[ROM STABLE] Android 2.2 FRF84B (Clean, Untouched, Virgin)

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by peteralfonso, Jun 30, 2010.

1. dwoid

dwoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after doing copious backups, formats and restores of my SD cards, I've got an answer for this...

Froyo's equivalent of apps2sd does *not* require that you create an EXT formatted partition on your SD card. Virgin Froyo does not provide any way to create an EXT partitions, and it stores applications on your SD card without you having to do that. Where it stores applications on the SD card I'm not sure yet.

Based on that, I'm also guessing that if you've got apps2sd with an EXT partition already running on your Drioid, installing virgin Froyo probably *will not* provide native support for any applications that are stored on your existing EXT partition. That is just a guess, I've never run a ROM that provided apps2sd functionality, but it seems pretty logical, although I'll bow to anyone's experience based wisdom on this.

Comparing Froyo with apps2sd, of my 90 odd installed apps, about 8 are currently supporting Froyo's spec for moving to SD, and therefore right now we probably aren't going to save a lot of space with this functionality. Maybe later on it will be more helpful. It's also important to note that active widgets, live wallpaper, skins and any other applications that need to be dynamically available to the system at boot time probably should not be moved to SD card. If they are, they may not be fully functional for you after yoru Droid finishes booting (for example, SetCPU's widget gets messed up this way).

#73 dwoid, Jul 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  2. bpassino

bpassino Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone compared speed and stability of this ROM with BB 0.4?

3. dwoid

dwoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure everyone has their own observations about this... Here are mine:

FRF84B is extremely stable, with very few disappointments. BUT, day-to-day stability depends heavily on what kernel you are using and on how you have SetCPU setup. If you use either the stock 600MHz kernel or the more feature-full version of the stock kernel provided by Pete, I suspect you'll have great stability...

But if you're using other kernels, you're going to be doing a lot of testing and experimenting to find the best. I'm currently using Chevy's Medium Voltage 1.25MHz 7-slot kernel. I've actually found that medium voltage runs cooler and overall uses less power on my Droid, and this one does a very nice job.

SetCPU under Froyo depends 100% on system battery temp for the key Failsafe profile. Happily, system battery temp works properly under Froyo, where it didn't work at all reliably under 2.1. But unfortunately system battery temp isn't as reactive as CPU temp. The CPU temp spikes are, at least in my experience, where the boot loops, hangs and random boots seem to occur the most.

The other wild card is literally what you run on your Droid. I'm a heavy user of live wallpapers and other high graphic stuff, and this kind of thing pushes the CPU to higher temps than simpler things. So in general I have to be more careful about my temps.

I had tried all of the Froyo ROMs before FRF84B came out, mostly testing for stability at relatively high speed, but didn't find one that met my criteria well enough until now. My preference in the past has been for the Stock Rooted ROMs because they usually offer the best in this respect, and FRF84B seems to consistently offer that.

Thanks Pete, I really appreciate your consistent efforts to provide the Stock Rooted ROMs for those of us who prefer them. FRF84B has been a joy to work with, and clearly I'm staying with it, at least until your next Stock Rooted ROM is released (I'm guessing it will be Stock Rooted OTA 2.2 :icon_ banana:).

P.S. Well, here's a surprise, Froyo supports Bluetooth ear-set voice commands!

#75 dwoid, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  4. eddieonofre

eddieonofre Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what does deoxeded and Oxeded exactly mean????

5. eddieonofre

eddieonofre Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. dieselbmw

dieselbmw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to know the difference between the 2 as well. I have no idea what those words mean either.

7. blackngray70

blackngray70 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    #79 blackngray70, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  8. Stories

Stories Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, Pete. This was really useful to me.

9. smokingmonkeydroid

smokingmonkeydroid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Pete for all your wonderful hard work. I understand this is a virgin version of froyo and i downloaded the deodexed version for the options. Not to sound like a noob here, but I am curious if anyone has flashed any themes over it anyway and if they have which ones worked. I am putting this on my girlfriends phone because she wants adobe flash w/o any other mods but I would like to flash a theme on there as well...any thoughts?

10. scrizzo

scrizzo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I may be wrong but my understanding of "deodexed" is allowing files to be write-able instead of read-only. This would allow easier modifications and themes. I'm going to guess any theme out for the current 2.2 build would work on this one as long as its deodexed.

Again, this is just a guess from what my current understanding is.

11. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As to the themes, I am running 928's smoked glass with no problems. I have also metamorphed a few widgets to clear, again with no problems.

Thank you Eitel for the market tip on Busybox. I had to reinstall the rom on Sunday due to some stupidity trying to reflash my baseband while roaming, and going back to an older rom during the weekend to try and get my cell phone roaming working. The market busybox seems to work, and does look to properly symlink in bin. Metamorph and Titanium seem to be cool with this version of busybox.

The only issue I am seeing right now is that whenever I toggle the r/o r/w switch in root explorer, my su gets broken. I have this isolated, and confirmed and have also confirmed that SUFBS (another root explorer type program) does not break SU. I am not sure if it is caused by a faulty root explorer program, possibly this version of Busybox or what, but I will trouble shoot it when I get some time. Otherwise, this stock rom works wonderfully. No other issues at all.

Craig

12. Schoat333

Schoat333 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just installed this on my 3 day old droid.

Works great so far.

Search tags for this page
android 2.2 cleaner
black beast rom android

clean android 2.2 rom

clean untouched virgins wallpapers
download clean rom for android 2.2

oxeded

what is oxeded and de-oxeded on s4 sprint