[rom] ss 5.01 gb - 3/3/11 - ready!

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by ChevyNo1, Mar 3, 2011.

1. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

MOST IMPORTANT - READ THIS ENTIRE POST BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!!! If you have ANY issues, ie. maps not locating, market crashing, etc - RUN FIX PERMISSIONS from tools (this runs the RM version now). This will clear up many issues!!

If you are coming from 5.00 - no wipe, just install - if from any other ROM (including Froyo) you can attempt an install with no wipe - but if you have ANY issues that seem to be odd - WIPE! Case in point:

If you get stuck on the 'M' - first step is to reboot into recovery, then wipe cache (not just dalvik-cache, but CACHE). SOMETIMES this doesn't even work. A surefire way to ensure it is cleared is to enter these commands via adb shell:

umount /cache
    format CACHE:

Then reboot. If it still fails - try a different kernel.

If you get random reboots, not to the 'M', but right to the bootanimation - run my task killer - this will clear a few things up and hopefully the problem as well.

"Oh, also, my home button doesn't do anything." - TIME TO WIPE!

If your market sticks on a download - a reboot should take care of it.

bkapps/rstapps - The issue with it looking for the wrong folder has been fixed (only affected coming from Froyo -> GB)

Also for rstapps - After restoring, it will now run fix_permissions before the reboot. I am HOPING this will fix some of the FC issues you have experienced after restoring. This will mean that rstapps will take considerably longer though, so be patient (read: go get a coffee or beer!)

Longpress on camera makes it buzz many times but still functional ... camcorder will FC if you try to zoom while recording.

1. Pretty much EVERYTHING compiled through ProGuard (shrinker, optimizer, obfuscator, and preverifier) - in addition, everything zipaligned!

2. Almost forgot - working DSP Manager! :)

3. You can NOW get text messages with pictures! :)

4. Most bugs from 5.00 fixed (see 5.00 bug list)

5. This uses CM as a base - this means you will see new things that come straight from CM :) So here I give credit where credit is due. With 5.01, I also include ALL CM Settings.

Noteable additions:

CyanogenMod Settings now present, right below ChevyNo1Tools
    Toggles (ie wireless, bluetooth, gps, sound) now present in pulldown - and using CM Settings, configurable now
    Music controls on lockscreen, in addition to my screen-off controls
    Rotary Lockscreen
    Many settings under CM Settings - you might see a few duplicates between those and my Tools
    Theme Changer/Manager (Androidian/Cyanbread NOT included as they HAVE to sit in /system and short on space)

6. ChevyNo1Tools modification - if you use the 'back' button to exit - it will now completely remove the app from memory, giving you more to play with. If you use the 'Home' button, it will still remain in memory, the default behavior

7. OS has been modified to reduce system logging by 40% - less time logging = more time to perform tasks you ask for!

8. Ability to 'clear' Gtalk issues - under Scripts/Other (requires reboot)

9. New kernels now support compcache (and ability to change settings via new option: Performance Tweaks - no longer using compcache file in /data/chevyno1)

10. Overclock now set via menu options. Also under Performance Tweaks

11. Original Launcher is once again included - I know a few of you have asked for this option. I will say however that it takes considerably more memory to run than ADW - and our D1 is short on that. It does not have to be deleted if you do not use it, meaning it will not take precious resources just sitting there.

12. Updated kernels - less logging, so theoretically should be faster - also slot update to 1.25LV (was misconfigured)

13. Installing this ROM will wipe out the system partitition.

14. Battery % added to non-themed version

15. New task killer - runs at boot, and can be run as a one-off, under Options. This task killer uses a preset list of tasks to kill, those are listed in /data/chevyno1/csm.lst. You can edit this on the phone using your own editor, or pull/push using ADB. At some point I will try to make this with a UI. As delivered, this is the contents:

