custom ringtone and not the primary. friggen weird.

Yes, no go for me as well. Must be something internal to the ROM.

droid fetish

Reaction score

Yes, no go for me as well. Must be something internal to the ROM.
had this problem with gummy 2.5 also, so has to be rom please fix i luv this rom!

Growler48

Reaction score
I created a "how to guide" for "Custom Ringtone for individual contacts" using Tone Picker

Followed the guide, but still no joy for me. As with the AOSP contacts, I'm able to select a custom ringtone for each contact, however, the default ringtone still plays when I receive a call from anyone.

quick comment on tone picker. it appears you have to go into tone picker...and then choose tone picker Again to work.
If you go into tone picker it then gives you a bunch of options....music, zedge, blah blah blah. Choose tone picker and test. that worked for me....nothing else would.

That's exactly what I did. Still didn't work. I guess I'll try some of the other options to see if they work or not...

blueis300

Reaction score
This is my first time loading a rom and have no idea what im doing. i loaded it but im stuck at a flashing liberty screen. How long does it take to load and where is the theamename.zip file located?

OP
K

kejar31

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Looking into the ringtone issue guys, as soon as I figure it out i will post it.

Cytochrome

Reaction score
This is my first time loading a rom and have no idea what im doing. i loaded it but im stuck at a flashing liberty screen. How long does it take to load and where is the theamename.zip file located?

The first boot takes a little longer as it caches all the jar files. If you downloaded the ROM using the browser on your device it will be located here /mnt/sdcard/download

Alternatively you can use your computer to download the ROM, connect via the USB cable and place it anywhere you want on the SD card.