rom roms ROMS!!

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Shakefist, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Shakefist

Shakefist New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok since i first installed rom manager onto my droid the content and available roms has increased exponentially... and i find this frustrating.

After i took the leap into modding ive been excited about the possilities that this wonderful little machine carries but i always seem to be slightly dissapointed due to the fact that there isnt a rom out there that has all of what i desire in my phone. (if someone has a link that shows comparisons, images and descriptions of all or most of the available roms then post it and read no more. the rest of you continue on...)

so.... Heres what i want my phone to do:
    Wireless Tethering (can you just download this app or does it come with certain roms?)
    Overclocking
    Facebook Contact syncing
    and i like that home screen that has the 4 shortcuts that stay while the screens scroll.

Heres what i dont want:
    Force Closes
    Laggy Scrolling
    and that weird app list that moves like its wrapping around a cube. its really slow even when overclocked at 1.2 ghz

I have tried cyanogen but it doesnt have wireless tethering.
    i have tried ultimate but its laggy and force closes too much. and alot of the fonts dont fit right not to mention every time i try to install a new font it makes me reactivate my phone.
    i tried adamz smoked glass 6.0 and that was by far the smoothest running rom appearance-wise but it wouldnt let me root and there was no wireless. i dont know if the root problem was my fault or not.

any help at this point would be greatly appreciated. and if someone has a list of the pros of modding that would be great too. i really can only see overclocking tethering and appearance as benifits to modding but thats probably due to my lack of knowledge in the topic.
    thanks

2. bizfox

bizfox Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cyanogen has wifi tethering built in in Settings - Wireless. It's called USB Tethering...

This is from when I used CM a while back.. may be different now. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Note: As far as the 3d app drawer goes, you can always replace it with Helix1 from the Market.

3. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The most stable rom that i have tried was simply stunning by chevyNo1. i never got any force closes and i enjoyed very low temps and it was not laggy at all. Also it was one of the only roms that had facebook contact syncing working. as far as the launcher with the 4 shortcuts on the bottom, thats helix launcher, its a free app that u can get off the market. and it has an overclocking kernal preinstalled that is also/made by chevyno1

4. Palantirion

Palantirion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    -How do you access Helix's overclocking feature?????

5. powerwagon

powerwagon Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Cyanogen has wifi tethering...once installed, go to this site P3Droid Kernels ....has different overclocking kernels there as well as the wifi-tethering and usb tethering app. Both are very small files that you can download directly from your phone...takes about 30 secs. As others have said, just download helix1 from the market and use that...runs smooth and gives you the option to dock apps and still scroll. I am running cyanogen 5.0.5.7 @ 1.1ghz and it's very stable and extremely quick. This rom gives option that no other rom gives at the moment...at least in its stock form.

good luck and let me know if you have questions.

Alan

6. Kmart95

Kmart95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My bad, i kind of worded that wrong. Helix isn't the thing that has the over clocking kernel. I was talking about the ROM Simply Stunning

7. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol Senior Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Your best bet really is to try multiple ROMs. What may work for you, may not work for others. Ultimate Droid, Bugless Beast, Cyanogen, Simply Stunning, Smoked Glass, and many others are all quite good. There is no perfect ROM for everyone.

About your issue with smoked glass, that sounds like a problem on your end. Maybe a kernel issue, maybe not. Try barnacle on the market if you are still using SG, see if that solves your wifi tether issue.

8. bje1982

bje1982 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You couldnt root with smoked glass v6? that doesnt make sense to me because you have to be rooted to install smoked glass...? I have smoked glass 6 with wireless tether overclocked to 1.2g i have helix launcher and ive probably had 2 force closes since i installed the rom a month ago.. smoked glass is by far the best ive tried and i tried all thhe roms on here.. Pm me and ill send you the wireless tether .apk ... im also using chevyno1 7 slot 1.2g overclock kernal seems to be the only one that made my phone snappier.. im a newbie too but ive been experimenting alot and i think i have things down to a science now..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010