# LOOP DELAY - Try LOOP times, sleep DELAY seconds between loops
    # So '20 3' means it will be active for 60 seconds - keep this in mind
    # 20 3
    android.process.media
    com.android.deskclock
    com.android.email
    com.android.music
    com.android.protips
    com.android.providers.calendar
    com.android.providers.media
    com.android.quicksearchbox
    com.android.voicedialer
    com.bel.android.dspmanager
    com.cooliris.media
    com.cyanogenmod.cmparts
    com.google.android.apps.maps:FriendService
    com.google.android.apps.maps:NetworkLocationService
    com.google.android.partnersetup
    com.google.android.voicesearch
    com.google.android.youtube
    com.koushikdutta.rommanager
    com.koushikdutta.rommanager.license
    com.tmobile.thememanager
    com.vzw.vvm.androidclient
    net.cactii.flash2

The above settings will actively kill these proceses for 60 seconds after the bootanimation completes. You may want to add/remove apps from this list. For example, notice that RM and CMParts are in the list. If, immediately after bootup, you open RM, you may find it disappear before your eyes, because csm is killing it. You can either remove it from the list, or tweak the LOOP/DELAY parameters to your liking. In addition, you can completely turn it off by typing in 'csm off' in terminal. Other commands available from terminal:

csm set 5 5 - This will change LOOP/DELAY to 5/5
    csm off - turn it off completely
    csm on - turns it on and runs it once with no looping or delay
    csm settings - displays current settings

Additionally - if you place a '#' in front of any app in the list, it will be ignored.

Also, as far as task killing - part of the Android OS is that if it sees a process die, it will reschedule a startup again of the task. This, as far as task killing, is a PITA. Therefore I have modified the OS to also NOT restart any apps contained in csm.lst.

This task killer can have a pretty big impact on how much free memory you have. The lack of available memory has been the major cause of the soft resets (ie. to bootanimation and not the 'M') that you have seen. Also to help in this area - compcache is enabled by default going forward, and the Dalvik VM has been updated as well. You can still change these to suit your needs, but after extensive testing these are the defaults I see that work best. If you run the task killer option from my tools, it will also reset compcache ( a good practice every couple of days in lieu of a reboot). So make good use of this!

And the LINKS!!!

Themed - http://chevyno1.richstevenson.com/gingerbread/5.01/SS-GB-5.01-update.zip
    UN-Themed - http://chevyno1.richstevenson.com/gingerbread/5.01/SS-GB-5.01-update-unthemed.zip

Themed - SS-GB-5.01-update.zip - simply-stunning - Simply Stunning 5.01 - Gingerbread Themed - Project Hosting on Google Code
    UN-Themed - SS-GB-5.01-update-unthemed.zip - simply-stunning - Simply Stunning 5.01 - Gingerbread UN-Themed - Project Hosting on Google Code

Themed - Mirror courtesy of coolsabre57
    UN-Themed - Mirror courtesy of sgtguthrie

And lastly - and I HATE TO DO THIS - but I am now out of a job - so if you are feeling generous and you appreciate the hard work I put into these ROMS and kernels - it is MUCH APPRECIATED. Donate link in my sig.

#1 ChevyNo1, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  2. CJM

CJM Super Moderator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6
    Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/Corey
    Thanks Chevy.

Swyped from a Droid

3. driodman

driodman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    awesome and should i wipe my phone coming from froyo or should it just install right over froyo

4. DeadCheshireCat

Ratings:
    +0
    dl'ing now! Thanks Chevy!!

5. noiofnine

noiofnine Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet jesus.... gonna dl and install now. Was waiting on this so I can start themeing honeycomb. Hehehe. Thanks a bunch

Themed and unthemed links.... they are the same just different hosting?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

6. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    if you are running 5.00 now - install over top, no wipe!

7. bigmike35

bigmike35 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the b-day present chevy!! always good stuff as normal!

8. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Happy b-day bud! :)

9. jimmydene84

jimmydene84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am officially freaking out! I was hoping u would combine all ur tweaks with all the CM settings!! I'm man enuf to say this I LOVE YOU CHEVY!!!

10. bigmike35

bigmike35 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you! What is the recovery file in the rom? new recovery or something? Compatible with rz?

11. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Nope - just a 'dummy' file I guess you could say - recovery normally comes in CM's roms but I removed it - directory still there - will not touch your current recovery

12. ChevyNo1

ChevyNo1 Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    Ha ha ha! And I'm man enuff to say thanks ;)