ROM selection

mchoffa

Reaction score
I just got my Droid X in the mail, activated it, and rooted it with Z4, but I have no idea what roms are good, etc. After reading around, I've noticed that some don't allow you to use all of the features, like HDMI out, etc. I want something blurless, but I don't want to lose any functionality. Are any of the roms available fully functional?

I was running Charity Smoked Glass on my droid which i loved due to the speed increase and stability, and would like something comparable.

Thanks in advance!

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rubiX focused, the gummyJAR series and now liberty are my faves

OP
M

mchoffa

Reaction score
so on both liberty and rubix, does everything work as it should? hdmi, 720p recording, bluetooth, etc?

rubix looks nice, but I don't want to lose any functionality

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
you will lose the blur camera app for the AOSP cam, which is a downgrade is some people's opinion, you can always bring the blur cam back though

spicoli1980

Reaction score
I just jumped from d1 to x myself. I am loving Liberty, but to be honest I haven't tried anything else, but don't know why I would Liberty is awesome.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
M

mchoffa

Reaction score
you will lose the blur camera app for the AOSP cam, which is a downgrade is some people's opinion, you can always bring the blur cam back though

the camera app isn't all that spectacular to me... The standard camera app is fine... I just want to make sure actual functionality is all there still... is anything at all not working with Liberty? (or Rubix)

el_ote

Reaction score
I agree with mr spicoli. But u will lose all blur related items such as hdmi out... its annoying to not have(my hdmi cable came in from amazon day I rom'd) but I wouldn't go bak...

N

Nickchapa

Get rubix. You wont be dissapointed. If need be use root explorer to copy the camera the phobe comes with (apk) and put ut in the systens folder and reboot but remove the one thats in the system after installing rubix. But ya try rubix and you wont be sad at all. Also black juice blue or green themes for it are awesome :) hole that helps.

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
It's impossible to go with a Blurless ROM and keep all functionality. Likewise, it's impossible to stay on a Blur ROM and get as much functionality as you do with a Blurless ROM (like performance). You have to pick one or the other. There are ROMs that try to be a hybrid between the two but you have to decide what you want, what's important to you, and what you can't live without.

If you absolutely NEED HDMI out, then you need to stick with a Blur-based ROM. Rubix Blurry is an option to consider for this as a hybrid. Ultimately, spend a few hours installing various different ROMs and try them for yourself. None are perfect, but many are damned good!

OP
M

mchoffa

Reaction score
I tried Rubix focused and blurry and although both were speedy, I didn't like either one completely... decided not to try liberty as I really want to keep the hdmi, etc, so I tried Apex 1.3.1... seems to have everything I want so far... only a couple hours in, so we'll see I guess