[ROM STABLE] Stock Gingerbread Android 2.3.3 Build GPA15

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by peteralfonso, May 13, 2011.

1. beaton3344

beaton3344 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^ Agreed - Wish all devs would focus on froyo and leave gingerbread alone. I'm not a dev but know a little. I'm not even going to considered gingerbread any more. Just focus on tweaking froyo. I hope all devs do the same. Google is not going to ever release gingerbread for Droid 1 for sure there is a reason behind this. IT CANT DO IT. Plain and simple. I'm running cyanogen 6.1.2. And happy with my phone. Everything works. Not sure how I got so far off running gingerbread and settling for a crappy phone. When the stock version of froyo smokes gingerbread any day.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

2. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The benefits of GB have been discussed plenty. If you don't care for them, great. Live with Froyo. But the real, tangible benefits of GB are numerous and very useful. We use the on-screen keyboard for most of our basic tasks, and that is probably the biggest one. Maybe most people who don't notice this are using an after-market keyboard?

The cursor is also a very useful addition.

Brandon

3. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Unfortunately, I have yet to see a build of GB for the OG Droid that will allow us to use our phone reliably AS a phone. Lock ups, random reboots, ringers that won't stop, etc... unacceptable. I'm sure the developers are working on this, but for me Bugless Beast or Sourcery 2.2 beat ANY Gingerbread build hands down.

4. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've never had any lock ups, random reboots or ringers that won't stop on any GB build for my Droid. I've used GPA and Simply Stunning for the past 6 months or so. Mine works great as a phone.

Brandon

5. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    You're one of the few and rare lucky ones if postings in this forum are any indication. My own experience backs the opposite. Had to switch back to a FroYo ROM before I tried to fix Gingerbread with a BIG ****ing HAMMER. It would've felt good at the time, but in the long run I would've missed having my phone, and D1s are harder to come by these days.

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can get that Gingerbread keyboard with several custom Froyo roms. I have it with Project Elite. It's ok, but I prefer Swiftkey X or Flextxt 9.

7. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you can count me as lucky too then. I think that the number of people that have the phone call issues are actually the minority. If more people had the problem then these threads would be on fire with people complaining. Yes, there are posts about the problem, but not that many in comparison to how many people have been using GPA or any of the other full GB ROMs.

8. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    If it was JUST the phone I could live with that (I don't really use it all that often AS a phone) but I do use it a lot as a navigator and music player (often at the same time) in my car. That was more than likely to result in a random reboot.

Or using the phone as a camera... that was GUARANTEED to lock up the phone after one or two photos, and you either had to do a "Battery Pull" to reboot or just wait about five minutes and it'd reboot itself for you.

And finally, the loss of data connectivity after a phone call. Didn't happen all of the time, but it happens frequently enough to be an annoyance.

There was ONE thing I preferred about GB over FY, though... the Map application. Same app, but different behaviors under each OS... specifically if you just open the Map app and leave it in passive (non-navigator) mode when in the Car Dock. Under FY, there is no difference between in the Car Dock, or out of the Car Dock. Under GB, in the Car Dock the display looks like it does in Navigator mode and it is a LOT easier to read the cross street names. Under FroYo it is zoomed out way too far, and if you zoom in, it will eventually zoom back out again.

Also, under GB, you can tap the little checkered flag icon and it will shift into "Navigator Mode." Under FY, there is a LOT more tapping to do in order to get it into Navigator mode. That's one of the reasons I'm hoping that eventually the developers will get GB running on the OG Droid as solidly and reliably as FY runs now.

9. bplewis24

bplewis24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The fact is that the D1 isn't spec'd out to handle Gingerbread, so the experience definitely varies across devices. Also, most GB ROMs have to make sacrifices or be aggressive with memory management in order to keep things running smoothly. My only issue with GB ROMs is that either they run a bit sluggishly or they don't multi-task well. So far, GPA14 is the only GB ROM I've used that ran nearly perfectly smooth and yet still allowed me to multi-task as much as I wanted. GPA15 caused my phone to go back to constant redraws and booting of Pandora out of memory.

Right now SS5.4 is running stable with multi-tasking, but it's slightly more sluggish than GPA14. I'm going to try out different kernels to see if it helps.

Brandon

10. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Have you tried zeppelinrox's "SuperCharger" script? If not, you should. It made a bigger difference in performance than overclocking the kernel.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

11. rkeller62

rkeller62 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have actually read of instances where that script made some of these custom ROMs perform worse. As with anything, YMMV..

12. buellboy9

buellboy9 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    He gives you fifteen different choices to pick however you like your phone to behave. Mine works best with Choice #7 (Balanced #3).

Search tags for this page
android 2.3.3 rom
android 2.3.3 rom download
atrix gingerbread stock rom
download gpa15deodexed.zip

gpa15deodexed

gpa15deodexed.zip

gpa15deodexed.zip download

moto a855 stock rom
motorola droid a855 stock gingerbread roms
rom android 2.3 motorola a855